Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like to ride long distances so I knew that the stock seat was going to have to be replaced pretty soon after buy my bike. I searched around and decided to go with a Laam seat for a few reasons:
1. Lifetime warranty on the seat cover - Nevada Sun kills things, I like that if the cover fades or falls apart I can get it re-covered free of charge
2. Reasonable price
3. Unlimited 'adjustments' to the seat if I don't like it
4. Reasonably close by - about 4 hours away from my house depending on the route taken.

In addition I did quite a bit of reading about Seth and his seats - it seems that nearly every poor review or problem was related to communication and/or shipping the seats. Seth does not charge any additional money for a 'ride-in' appointment which avoids both of these issues. I only found a single review where someone was un-happy with their seat and ultimately seth ended up purchasing them a new factory seat. My suggestion would be that if you want to get a seat made by Seth you either do a ride in appointment, or you schedule your seat work for 'off season' so that you can be patient with the shipping and communication side of things. I did a ride-in appointment.

My day started at about 3:30 am. Seth lives 4 hours from my house and ride-in appointments always start at 8am. I was torn between riding the bike or trailering it, but when I woke up to temperatures around 35 degrees and pouring rain the decision was easy. The entire drive from my house to Seths (he runs the business from a shop in his back yard) the temp never rose above 40 and it was snowing like crazy in the higher elevations so I didn't regret my choice not to ride.

I arrived at Seths just a little before 8am I unloaded the bike and pulled it into his shop. He started by having me sit on the bike and we discussed what type of riding I do, what was uncomfortable and anything I knew I wanted changed. Seth explained that he could give me an 'all day max comfort' seat, but for someone my size a seat like that is quite wide and wouldn't look 'sexy'. He told me that he could build me whatever I wanted and the choice was mine. I gave seth the following input:
1. I wanted to sit slightly further back - on the stock seat the 'rise' the passenger pad was about where my butt natturally wanted to be. In addition my knees hit right on the crease in the tank.
2. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being totally focused on asthetic value, and 10 being a seat that I could ride back to back 1000 mile days comfortable I wanted a 7. I didn't want it to look like someone grafted a gold-wing seat on my bike, but I was more concerned with comfort than looks.
3. I didn't need the seat height to change, but if raising it a bit allowed for a more 'soft' foam and better comfort I was Ok with a bit taller.
4. I didn't want to be sliding up onto the tank all the time - the stock seat wasn't terrible in this regard but I did have the tendency to slide forward.

Seth then marked up my stock seat cover with some chalk and got to work. He has a nice area in the back yard where I was invited to relax and wait and use his wifi.
The process is much as you would imagine:
Remove the stock seat cover
Cut up the stock foam
Glue-on additional foam
Shape the new foam
Test shape and fit on the bike
Cover the new foam to finish the seat.

While seth was working I looked through some color options, he will really do whatever you want, but I decided to go simple with black texture on the top, smooth black on the sides, and silver stitching which picks up the natural aluminum color of my 2016 model. I considered having some silver accents added but Seth didn't have any fabric that looked like a good match. Pictures in the next post......

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some photos of the process....seth did most of this 'free hand' based on his experience. Seth has a couple of basic patterns that he starts with and then does all the layout and shaping from there 'free hand' based on his experience and my requests.

This is the seat with some layout lines as it was being shapped at different stages.
IMG_20200519_115718.jpg
IMG_20200519_100135.jpg

This is the cover as it was being cut out
IMG_20200519_115727.jpg

This is Seth doing the foam shaping.
IMG_20200519_094640.jpg

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only ridden about 100 miles on the new seat - so far it is much better than the stock seat. Seth moved me back about 2 inches, made the seat a bunch wider, and adjusted the front/back angle to help eliminate the forward slide. He also kept the front portion of the seat relatively narrow and didn't make the pocket where my butt sits 'deep' so that I can still easily move around on the seat when the roads get twisty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Awesome post! It's great to hear about how your experience shook out.

The seat looks comfy. My old Versys had a Russell Daylong seat with a similar shape and it was ridiculously comfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I'm weird but to me the stock seat is one of the best I've ever had. Can ride more than 2 hrs without even feeling the need to shift around.

It seems we're all different. Good you found your seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks good. What was the total cost? Do you have his contact info? Redding is only 2hrs away from me and the stock fz09 seat is trash.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I'm weird but to me the stock seat is one of the best I've ever had. Can ride more than 2 hrs without even feeling the need to shift around.
It seems we're all different. Good you found your seat.
True- isn't it strange how comfort is such a personal thing? I will say that I found the stock seat fine for daily commute and short rides (around 100-150 miles). When it really got ugly was after about 300 miles in a day - my tailbone and 'sit' bones would be aching, and would continue to do so for several days after the ride. I'm also a pretty big guy, and the stock seat is probably a much better fit for someone who isn't quite as ...fluffy.... as I am.

Looks good. What was the total cost? Do you have his contact info? Redding is only 2hrs away from me and the stock fz09 seat is trash.
My total cost was 399. Prices are on his site and vary depending on if you want vinyl or leather, and if you do a 2up seat or just the driver portion, and if you want heat.
This is Seth's website: Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats. If your planning/thinking of doing a ride-in you should just call him, there is a contact form on his website but he'll just email you back asking for a call instead. This is his cell # 530-351-5643 (Text friendly).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did my own seats for my 07 cbr1k but they didn't look anywhere near as good as his seats. Thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts