Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought an MT/FZ for my Mrs. She's been riding since her early teens and has owned half a dozen bikes, including an FZ6, a Blade, and a GSXR 750.

I have plans to make the 09 handle and stop like the engine deserves. And being a serial modifier, I want to make it look unique as well.

So to start things off...here's a pic from my mate who works at the dealership. :D

We pick it up on Tuesday. WOOOHOOO!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We brought it home yesterday! The only time you'll ever see me post pics of a stock bike!

Kyls was stoked...but too hot!

Spring has sprung here in South Australia... so it's gone straight from 20C/68F to 37C/99F! ...as it does. Bit of a shock for my office girl, so I spent the day fitting mods and setting it up for her. She did pitch in occasionally, however... here she is enjoying one of those rare "New Owner"thrills...

Today was a few degrees cooler so she headed out to break it in.

And off she goes!. I managed to fit a Pyramid Plastics screen, FP Racing levers, OES frame and axle protectors, Rizoma tail light, Graves tail tidy (don't bother :( )... and removed the pillion pegs and seat strap. The rear axle was hugely out of alignment, MASSIVELY overtightened...and had ZERO slack. To the point the rear suspension was bound up. Nice one Yamaha!

Later this eve I fitted an Akra Ti system. Took me 1/2 an hour to remove one and fit the other.

Makes you realise the difference between good and bad R&D! I spent 3 hours fitting and removing the Graves tail tidy...over and over. It's still shite.

She's a happy girl though... Happy wife, happy life. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad she likes the new bike. That's a nice looking FZ09 too btw. Can't wait to start modding mine in the spring!

Reactions: carbonr1

·
Registered
102 Posts
Makes you realise the difference between good and bad R&D! I spent 3 hours fitting and removing the Graves tail tidy...over and over. It's still shite.

She's a happy girl though... Happy wife, happy life. :)

I was looking at the Graves tail tidy.. Shite indeed.. I ended up going for the Zap Racing one great fit and looks good.. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the Graves tail tidy.. Shite indeed.. I ended up going for the Zap Racing one great fit and looks good.. ;)
I have a Zap one on my FZ1!... i should of looked harder!. Shane (Graves) contacted me on FB tonight. I'll send him pics tomoz and see what we can resolve.... pita though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hope you get it sorted, the Graves gear is usually top notch.

Glad the wife likes the new bike ..... Time for mods to the FZ1 now.... lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you get it sorted, the Graves gear is usually top notch.

Glad the wife likes the new bike ..... Time for mods to the FZ1 now.... lol
I've spent thousands with them over the years... 2 lighly modded R1's, 1 highly modded R1, 2 R6's and the FZ1. Shane has just gone on the attack on FB though...typical! Calm down buddy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
that's a nice lookin MT-09. Enjoy!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This thread is worthless without pics, right? :D

So here we are on day 3 of ownership.

I've fitted the Pyramid plastics screen.

The FP Racing levers.

The Rizoma tail light and Graves tail tidy.

Removed the pillion seat strap and pegs. And shortened and relocated the rear reservoir, as well as fitting Hel braided lines front and rear.

The OES frame and axle sliders kit.

And the obligatory Akrapovic Ti full system. Woohoo...flamage!

I also made a rad guard and a couple of intake shroud grills out of some hex stamped alloy.

And so far she's done 200kms and had 2 oil and filter changes..... rev range is now 2.5 to 8.5. I've had asneaky little thrap around the backstreets (I'm a little disqualified!)...and what a light and responsive beast! I'm very impressed.

Still to come...new bars and bar end mirrors, grips, tyres, new suspension and a custom paintjob. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking good mate... love the flamage.. isn't that compulsory with every MT 09.... what made you go for the Titanium system over the Carbon ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good mate... love the flamage.. isn't that compulsory with every MT 09.... what made you go for the Titanium system over the Carbon ?
The E mark and the local Nazi hunt & kill squad/fun police. That and it's her bike...she only needs fruity noise not peak power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
must admit the kill squad ain't too keen on the flames over in WA....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice job on the mods, i like.

Cheers mate. :)

I don't know if it was the oem brake lines or poor pre delivery bleeding, but the brakes were spongy as hell with loads of lever travel. The HEL lines and fresh Castrol RBF have transformed the feel and travel. Previously 25-30mm of spongy travel, now 5mm of solid, instant pressure. Much improved.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also got a bit of time for some nerdy OCD mods...which make make me happy!

I fitted LED numberplate lights to the apparently US market only, Graves tail tidy. The OEM indicators are relocated too close together for a 6 number Aussie plate. So to stop the plate from gouging holes in the indicator lenses, I had to put 12mm spacers between the plate and the tail tidy. This meant the threads on the LED bolts were too short to get nuts onto, behind the Graves tail tidy. So I had to drill two more holes through both the numberplate and the tail tidy to allow for the threads and wires. Also the instructions and template for the seat lock cover were out by 12 mm, and when I moved the holes to the correct position, I had to fit the Graves spacer upside down to clear the oem hinge. And I haven't begun to mention how the Graves unit, with it's spacers to allow for indicator wires, make the whole thing sit 15mm lower than oem, forcing the bodywork to spread. Just because Graves didn't line up the holes for the wires with the OEM hole. Phew! Hey, They offered me 30% off on my NEXT purchase! ...roit.

Anyhoo...

Also, thanks to you lovely people, I relocated the horn and cut off the excess front brake line bracket.

And fitted some Chinese copies of Rizoma bar end mirrors, pinched from my FZ1.

Kylie's not convinced about those (bloody practical sensible woman!), I hope to get her used to the smaller, lower mirror....in exchange for the sleeker, tougher look.

We'll see... ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more before I hit the hay...

Renthal medium grips. Like Techspec pads for your hands. They grip you so you don't have to grip them.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's been a while since I updated this thread...but some cool new bits went on today. :D

A week or so ago, I fitted an Ohlins shock...

Ohlins cartridges and fork springs have yet to be installed.

And some Lightech chain adjusters...

Just before Christmas I fitted some Driven block off plates....

And a pre dynotuned PCV...

On Sunday I fitted Kevs O2 controller...

No picture. ;)

And today I fitted Pyramid Plastics solo seat cowl....

And radiator shrouds....

I think they look brilliant, and add some shoulders to the look of the bike....

The shrouds and solo cowl are unpainted at the moment. I had plans to paint the MT something like this...

I did a rough, tape version, but I'm not convinced....

I know how I'd like to do the screen, front fender, air intakes, shrouds and tank... But I don't think the solo cowl would look right white.

Perhaps just the sides up to the facet, with a red point and thick black pinstripe.

The other option is to just paint the tank and shrouds pearl white, and colour match the cowl and screen to the fender.

My painter is expecting me late Jan, so I'll keep mulling ideas. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Man you have gone balls deep with this bike in a short space in time, been taking my mods pretty slowly but waiting on some Givi bits inc a screen and some handguards, the Rad guard and inserts look good, would you consider making some more of those for someone else? The O2 mod from Kev sounds excellent and it would be great to hear your feedback from that, the closed to open loop transition is a bit shite. Your Missus must be stoked this bike Im sure.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts