Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here own or have any experience with the 990 SMT? I sold a my Buell Ulysses prior to buying the FZ and lately I’ve found myself missing the tall, comfortable ergonomics of the Buell. I had nothing but problems with that bike (Buell), and from the research that I’ve done, the 990 seems to be a reliable alternative (albeit a little maintenance intensive), and very comparable in handling/comfort.

There’s a lot of info specific to the SMTs, but I’m curious whether anyone with experience on both the FZ and the SMT could compare the two? I really enjoy the upright, quick-handling characteristics of the FZ. I’d like something that will let me stretch my legs out on longer trips.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have owned a 990 SMR & a 990 SMT great bikes, the SMT has more grunt than the MT & is faster every where, the SMT handles better comparing standard bike against standard bike, the 990 is a not light on fuel the 09 beats it hands down & the MT is lighter, the SMT is very comfortable for long rides, the STD screen on the SMT is poor it drove me around the bend with wind noise, I compiled a mod book on all my mods done to this model here : KTM 990 SMT Forum - Join the conversation

Some Dyno runs shoot outs both bikes run on the same Dyno at different dates, the MT has a custom PCV map with a DNA air filter + snorkel cut out STD exhaust, the SMT was modified with many performance mods which are cheap to do refer mod book.

MT09 RED V modified SMT in Blue = HP/RPM

MT09 RED V modified SMT Blue = Torque. The 990 motor has hard hitting torque with a quick reving motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive currently got a MT with loads of mods but my previous bike was a KTM SDR
I know its not a SMT but its the same LC8 engine
For me the SDR was a totally different bike to ride mainly due to it being a twin with alot more engine braking,
i didnt mind this as had have a couple of Ducatis in the past
It feels heavy compared to the MT but has more power and torque and to be the opposite to the MT the suspension is to say the least on the hard side.
It was the R version though and in hindsight would say the normal SD would be better for the road.
I also found it very tall for my short legs and there again being the R the angle of rake is set this way.
Quality parts are fit as standard like Brembo,Marcanese and WP to name a few but this is reflected in the price.
Overall i loved the bike and also modded alot,it never let me down and for the taller rider you could do alot worse.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've wanted the smt for a long time , just a little out of my price range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have owned a 990 SMR & a 990 SMT great bikes, the SMT has more grunt than the MT & is faster every where, the SMT handles better comparing standard bike against standard bike, the 990 is a not light on fuel the 09 beats it hands down & the MT is lighter, the SMT is very comfortable for long rides, the STD screen on the SMT is poor it drove me around the bend with wind noise, I compiled a mod book on all my mods done to this model here : KTM 990 SMT Forum - Join the conversation

Some Dyno runs shoot outs both bikes run on the same Dyno at different dates, the MT has a custom PCV map with a DNA air filter + snorkel cut out STD exhaust, the SMT was modified with many performance mods which are cheap to do refer mod book.

MT09 RED V modified SMT in Blue = HP/RPM

MT09 RED V modified SMT Blue = Torque. The 990 motor has hard hitting torque with a quick reving motor

Whoa! And I was thinking the specs for the two bikes looked comparable. I don’t have any complaints with the FZ power output, but man...that KTM is a torque monster. I’ll have to go through that list of mods. What a rad comparison. Doesn’t get more specific than that!

The FZ is the only non-twin that I’ve ever owned, so I’m a fan of the engine braking. Did either of you guys have any mechanical problems? The only thing I’ve been reading is a problem with water pooling inside the swingarm causing the chain adjustment bolts to strip the swingarm threads.

I know we’re talking about two different beasts (and you guys obviously own the MT’s now), but which bike did you prefer?

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you want to feel torque you need to ride the 1290 it has heaps more then the 990.

The 990's motor is very strong & can handle long term flogging any day, the SMT suspension is plush but handles really well, you can push it over the B road faster than any road bike I know of the bumpier it is the better.

I played a lot with this motor & got rid of 90% of the engine braking with mods, the one thing I love is all the re-flashing tools are almost free for the 990, all you need is a cable off EBay for $50.00 & the software is for free I offer many maps for the different mods in the map section of the SMT forum KTM 990 SMT Forum - Join the conversation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts