·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lost in space....:crushed:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
While your wallet determines your budget, your heart ultimately determines what you buy... I'm in for a RC390

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While your wallet determines your budget, your heart ultimately determines what you buy... I'm in for a RC390
I think you've got very good taste. :eek:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
not sure what you'd gain by getting either of these bikes. Both less power than the FZ - similar riding position - maybe the Ninja 650 would be better on the highway but i'd be bored by the lack of power...

Maybe provide some context on what you're looking for in a second bike may help in guiding your decision and others recommendations. I personally think either is too similar and less desirable than the FZ (assuming you're keeping your 09)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KTM reliability and parts availability combined with "Made in India" build quality...what could possibly go wrong? :p
I believe you will look back at this post in a year and question why you wrote it :cool:

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Everyone has a prejudice about "Made in India" or "Made in China" but considering a lot of top brands make their "quality" stuff in China and India, that prejudice is just that. Quality control comes from the brands and KTM has done the same. After my brief ownership of the Duke 200 in India, I had written a short review. I have gone through all the points of "complaint" people had or anticipated and dispelled them.
It was because of that bike that I actually like the FZ even more- it feels like a bigger Duke but there are some things the Duke still did better. The 390 is in the same league- more power, almost similar weight and all the same features- it can only be better. The RC390 will take it to another level! Funnily, Kawasaki models were sold in the same showrooms- and as much as the Ninja 650 was attractive, the Duke tugged at the heart strings much more.
Just one example of what you get with the Duke:

-A more comprehensive digital console, even better than the 690 Duke and our very own FZ.

I love the FZ for everything. However, I do wish I am able to get one of these back in my "garage" but having no real garage will surely make it a challenge! Plus, nearest KTM dealer is about 30 miles away- the main problem with KTM in the states.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My closest KTM Dealer is about 50 miles away. I'll deal with it. Aren't these bikes similar to new LED TV's in that they work or they don't, lol. It's not Brain Surgery..... Anything relatively minor I can handle, and plenty of other dealers would be happy to work on it if I needed anything done.

I understand All the New Honda's are manufactured in Thailand -- has anyone complained about a lack of quality control..?? VW's have been made in Mexico, but that's another story......

It's not Where, it's how :cool:

Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
957 Posts
My closest KTM Dealer is about 50 miles away. I'll deal with it. Aren't these bikes similar to new LED TV's in that they work or they don't, lol. It's not Brain Surgery..... Anything relatively minor I can handle, and plenty of other dealers would be happy to work on it if I needed anything done.

I understand All the New Honda's are manufactured in Thailand -- has anyone complained about a lack of quality control..?? VW's have been made in Mexico, but that's another story......

My local Yamaha dealer where I bought the FZ is also a KTM dealer. However, they only deal in the brand's dirt models. Apparently dealers have to go through a lot of red tape to carry the street models in addition to the dirt models because they're separate branches within the brand, or something like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't speak for the 390 but the 690 would be something to consider. I have an FZ09 and recently 4 (weeks ago) purchased a 1290 Super Duke R. I rode the 690 and it was fun but not as fun as the FZ and not what I was looking for. The FZ is great in town. It is super quick, light and easy to ride. I was going to sell it after I bought the 1290 but i have decided otherwise. The wife can ride it and I can ride it when I don't want to pay attention to riding. While the 1290 has a throttle and riding modes, it is still quite a brutal bike and requires a lot more attention when riding compared to the FZ. In fact, while I fancy myself a reasonably capable rider, the 1290 can and does scare the hell out of me from time to time. Even with traction control on, the bike is brutal. The real eye opener was the insurance. The FZ is cheap, the 1290 is NOT. Seems that the insurance companies know what this bike is.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't speak for the 390 but the 690 would be something to consider. I have an FZ09 and recently 4 (weeks ago) purchased a 1290 Super Duke R. I rode the 690 and it was fun but not as fun as the FZ and not what I was looking for. The FZ is great in town. It is super quick, light and easy to ride. I was going to sell it after I bought the 1290 but i have decided otherwise. The wife can ride it and I can ride it when I don't want to pay attention to riding. While the 1290 has a throttle and riding modes, it is still quite a brutal bike and requires a lot more attention when riding compared to the FZ. In fact, while I fancy myself a reasonably capable rider, the 1290 can and does scare the hell out of me from time to time. Even with traction control on, the bike is brutal. The real eye opener was the insurance. The FZ is cheap, the 1290 is NOT. Seems that the insurance companies know what this bike is.
+ 10000000000. Great Post.

The Insurance Companies must Salivate when they see the numbers 1,2,9,0 strung together. Sucks.

I assume they won't get too excited when they see a 3,9,and a zero....:cool:

Reactions: CB024

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts

A very quick way to tell, and I haven't heard that by the way, is to look at the VIN number. If it starts out with a "J" it's made in Japan......just like our FZ09's.

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 20 of 49 Posts