Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,355 Posts
Three years out. Thanks for the heads up KTM.

I liked one of the articles in the sidebar of the KTM announcement, entitled:
​"Detroit Man Accused Of Stealing Ambulance To Party At Strip Club" Only in Motor City. :)))

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
​"Detroit Man Accused Of Stealing Ambulance To Party At Strip Club" Only in Motor City. :)))
haha i saw that too - best way to have a good time with limited recovery - GET ME AN IV AND A STRIPPER!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Three years from now the "new" motorcycle won't be a v-twin no matter how good it is. It will be small displacement supercharged ...350 pound... vertical twins and triples.

V-Twins are just too heavy and positioned too far away from the front wheel.....and there is no engineering that will solve it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Three years from now the "new" motorcycle won't be a v-twin no matter how good it is. It will be small displacement supercharged ...350 pound... vertical twins and triples.

V-Twins are just too heavy and positioned too far away from the front wheel.....and there is no engineering that will solve it.
aren't vtwins vertically mounted now unless otherwise specified (like the 07 is parallel mounted)?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
?Hell Yes KTM Is Planning New Mid-Size V-Twins

An unreliable alternative to the FZ perhaps?
That is why I bought my 09, I wanted something larger than a 750, but didn't want another 1000, the FZ-09 seemed to be the only good/new/inline triple/850 at a great price. Plus I wanted something that runs smoother than a V-Twin. I hate to say it but my DR550SE runs smoother than some of the V-Twins out there, lol.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is why I bought my 09, I wanted something larger than a 750, but didn't want another 1000, the FZ-09 seemed to be the only good/new/inline triple/850 at a great price. Plus I wanted something that runs smoother than a V-Twin. I hate to say it but my DR550SE runs smoother than some of the V-Twins out there, lol.
feel the same way - but then i hear videos like this one and i think - maybe one day when i have some more cash i can make room for a vtwin addition again :)

Good God The Ducati Scrambler Sounds Amazing

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The V-Twins do have a distinctive sound that's for sure. Heck I even like the sound of my Can-AM Spyder RS with the Hindle exhaust. But even with 3-wheels, after a long days ride you lost the feeling in your hands from the vibration. Plus I noticed that at just the wrong rpm it could be really bad. Even worst are some of the big bore V-Twin cruisers. My brother had a Victory Hammer, V-Twin, 106 cu inch (1737cc). That thing was like riding a paint shaker if you hit the wrong rpm on the highway.

Will be interesting to hear the new Scrambler when it comes out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
aren't vtwins vertically mounted now unless otherwise specified (like the 07 is parallel mounted)?
How it's mounted has nothing to do with it. The V-Twin and Parallel twin refer to the engine architecture. sp?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
An FZ07 is unlike any twin you ever rode. It's smooth as silk.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
385 Posts
I still want that 1290 SuperDuke R though! But at 17K and reading all the problems owners are having (leaking oil, coolant, fork seals and rear wheel hub issues) I could never do it. That and Aprilia announced the 1100 tuono......

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
An FZ07 is unlike any twin you ever rode. It's smooth as silk.
I was wondering how the 07's inline twin worked, it's good to know they figured out how to make it run nice and smooth.

As for the KTM's, everything I have heard is when they work good, they work great. But when they don't work so good, people wish they never bought them in the first place.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I was wondering how the 07's inline twin worked, it's good to know they figured out how to make it run nice and smooth.

As for the KTM's, everything I have heard is when they work good, they work great. But when they don't work so good, people wish they never bought them in the first place.
It's got to make you think twice about buying anything other than a Jap bike -- they can't be beat for reliability. I'm still "contemplating" the new RC390 verses the new R3 to join my (lonely) FZ in the garage.

That's why they say, "Once you go Jap you never go Back.":cool:

Reactions: FZjohn

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The best thing is to go for a demo ride and see which bike you like better. But even if I did ride and like a KTM, I am not sure I could swallow the price for the bike, the price of parts and the price for maintenance. You can hate me if you like, but none of the European bikes can come close to the reliability of the Japanese bikes. They might be easier to swallow in Europe and other places in the world, but in North America, it's not always the case.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I watch a YouTube comparison of the new A2 license bikes (Aussie) and they like the Honda over the KTM RC390, even though the KTM was faster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts