Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really liking this bike lately and thinking about getting one as my 2nd to the fz. A quick short blast fun bike that my wife can ride. Anyone else on here ever own one? Any big issues with it or ktm in general? Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In reviews they say the vibration isn't bad, but comments from folks who actually own the bike say it can be pretty punishing.. That's the main factor (along with sparse dealer network) that might steer me away from it, otherwise it looks like an amazingly fun bike.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
i had a 640 ktm SM paint shaker. Absolutely brilliant around town bike, and really fun on any tight twisty, bumpy backroads. It vibrated so bad that it made it look like LED lights on cars (brake/running lights) were bouncing around. They weren't, it was my eyeballs bouncing around. The bike was so good i didn't care, i put 25,000ks on it in 18 months. The seat was a plank, but again, i didn't care, it was that good. Easy enough to upgrade the seat, anyway. I new a guy who road one to phillip island for the GP one year, about 1600ks in one day - I was on my gsxr711 streetfighter.
The 640 would do 180kph easily. Blindingly quick to 100ks, awesome around corners, too. I could scrape the pegs in city commuting.
The 640 was a dirt bike with a bigger front brake and 17 inch wheels. I haven't had a 690, but it was designed as a pure street bike. Motard look, but slightly less ground clearance. The 690 motor is supposed to be a lot smoother than the 640 it replaced. From memory of when i used to loiter on KTM forums, most of the bugs were ironed out by the time the 640 evolved to the 690. I believe it's also the second generation of 690 now as well. I say do it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's supposed to be a great bike and vibey-ness is all relative and depends on a person's experience.
I was looking at the 690 myself before the FZ came along- I wanted to do long touring duty two-up as well so the FZ won but for the urban streets and even single highway riding, the KTM isn't going to let you down at all- it's got a longer tank range than the FZ + full aftermarket luggage racks, so that helps tremendously. It is definitely better than the FZ in the city, no comparison. That single motor has nearly the same or more power than a Versys with gobs of torque. Realistically, at 70mph, I don't see too many vibes bothering someone, especially if they have been used to singles and twins most of their riding life. The Euro boards are full of people touring on it. The new 690 has been tamed from the crazy wild days of the previous 690- and having ridden the new generation of Dukes (the 200), I can tell you, it's complete value esp for the amount of fun you are going to have on it. It's lightweight, frugal with fuel, one of the comfiest OEM seats I have sat on, has a ergonomically right upright position and that KTM hooligan character in the motor. I would say go for it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I almost ended up with a 690 Duke instead of an FZ. What kept me away from it was the reported vibes, the very sparse dealer network, and the fact that the only dealer within 100 miles of me that had one in stock tried to make me jump through a bunch of hoops just to get an idea of OTD pricing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Picking up an 08 Duke on Friday to keep my FZ company in the garage. Nothing will replace my FZ - period. But the idea of a dirtbike with a 650cc motor just sounds too tempting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Passed on the Duke. Sucks to drive 3 hours each way to decide I didn't want it, but it made me feel that much better about my FZ. The Duke felt good but it felt more like a streetbike than a supermoto. It's hard to believe the FZ is more of a hooligan bike than the Duke by looking at them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dad owns one. A 2013. Too much vibration for me. But it does feel very light. It is fun for riding on for less than 15 minutes at a time. He tells me all time he wishes he had my FZ. He is looking into the 07.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Picking up an 08 Duke on Friday to keep my FZ company in the garage. Nothing will replace my FZ - period. But the idea of a dirtbike with a 650cc motor just sounds too tempting.
Then get an Xr650r like I did. :thumbsup:

Reactions: jdaugherty33

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vibrations depends on what you are used to.I met this guy on a SM690 on a ride- he was quite okay with it- it was his 2nd bike in his life, and he was out with us on the highways, keeping up!I have ridden thumpers most of my life and the new ones barely vibrate that much- esp with all the anti vibe damping provided-be it grips, peg, engine mounts etc in addition to smoother fuel injected mills. I can see why people, when they get back to thumpers, after riding I4s or a smooth I3 like the FZ09 will feel the vibes more- met a guy who rode thousands of miles on his 690Duke (the previous one) and barely felt the vibes till he got himself a Tiger and rode that extensively. After the Tiger, the engine on the Duke flt vibey and the wind started to bother him for the first time! The Duke is up there on my list to get one day though. For now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts