Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

2015 FZ-09 with around 200 miles FYI

I have just recently heard and even felt sort of a knocking sound/feeling on the left side of the motor. I noticed this when I was rolling in first with the clutch in and just revved it up. I then heard and felt a little knock and then while continuing to hold the clutch and decel the rpms immediately, I heard and felt another knock.

I know there are some cam chain tensioners that have been an issue but not sure if this is a sign.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so that would be out of the question then. I wonder what this could be...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Since the bike is brand new, take it to the dealer and let their service guy hear it and confirm it is or is not something to be concerned about.

Then

Ride more, worry less.

:)

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the bike is brand new, take it to the dealer and let their service guy hear it and confirm it is or is not something to be concerned about.

Then

Ride more, worry less.

:)
Think I can take it to a near-by dealer or the one I got it from? I had to go a little further to buy this bike because the closer ones didn't have it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My first thought is check and see if the chain is to tight?

Mine was set to the owners manual spec's when I first picked it up. Being a new bike and new chain, with such low mileage, it might be excessive chain and sprocket noise????

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first thought is check and see if the chain is to tight?

Mine was set to the owners manual spec's when I first picked it up. Being a new bike and new chain, with such low mileage, it might be excessive chain and sprocket noise????
I guess that could be a possibility... I thought the chain tension was okay but I will double check that tonight.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You do get a a bit of chain noise on decel or coasting with the clutch pulled, and a new stiff chain is a little loader. Hopefully it is a simple fix like adjusting the chain. I know my DR650SE chain is quite noisy with it's added slack on decel and while coasting.

The owners manual says the chain slack should be set to 0.20"-0.59" (5.0-15.0 mm), which is about half as much as it should be.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't most people finding that 0.75" (19mm) works a lot better.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/477-how-tight-chain.html

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well see it is as soon as I hit the throttle with clutch held in or as soon as I totally let go of the throttle with clutch held in... I think I've heard it without holding the clutch in as well. Just sudden throttle on or off's I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Similar but little knocking sound here,bike have 7000 miles from December 2013, With the clucht in some times is dragging the gear box or engine crankshaft balancer make that sound, in neutral rear tire up stay running with more drag Thant my 919, is like the clucht never disengage completely the gear box! So far everything else is fantastic !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts