Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have a knock from the front wheel area at low speed? I hear it when I go over a bump (potholes!) there is a knock / clank from the front. It’s almost like the brake lines tapping on the mudguard or maybe the mudguard hits the fork.

I’ve parked up and checked but everything’s routed correctly and tight. Tricky as it only makes the noise when I’m riding around slow speeds.

any ideas?

Istiban

·
Registered
652 Posts
Check to see if your fork is loose in the steering head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have a knock from the front wheel area at low speed? I hear it when I go over a bump (potholes!) there is a knock / clank from the front. It’s almost like the brake lines tapping on the mudguard or maybe the mudguard hits the fork.

I’ve parked up and checked but everything’s routed correctly and tight. Tricky as it only makes the noise when I’m riding around slow speeds.

any ideas?

Istiban
Mine made this noise occasionally too. I removed the front fender to fit a fender extender and after re-fitting, I haven't heard the same noise so psycho reefer's advice seems right. Also check the clips holding the brake lines since I removed them and refitted them in the process. I also removed the orange reflectors and mountings while doing this.

Mine also has a lot of drive chain noise. It went away briefly after lubing the rollers and sprocket teeth with 85W-140 GL5 gear oil, but came back after all that had flown off. I had already checked chain alignment with a laser, so now I'm sure it's just a very noisy chain/sprocket combo. I'll be pleased to replace that in due course with non-Yamaha parts.

The cam chain is also noisy by design - lower emissions meants less valve overlap, and that meant steeper cam profiles, and that meant a stronger wider chain with an oil-pressure driven tightener.

It's a mechanically noisy bike imo, not as bad as a dry-clutch Ducati, but still nothing like as sweet as Yamaha's marketing wants us to believe.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for the info. still not sure what it is but annoyingly it's in my head now! it's slow speed over small or large bumps, I don't here it whilst riding, I can't recreate it stationary, mudguard it tight as are all the clips etc..driving me mad now. I don't think it's fork internals it's not that sort of noise it does sound like somebody tapping the front mudguard with a screwdriver ... but everything is tight.

Ist.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's a mechanically noisy bike imo, not as bad as a dry-clutch Ducati, but still nothing like as sweet as Yamaha's marketing wants us to believe.
The fact that the final drive chain is the most stand out noise is proof of how mechanically quiet the bike is. Same with the FZ 07 's. Guys were always complaining how noisy the chains are. The chains aren't noisy, you're just not accustomed to hearing them so easily.

My bike is so damn quiet I can hear the SSSssss of the pads against the rotors change sound when I change pressure on the lever.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,605 Posts
The fact that the final drive chain is the most stand out noise is proof of how mechanically quiet the bike is. Same with the FZ 07 's. Guys were always complaints how noisy they chains are. The chains aren't noisy, you're just not accustomed to hearing them so easily.

My bike is so damn quiet I can hear the SSSssss of the pads against the rotors change sound when I change pressure on the lever.
YOu need an aftermarket exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts