Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, simple and maybe stupid questions but I tend to worry!

I was wondering if anyone has had their kickstand sink into asphalt on hot sunny days? My old motorcycle (Ninja 500) had a much smaller surface area on the kickstand and feels like it puts more weight on the kickstand than the FZ09 and I had that bike sink in all the time. I wonder because with warmer weather coming here in Michigan and my works parking lot being asphalt, I worry I will walk out and find it tipped over because it sank in to far.

Just hoping I hear this isn't a problem I should worry about? I do have a kickstand plate I keep in the trunk for those hot sunny days, and dirt/grass parking so I can be worry free.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Smash a pop can flat and put under kickstand. Problem solved.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use those yamaha round blue discs on hot asphalt. Peace of mind. I've made several indents into my driveway without using them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You need a kickstand pad, Google it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Fresh pavement in the parking lot at work, so I picked up one of these. Then I don't have to worry about digging out the separate plate to slip under the kickstand when I park. Plus if it cool in the morning and the pavement heats up and gets soft, no worries there either. I did have it sink in a bit on the new pavement at work, so it's good insurance to prevent a sinking kickstand 09 nose dive...ouch!

SW-Motech Sidestand Foot Enlarger for Yamaha FZ-09 '13-'14 - TwistedThrottle.com

Then you don't have to worry about anywhere you part the 09.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I guess nobody read my thread all the way, I have one but was wondering if anyone has had a problem and I'm thinking 80+ degrees and sunny is when I will use it on asphalt because until then I wouldn't think it would get hot enough? Or just do it on warm sunny days for a peace of mind?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had their kickstand sink into asphalt on hot sunny days? Yes.

Just hoping I hear this isn't a problem I should worry about? Use the pad for piece of mind on hot asphalt.

Asphalt is different, some more soft than others.

Reactions: JDub0813

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Even if it's old asphalt, if it's crappy asphalt you can have a sinking kickstand tip over. I have seen it happen to many times and it would suck big time to scratch up your new ride because of crappy parking conditions.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Tree Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
962 Posts
I keep a pad in my tailsection mainly for gravel parking lots.

View attachment 16512
That's scary because it's the same $5 ebay foot I have (squiggly grooves on the bottom). I love the looks of the TwistedThrottle one, but for the same price I got this one and a pair of MX boots for my daughter. I've thought about trimming it to clear the chain and glueing it to the bottom of the foot. Before spending $60 I'll take the kickstand to a welder and pay $15 (or less) for them to weld a plate to the bottom.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I keep a pad in my tailsection mainly for gravel parking lots.

View attachment 16512
That is the exact one I have except it says bad ass on it lmao and I keep it in the little tail trunk as well. Thanks all I guess it is a pretty big concern and I should use it on questionable days for peace of mind

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Those work great for parking in grass/dirt also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey all, simple and maybe stupid questions but I tend to worry!

I was wondering if anyone has had their kickstand sink into asphalt on hot sunny days? My old motorcycle (Ninja 500) had a much smaller surface area on the kickstand and feels like it puts more weight on the kickstand than the FZ09 and I had that bike sink in all the time. I wonder because with warmer weather coming here in Michigan and my works parking lot being asphalt, I worry I will walk out and find it tipped over because it sank in to far.

Just hoping I hear this isn't a problem I should worry about? I do have a kickstand plate I keep in the trunk for those hot sunny days, and dirt/grass parking so I can be worry free.
Just use the kickstand plate you have. I only experienced that kind of stuff in SC when I lived there. So far I haven't seen similar results in Eastern Washington, though I'm sure it could happen.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The shop I worked at years ago had cheap asphalt there was always half dozen slugs where we parked our bike's so the kickstand wouldn't sink in.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you have dedicated parking at work, just leave something in your spot. I used to leave a triangle stand in my spot at work so I could prop my 450 up.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Just hoping I hear this isn't a problem I should worry about?
Yes and no. Worry about...no. But to be aware that this happens and you need to use something under the stand...yes.

The parking lots where i work have dedicated motorcycle parking areas...and there are small concrete patches just for this situation. But I always carry a cap lid under the seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts