Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this?
I ride everyday in all weather, and I'm wondering if all the rain or dirt might be causing this.

Every time I put the key in the ignition to unlock the handlebars and turn the ignition on, the key takes 5-6 seconds of "jiggling" to get it to turn. Feels very clunky and stiff.

So far I've tried graphite on the key to see if that helps, but it didn't really. I'm not sure any lubes are good for ignition switches since they might accumulate more dirt.

Perhaps a dry lube?

Anyway, just wondered if others find the ignition key annoying and sticky.

Have a great week.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm thinking you may be on to something. I've used silicone on other bikes. WD-40 may help also. Just a little shot to start, see if it helps. I would stay light to keep from collecting more dirt.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
756 Posts
I'd use liquid graphite over wd40. Sprays in wet but dry so doesnt collect more junk. It's my go to for locks and hinges. Garage door tracks. Guns..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellers... do your ignitions stick a bit too? I also have a spare key I’ve been meaning to try. Could also run it under a brass wire wheel to soften the edges. Might help too.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
756 Posts
Thanks fellers... do your ignitions stick a bit too? I also have a spare key I’ve been meaning to try. Could also run it under a brass wire wheel to soften the edges. Might help too.
Mine has when left out or rained on and water/dirt builds up. I spray graphite in it and then put my key in to work it around before it drys and have had zero issues since. Use on my house doors and anywhere else I want a lubricant but no oil residue to pick up more dirt. I use wd40 to soak the underside of my truck if I'm going to play in the mud. Hands down best use for wd40 ever!!!!! Mud just falls off.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dude, I think I'll try a proper graphite spray then. I've just been using shavings on the key from a carpenter's pencil. Probably all my issue is, since it's an outdoor 100% of the time bike.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So update, I used this liquid graphite spray and cycled it through the ignition switch a good bit.
I'd say it made a difference. I'll probably give it another round soon.
Stuff is messy, so be careful. :LOL:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder if the temperature has anything to do now... Last night, my key did NOT want to come out of the ignition.
I really had to pull on it. (wondering if it was freezing in there or something.)

Same with this morning. Was about 29°F on my morning commute.

Very frustrating. Not sure if I should mess with it still using lubes and what not. Maybe I could bring the bike inside somewhere and let it get warm and see if the key slides in and out easier.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So that’s what it was... now I know our ignition switches freeze. Fun.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I've had it with this ignition switch.
Almost got me stranded this morning. I couldn't get the key in first, then it wouldn't want to unlock... then it was super stiff to turn after I heated the key up on the stove.

Anyone have any luck with those de-icer liquids for keys? I remember my father using that back when I was a child growing up in Maryland.

I'm considering relocated the switch somewhere more accessible and reliable.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
756 Posts
Could you wrap the ignition at night to protect it and then throw one of those gel pads you heat in the microwave on it before you try to put key in to warm it up?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could you wrap the ignition at night to protect it and then throw one of those gel pads you heat in the microwave on it before you try to put key in to warm it up?
This is what I'm thinking also. Getting some condom like thing to help keep the water/dew out of there and maybe a "hot-hands" pack or something to help.

Today I used the stove to heat up the key, since I can't find a lighter in my moving boxes. That might be my mobile work-around until I get this fixed. It's stressful thinking it might get me stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
756 Posts
Need a block heater like a diesel lol. Soooo glad I dont have your dilemma! As much as I hate sweating when I exit the shower I would be pissed trying to start my bike in your weather. You could do the 8 hour hand warmer and wrap it around the ignition before going to bed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need a block heater like a diesel lol. Soooo glad I dont have your dilemma! As much as I hate sweating when I exit the shower I would be pissed trying to start my bike in your weather. You could do the 8 hour hand warmer and wrap it around the ignition before going to bed.
:LOL: Next time I'm breaking out my paint drying gun... I'm done playing. Haha.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Maybe a Powder Graphite would work better with no moisture to freeze and place some duct tape over the lock when not in use !

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe a Powder Graphite would work better with no moisture to freeze and place some duct tape over the look when not in use !
I used graphite a few weeks ago, and it didn't seem to help in this case. I was a little worried maybe that helped gum it up. Definitely getting some sort of cover for the lock now. Spring can't get here soon enough.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw that but you used a spray and not powdered ....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063
Okay, will give it a go!
The spray was neat. went on the key wet, then flashed off pretty quick to dry.

The little flapper on the ignition that helps keep moisture out probably worked well when parked. I have a feeling that with all the rain riding I do with the key in has caused the switch to accumulate moisture through wicking down the edges.

Since the weather here has been freezing a lot, I bet it's trapped down there.

I might give the switch a good heating from a paint gun to drive it all out, then I'll re-apply some of this graphite powder you recommend.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walked over to the NAPA across the street, picked up one of these badboys.
Will see if it comes in handy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts