Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, The modifications officially began here today. There was some delay, caused by this...
IMG_4558.jpg

It's nice when they do work properly though.

IMG_4621.jpg

I think my jet is mad I've been spending so much time with my FZ. Anyway, lets get on track.

I installed my ZX6R shock today, thanks to many members on this forum going this route before me. I also, not too long ago, owned a 2005 ZX6R, I miss that bike and never should have sold her. Anyway...Best 30 bucks I've spent on the bike. A decent shock, with a gold body, to match the forks, and a red spring, to match the bike, for 30 bucks? Hard to pass up. I remember how my 636 felt - maybe it's just me missing her - but I remember that shock feel well. haha.

(by the way, I looked for a RR shock, but had no luck. Oh well).

IMG_4691.jpg

This thread is a really good resource to get you started: http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1216-fz-09-rear-shock-conversions.html

I also relocated my horn to under the left side "air scoop." Really easy, and costs pennies. Thanks to Nick/Stoltec Moto for this gem. I was talking to my buddy just three days ago about getting rid of that horn. Perfect.

IMG_4680.jpg

Here's the horn thread: http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/738-free-mod-horn-relocation.html

I only got a short test ride in tonight, but I am very happy with the rear end feel. If I remember correctly I'm at a half turn of compression and 2 turns of rebound but I'm not 100% on those numbers. Tomorrow I will be setting sag and making adjustments; I'll update once I've got a setting.

Now it's time for a couple of these...
IMG_4539.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very nice! Tampa eh? I think its time for some Bay Area guys to plan a ride North up by me in the Pasco area. Some awesome roads in the Dade City, St Leo, and Brooksville area. I know them by heart and wouldn't mind sharing my secret routes with some fellow members!

·
Registered
539 Posts
So you own that jet or are you an airliner pilot? If you own the jet, why didn't you just go with the Super Duke 1290? haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, No, I'm a crew chief, we're assigned aircraft, and we commonly refer to the planes as ours.
Your name can be painted on the side, to show a sense of ownership, to reflect the work you do.

Believe me, my dealer has a super duke in stock that I have to look at every time I'm in there. Damn cool bike, but I'm still stoked on the FZ.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update: I've been super busy lately which left me neglecting the FZ a lot. I've added Woodcraft frame sliders, and have graves block off plates ready to be installed.
I had the dealer refresh my ECU and like the slightly smoother throttle respose, but it did take some getting used to.
The plan right now is to add some new tires and get to the next track day - street riding has just not been doing it for me. I have much more fun on the track, so I may do something with the forks soon.
I'm also rebuilding my old YZ125 and waiting on my new Cometic gaskets so I can get that together. Needless to say, I've got a lot going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts