Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

The wifey has determined that she'll be getting a 250. Probably a good call based on her experience, comfort level and medical history. We're eyeing a 2010 Ninja 250R for $2400 with 10k miles. Anything to be wary of with these bikes? The price seems reasonable for what it is.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
just make sure it hasn't been abused. otherwise they run forever.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll see if I can get it to a mechanic before we decide on a purchase. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

·
Registered
350 Posts
These are wonderful bikes. Watch the oil level ( they don't hold much so it's important) and they are a bit under sprung but lots of fun. Don't let it sit without running it for a long time. Tiny little passages in the carbs and with old gas the carbs varnish up with inactivity. Put in some stabil and drain carbs if you let it sit in winter. If you run it a couple of times per week it will run a long time with no issues beyond oil changes and valve adjusts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not a thing. This things are raced hard as they can go around the full size tracks here.
Seriously just railed like Japanese bullet trains.
If it looks good, it is good.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Little bikes try harder lol. Was that an open track day? Where they don't divide the riders into groups?

Strange to see people parked and hanging out on the track entrance etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are divided by skill/speed level.
Grouped something like this:
1) fast, guys usually have a lot of track time.
2) a mix, track guys/fast street guys.
3) new to learning all the fun and games.

Doesn't matter what bike you have. My first pass ever was a brand new GSXR 1000. Let's just say he was cautious.
Regardless, it is more important to ride within your level no matter what that is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We picked up the 250R from the mechanic today. He cleaned out the carbs, lines and tank to get rid of all the gummed up fuel. Runs great! Can't wait to go on the first ride with the wifey. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If, after a while she feels she wants more, the 500 Ninja (second gen 1994+) is a good step up. Only weighs a few pounds more but makes a lot more power. With a 22 year production run, parts are very easy to find. (I have the last of the line... a 2009 plasma blue, that, while it can never compare to the FZ, provides tons of fun, great gas milage and reliability matching anything out there.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If, after a while she feels she wants more, the 500 Ninja (second gen 1994+) is a good step up. Only weighs a few pounds more but makes a lot more power. With a 22 year production run, parts are very easy to find. (I have the last of the line... a 2009 plasma blue, that, while it can never compare to the FZ, provides tons of fun, great gas milage and reliability matching anything out there.)
She really likes the looks of the 250R. I'm sure she'll be used to and ready for more power (sts) in about a year. I'll keep the 500 in mind. Thanks for the tip (sts)!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good bikes for sure they had a very long production run. I bought one new in 1989. My first street bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wifey asked me to fuel it up and test it out before she started riding it. Hard not to call it a slug next to the FZ (specs say 13.6 ft-lb, though I'm sure it's slightly less as it's five years old), but it will certainly serve her purposes as a starter bike.

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts