Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my FZ09 but getting the itch for a good 2 up bike so I can bring my wife along.

The guy I sold my Ninja 1000 to has a 2010 Concours and loves it. We rode together last summer and I could not believe how fast he went through the twisties. I had a hard time keeping up, especially on the long straits.

Would love to hear from anyone who has one.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It wasn't the bike that made him fast in the twisties.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rode a police package Concourse- track and patterns. Amazing lean angle, plenty of power and very agile in the slow tight stuff. Little bit slow to turn in, but I think that had more to do with the 1/2 worn rear 190 tire than anything. That bike carries it's weight a little higher than an ST1300, but is still very balanced. I would by one in a heartbeat, just leave spare change around for quality tires.

As a bonus for 2-up: traction control, electronic windscreen, large saddlebags, and the ability to turn the linked brakes to ALMOST off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had an '09 and did not dig it. That was the year before the heated grips and traction control, but just too big and heavy. If I wanted a bigger bike to ride two up I would look at something lighter....like an FJ 09 or 1300

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Loving my FZ09 but getting the itch for a good 2 up bike so I can bring my wife along.

The guy I sold my Ninja 1000 to has a 2010 Concours and loves it. We rode together last summer and I could not believe how fast he went through the twisties. I had a hard time keeping up, especially on the long straits.

You should go for the bike that speaks to you...the one you love looking at, thinking about, and riding. What anyone here thinks about that bike (unless they've owned one!) should have No bearing on what you think or feel about that bike or Any MC IMHO.:)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
all I'll say is a lot of new 2 up options coming to a dealer near you soon.

Suzuki new 1000cc, versys 1000 ect. Shop around. That's the fun part :)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Kind of off topic but how did you like the N1k compared to the FZ9?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hawker,
Before you spend some serious bucks on some big iron, you might want to try one from the FZ-09 family tree. I've had a FJR 1300 since 2004. Even after I bought the FZ last April I still put about 1,500 miles on the FJR because it is a lot of fun in it's own genre.It handles very well for a 650 lb bike (still lighter than the Kawa)and it has amazing torque. I've had it up to 135 mph and it was still pulling hard when I got out of it and I could still see clearly in the mirrors. I had a custom saddle made by Rick Myers that the significant other can sit on for 300 + miles. The worst mileage I've ever gotten per gallon was 40 and the best was almost 50mpg! I did put a pair of Hole Shot headers and cans on it and a Power Commander and numerous other goodies, but it is a great sport cruiser with a bullet proof motor. The ABS works fantastic and it has just enough fairing on it to keep the weather off and ride comfortably for miles. I thought about selling it when I bought the FZ, but the wife doesn't like the the aft cabin on it and I don't want to put a seat that would be comfortable for her on it. I like the looks of the stock seat lines so I don't want any upholstered couch behind me. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I've thought about the FJ1300.
Gotta get the lil bit of youthfulness out of my system that remains.
Sounds like the FJ1300 could suit my interests quite well.
Perhaps in a few years.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hawker,
Before you spend some serious bucks on some big iron, you might want to try one from the FZ-09 family tree. I've had a FJR 1300 since 2004. Even after I bought the FZ last April I still put about 1,500 miles on the FJR because it is a lot of fun in it's own genre.It handles very well for a 650 lb bike (still lighter than the Kawa)and it has amazing torque. I've had it up to 135 mph and it was still pulling hard when I got out of it and I could still see clearly in the mirrors. I had a custom saddle made by Rick Myers that the significant other can sit on for 300 + miles. The worst mileage I've ever gotten per gallon was 40 and the best was almost 50mpg! I did put a pair of Hole Shot headers and cans on it and a Power Commander and numerous other goodies, but it is a great sport cruiser with a bullet proof motor. The ABS works fantastic and it has just enough fairing on it to keep the weather off and ride comfortably for miles. I thought about selling it when I bought the FZ, but the wife doesn't like the the aft cabin on it and I don't want to put a seat that would be comfortable for her on it. I like the looks of the stock seat lines so I don't want any upholstered couch behind me. I'm just sayin.
Looked at and sat on the Connie and FJ yesterday. The Connie fit like a glove but the FJ felt weird with a seat that was too wide for my narrow arse.

Not ready to buy anything for a while. Just collecting info.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The big Kawi is super impressive. I've been lucky enough to get 3 rides on my buddy's 2011, and it feels a little more top heavy than my Busa but the factory bags and keyless start are really nice. My picky wife was happy with the pillion quarters as well. I'd say you're looking in the right direction.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I recommend riding the Kawi before deciding. I thought I really liked the bike...until I rode it. Once in motion, I found the riding position to be insufficient for me. That really cool electrically adjustable windscreen still caused buffeting for me, too. Oh, and I can't forget...the heat. Good Lord, that's a hot bike!

The power was great, but it was still geared too high for my liking. It's definitely setup for the older, ahem, 'gentlemen'. Or cruising your favorite slab at 145 mph. Your choice.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Haters are going to hate me, but if I was going to buy a long term 2-up touring ride. I would really consider a Can-Am Spyder RT, at least a 2014 which has the new 1330cc inline 3 cylinder engine. If you are looking for touring storage, the RT line comes with 41 gallons (155 L) of storage.

It also gives the opportunity for your partner to drive, while you tail along on the 09.

But you would have to take one for a test ride to see if it something you might like.

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Review

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^. Good advise. I highly doubt I'd like a Spider but if I wanted to ride two up it would be foolish not to give it a shot. The 2014's and 2015's have come a long way...and Ya never know how you'll feel on a machine until you try....two thumbs up to Rocky to have the balls to even suggest this "here."

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I had a 2009 Spyder RS SM5, and it was a blast to ride. Even on the RS version riding 2-up was a breeze, and it was great when the passenger didn't have any passenger riding experience.

The thing had a sweet spot and liked to cruise on the highway at 130 kmph (80 mph) all day long. It had the a 998cc V-Twin Rotax motor, the same motor that was used in Aprilia 1000 RSV Mille. Just tuned different for the three wheeled beats.

Since I was spending 99% of the time "not" riding 2-up anymore, it was time to go back to two wheels again, and my Rapid Red 09.

But if I was going to do a lot of 2-up &/or touring, I'd really consider getting another Spyder. They now have four versions, the RS - Sport, ST - Sport Touring, RT - Touring and F3 - Sport Cruising. The RT and F3 have the new 1330cc inline three cyclinder. The RS and RT have the 998cc V-Twin.

My old RS the day before I got my 09, red of course.
IMAG0136.jpg

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I recommend riding the Kawi before deciding. I thought I really liked the bike...until I rode it. Once in motion, I found the riding position to be insufficient for me. That really cool electrically adjustable windscreen still caused buffeting for me, too. Oh, and I can't forget...the heat. Good Lord, that's a hot bike!

The power was great, but it was still geared too high for my liking. It's definitely setup for the older, ahem, 'gentlemen'. Or cruising your favorite slab at 145 mph. Your choice.
Nick You must have ridden a pre 2010 model. That bike was indeed a hot tamale chi chi wawa mother with hot sauce.

They fixed the heat problem in 2010.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a 2009 Spyder RS SM5, and it was a blast to ride. Even on the RS version riding 2-up was a breeze, and it was great when the passenger didn't have any passenger riding experience.

The thing had a sweet spot and liked to cruise on the highway at 130 kmph (80 mph) all day long. It had the a 998cc V-Twin Rotax motor, the same motor that was used in Aprilia 1000 RSV Mille. Just tuned different for the three wheeled beats.

Since I was spending 99% of the time "not" riding 2-up anymore, it was time to go back to two wheels again, and my Rapid Red 09.

But if I was going to do a lot of 2-up &/or touring, I'd really consider getting another Spyder. They now have four versions, the RS - Sport, ST - Sport Touring, RT - Touring and F3 - Sport Cruising. The RT and F3 have the new 1330cc inline three cyclinder. The RS and RT have the 998cc V-Twin.

My old RS the day before I got my 09, red of course.
View attachment 12336
Not to step on any toes but i would buy a convertable car before i would get a trike.

I am sure they are fun but... Jus not my style.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
^^^ Me too, lol

But worth a look anyway.....ya never know

1 - 20 of 35 Posts