Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run K-Tech 20mm cartridges?

I was at my local suspension shop (Catalyst Reaction) and Jim recommends K-Tech. He also said they are coming out with a Shock for the FZ-09 in the near future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone run K-Tech 20mm cartridges?

I was at my local suspension shop (Catalyst Reaction) and Jim recommends K-Tech. He also said they are coming out with a Shock for the FZ-09 in the near future.
Did Jim expand on this at all. Why does he recommend them? What are the advantages? I have been trying to get some feedback on the K-Tech cartridges for some time but have been unable to find anyone with first hand experience with them on the FZ09.

·
Registered
153 Posts
While I can't comment on k-tech specifically, I am of the opinion that any cartridge upgrade will be very welcome on the FZ. I had the same challenge before installing my Andreani cartridges but I just reviewed some other forums to see what was the experience of other riders installing the product on their bikes. For me it was a toss up between the K-tech and the Andreani but I just found a great deal in the latter.

I don't think you will be disappointed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone, sorry for lack of responses. Looks like my forum settings didn't have me subscribed to the thread.

Jim didn't go into too many details of why he prefers K-Tech, but in his opinion he likes them over Ohlins (at least the stuff the public gets these days). From what I read about K-Tech being run on other bikes, people seem to love em and their comparable to the other high end stuff.

I ordered the cartridge kit and shock, which should be arriving in a few weeks. Also getting a FlashTune and Akra installed. Can't wait, the bike will be transformed!!

Will post an update and some pics after I get the bike back :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bike is done! Will hopefully pick it up in a few days and post an update. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up my bike from Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos, CA. I went with the K-Tech IDS 20mm Cartridge Kit with .95 springs and Razor R Shock.

I haven't had a chance to really test out the suspension yet. I had to split lanes through traffic pretty much the whole way to and from work after picking it up. Will be going on a full day ride from San Jose, CA to Coalinga, CA tomorrow which will be a great test! Will post an update after the ride.

Here are some pics:

Side Full.jpg Shock, Left.jpg Shock, Right2.jpg Adjuster, Left.jpg Adjuster, Right.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from a 315 mile ride :D The bike has been transformed!!

The suspension is definitely on the stiff side, you really feel the big bumps on the freeway. I don't mind the tradeoff for the increased performance, although some might not like their bikes this stiff.

In the twisties this thing is so much more fun to ride. I have total confidence in the suspension now. I need to put on my new tires (S20 EVO). The stock Dunlop (front) and Conti Motion (rear) are now overmatched (they came on the bike when I bought it used). I got a couple front end slides and the rear was wiggling around a bit under hard acceleration.

With stock suspension trail braking was almost impossible (it would just stand the bike up). Now trail braking is no problem. Mid-corner bumps and no longer a major worry. It still wants to wheelie a good amount, but not quite as much as before. Overall this suspension rocks and I had so much more fun riding the bike.

I also got a full Akrapovic system installed along with a Flashtune ECU. The Akra (without baffle) makes this thing sound like a beast. The Flashtune really helped with fueling, A Mode is now useable! Engine braking is much better (much less then stock).

Overall I am very happy with the K-Tech suspension :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the review. My K-Tech cartridges are supposed to deliver on the 9th. Curious what is your weight so I can compare spring selection to mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the review. My K-Tech cartridges are supposed to deliver on the 9th. Curious what is your weight so I can compare spring selection to mine.
I am about 185 lbs without gear. In retrospect, I would have preferred the .90 springs for street riding. The compression is all the way out, and it's still really stiff. I may swap them out at some point in the future, but we'll see how they break in.

·
Registered
870 Posts
> you really feel the big bumps on the freeway
> The compression is all the way out, and it's still really stiff

The first culprit is springs - 0.95 is too high for anything shy of good rider on track. At most 0.9 and I might suggest 0.875 for normal street duty.

Admittedly I'm going off pictures of the K-tech kit labeled for the FZ/FJ-09 but it sure looks like a 2-piston system. It wouldn't surprise me they made the same error as Andreani such that the Comp leg piston isn't oriented correctly so you're orifice restricted at even moderate shaft speeds. Hitting a 1 inch bump at 60mph is tantamount to 200 in/sec of shaft speed. That *requires* a healthy orifice especially if 100% of the displacement has to be handled by the piston.

Besides going in and flipping the piston over, one way to help is to run a really thin oil - 2.5W aka 12-14cSt

The Matris F15 is probably a better piece of kit (looks like a 4-piston setup) but here too if the damping is anything like what they did for the FZ07, the Comp is completely preposterous.

Otherwise, IMO there's only two 'factory' solutions that are (or better be!) bang on and that's Traxxion and GP suspension. IMO Ohlins is more like a starter kit, not bad out of the box but should be examined and probably tweaked by the installer.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Keef...........Don't cross over that line with the intended innuendo, this is a suspension thread!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Glad to hear K-Tech is making a quality set up.

I am really happy to see so many different suspension options and price points for the different suspension choices.

That is a huge win for everyone up and down the riding spectrum!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts