Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
FWIW, Check out Hi-Flo/Filtro filters. They are the same inside as a K&N, only without the stamped metal 17mm "nut" on the end of the canister and they are less expensive. I worked at a bike shop on my off days for 14 years and we never had an issue with either one.

·
Vendor
2,280 Posts
FWIW, Check out Hi-Flo/Filtro filters. They are the same inside as a K&N, only without the stamped metal 17mm "nut" on the end of the canister and they are less expensive. I worked at a bike shop on my off days for 14 years and we never had an issue with either one.
Do you know the HF # for the FZ-09?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Same as FZ6R...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Made me really happy when i realized that one. I had a new filter that i had purchased for my FZ6R and I thoght what the heck...and it fit perfectly. yay to not wasting money.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts

That's how I figure it out. They both park in my Man Cave! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Making me miss my 6R, its a fun bike without all the terror of the 09. I had to try very hard to wheelie it or hit the throttle too hard. I'm not complaining just reminiscing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
HiFloFiltro for me. works every time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Making me miss my 6R, its a fun bike without all the terror of the 09. I had to try very hard to wheelie it or hit the throttle too hard. I'm not complaining just reminiscing.
Same here, I traded my 6r for the fz9 but my fz6r will always be remember, great bike overall: Body position, engine power, forgiveness etc.
I have a bunch of K&N 204 from my 6r that will keep using on the 9ner.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I know that Citgo bottles up Yamalube for the US market (if not more), and I've heard that HiFloFiltro makes the Yamaha oil filters. HiFiltro also makes K&N filters (the nut on the end and the packaging/price are the differences). I guess with the nut you would need just a 17mm wrench for the oil plug and the filter - but I don't think that much convenience is worth $2 a pop. I'm going to cut open my used Yamaha filter and compare it to a HiFiltro...

·
Registered
962 Posts
the yamaha oil filter is made by denso.
Denso - with paper end caps and pleats running the other way? Eek! I need to cut my used one open and look at it. I paid $11 for a Yamaha filter to do my first oil change. I just bought 3 HiFlo HF204's delivered for $7.85 each (no tax) to do my next 3. I wish HiFlo's used a coil spring instead of their flat spring (I don't know why I wish that) - but other than that I like that the end pleats are connected by a crimped piece of metal (not glued), and they have metal endcaps.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Denso - with paper end caps and pleats running the other way? Eek! I need to cut my used one open and look at it. I paid $11 for a Yamaha filter to do my first oil change. I just bought 3 HiFlo HF204's delivered for $7.85 each (no tax) to do my next 3. I wish HiFlo's used a coil spring instead of their flat spring (I don't know why I wish that) - but other than that I like that the end pleats are connected by a crimped piece of metal (not glued), and they have metal endcaps.
not sure about the paper end caps, but the pleats look like what we're used to (iirc....i'll confirm later tonight). you might be thinking of an older denso design that yamaha used to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts