Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took off the tank of my 2015 MT09 to get a dent repaired. Bikes got 10k on clock and so I decided to change to original air filter with a K&M filter. I’ve had heaps of bikes over 30 yrs but wow what a difference in power and smoothness - was not expecting such a noticeable improvement. $90 well spent !!!!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Yeah ... Not happening. I also installed a K&N filter, using a gift certificate. I also cut down the snorkel and drilled a few extra holes into the front plate. Zero difference in performance. If you're located in the USA, you paid 2X what you can buy them for. Welcome to the forum with your 1st post..

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a very hard time believing changing the air filter made such a huge difference...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original filter didn’t look too bad - still amazed at the difference for such a change

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe if the previous filter was really dirty!
Or if the improvement is measured in db and increased SPL. But actual gains in torque or HP...ain't happening. Yamaha would have had to miss the mark by several miles for that to even start to happen. I've heard they aren't in the business of missing the mark.
But who knows? That "K&M" outfit may have figured out some tricks that even the much-hyped K&N have not.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
No dyno test has shown noticeable improvement. But, if it feels faster, that's all you need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi;
Riders that still have warranty could have problems if your running a k&n filter. They let massive amounts of grime and dirt into the engine compared to stock factory filters.
If they were safe, Yamaha would use them, so would other manufacturers.
Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!
valvestem

·
Registered
303 Posts
I clean my K&N filter every 10,000 miles, along with a K&N oil filter. Hoping that I never have to buy another air filter for the FZ. Always find sand, leaves and grime in filter. Also always have a little oil in airbox corners. I probably over filled oil or that's what I get from riding in 2 and 3 gear all the time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi;
Riders that still have warranty could have problems if your running a k&n filter. They let massive amounts of grime and dirt into the engine compared to stock factory filters.
Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!
valvestem
I hate to break it to you, but they can not void your warranty for using a different air filter, or oil filter, or oil...

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but they can not void your warranty for using a different air filter, or oil filter, or oil...
If the filter oil affects sensors etc they will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
K&N has been shown to be a scam both in their failing oil filters and their air filters. The air filters let too much fine grit into the engine, especially when you don't oil them up every 6 months. But let's talk about the required drying after the water bath you are supposed to be giving them. K&N says to use their detergent spray, then wash clean then air dry. And NO BLOW DRYING. That means, overnight at a minimum. What shops do this? None of them. They all blow it with compressed air, further damaging the poor quality filter. The hit dog always barks, so don't listen to anyone that defends them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I honestly prefer to just use an OEM filter. Sure you have to replace it every so often, but, with a K&N or many other aftermarket filters you have to clean and oil them and if done improperly they can let in a lot of fine dirt or if over oiled you suck said oil into the engine. The "improvement" in performance with a high-flow filter isn't really worth the hassle in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Guys it a freaking air filter, your not rebuilding engines. Just change it and ride

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi;
Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!
valvestem
I agree with this, Yamaha have achieved insane power out of that CP3 an I doubt a `thinner`filter will add power. The only thing I can think would help is cutting that snorkel a bit.. But the length most likely plays a roll in the ``induction``affect. They calculated everything and it`s made that way for a reason. The only thing I believe in is an ECU tune with full exhaust. Stock ecu and exhaust are blocking power for emission purposes and noise... Change those and you gain real racing power.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Well it's not insane, it's 135 bhp per litre which is a pretty mild tune in these days of litre bikes making 200.
What it has is a lovely flattish torque curve, which makes it feel more powerful than it is.

·
Registered
171 Posts
K&N has been shown to be a scam both in their failing oil filters and their air filters. The air filters let too much fine grit into the engine, especially when you don't oil them up every 6 months. But let's talk about the required drying after the water bath you are supposed to be giving them. K&N says to use their detergent spray, then wash clean then air dry. And NO BLOW DRYING. That means, overnight at a minimum. What shops do this? None of them. They all blow it with compressed air, further damaging the poor quality filter. The hit dog always barks, so don't listen to anyone that defends them.
I've used K&N on numerous vehicles for many years now both air filters and oil filters without any negative effects. You can't blame a company for defective equipment if the manufacturer recommendations are not followed as you mentioned with shops blow drying air filters quite possibly with too much pressure. Also the only K&N oil filter failure I've heard of is the filter being damaged at the nut which many people don't realize is there only to help with removal only. Too many folks don't understand oil filters are only to be installed hand tight. It's funny how a lot of people will bash companies for a bad product when it usually comes down to user error. As for the product being a scam, I'd say the some goes for almost every company making performance parts as they all like to exaggerate performance gains with their product installed. My 2018 only has 2,000km on it so I won't be changing the air filter anytime soon but when it's due I sure won't be paying $90 for an aftermarket filter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts