Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
David.........you are looking good out there. Peggy and I didn't make it to CMP this past weekend, but hope to one of these days. Your body position looks good overall, and you are looking through the turn in those pictures. See if you can get your upper body (head and shoulders) down even more, it will help you with your lean angle. It's obviously harder to do on a bike like the FZ as compared to a sport bike, but you don't have a belly in front of you like some of us do, so it should be a bit easier. Hope to meet you on the track one of these days. I had a FZ09.org member (yamahamer) at Tally late last month on his FZ. They are starting to show up at the track and that's awesome for sure. Hope you had a great time with STT...we love happy customers and seeing the smiles at the end of the day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David.........you are looking good out there. Peggy and I didn't make it to CMP this past weekend, but hope to one of these days. Your body position looks good overall, and you are looking through the turn in those pictures. See if you can get your upper body (head and shoulders) down even more, it will help you with your lean angle. It's obviously harder to do on a bike like the FZ as compared to a sport bike, but you don't have a belly in front of you like some of us do, so it should be a bit easier. Hope to meet you on the track one of these days. I had a FZ09.org member (yamahamer) at Tally late last month on his FZ. They are starting to show up at the track and that's awesome for sure. Hope you had a great time with STT...we love happy customers and seeing the smiles at the end of the day.
I am an extremely happy customer, Ive asked coaches a few times for help and they have all been more than willing to ride a session with me and help out. The head and shoulder position was actually what the instructor had me focus on the last few sessions. He also said I could bump up to the Intermediate group but I think Ill stick with Novice for at least one more. And Im sure Ill see you at one of these eventually!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice work! I see you pulled the feelers off. Did you find your toes dragging at all?

I've got to try the FZ out on the track for fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
David, do you remember the coach's name or names? That's awesome that they think you could bump to the "I" group. You are wise though to let your "experience" catch up to your skill level.....smart man!.

Reactions: Kilo

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nice work! I see you pulled the feelers off. Did you find your toes dragging at all?

I've got to try the FZ out on the track for fun.
If you have good foot position (and you don't have really big feet), your foot should NOT touch down even when leaned all the way over to max lean angle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coaches last name was McCormick if I remember correctly. I do have a question for you Vern, I have been dragging my toe slightly I actually had to buy new toe sliders after my day at NCBike. I was told to place the ball of my foot slightly to the outside of the peg so that it could act more like a pivot and not be locked in place. Is this something you do? I tried to keep my foot tucked in for this track day but it definitely made it more awkward to get my knee turned out. I am going to grind down the little lip on the outside edge of the peg when I get a chance and I think that may have been part of the problem. Also have you had any issues with the heel of your left foot contacting the swing arm? In the second to last picture you can see where I put some green painters tape, I did this because I left a few scratch marks from my heel contacting it. I put several layers of tape on there and wore through about 2 layers.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you have good foot position (and you don't have really big feet), your foot should NOT touch down even when leaned all the way over to max lean angle.
I have a wide foot. To avoid the side of my shoe from dragging, I had to put the balls of my toes (not foot) on the pegs. I for sure do not ride duck-foot. If I have my foot on the pegs at the balls of my feet, my foot extends past the peg.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I have a wide foot. To avoid the side of my shoe from dragging, I had to put the balls of my toes (not foot) on the pegs. I for sure do not ride duck-foot. If I have my foot on the pegs at the balls of my feet, my foot extends past the peg.

I'm working with the same situation. I have to ride ahead of the balls of my feet in order to keep my toes off the ground on this bike. If I get 'lazy', my toes and knee touch down at approximately the same time...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The coaches last name was McCormick if I remember correctly. I do have a question for you Vern, I have been dragging my toe slightly I actually had to buy new toe sliders after my day at NCBike. I was told to place the ball of my foot slightly to the outside of the peg so that it could act more like a pivot and not be locked in place. Is this something you do? I tried to keep my foot tucked in for this track day but it definitely made it more awkward to get my knee turned out. I am going to grind down the little lip on the outside edge of the peg when I get a chance and I think that may have been part of the problem. Also have you had any issues with the heel of your left foot contacting the swing arm? In the second to last picture you can see where I put some green painters tape, I did this because I left a few scratch marks from my heel contacting it. I put several layers of tape on there and wore through about 2 layers.
One of the things about this bike is that it is very narrow, and if you have a wide foot it's hard to get your whole boot width on the peg. Personally, I never put my foot on the peg to where the outside of the boot is hanging past the end of the peg. I also "plant" my heel against the swingarm and I'm on the ball of my foot. I'm not terribly concerned about having a "pivot point", as I adjust my foot position as I'm getting my body position for the start of turn in. Eventually, you will find what works well for you and allows you to feel comfortable on the bike.....I just don't ever want any part of my foot touching down while leaned over.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Your foot should be on the peg at the point where the bone that sticks out, by your big toe is at, and your heel should be against the side of the bike

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your foot should be on the peg at the point where the bone that sticks out, by your big toe is at, and your heel should be against the side of the bike
Thanks for the tip, do you use anything to protect your swingarm from your heel? I noticed one guy at the track had what looked like a carbon fiber piece that was molded to fit the swingarm right where his heel would hit. Im assuming its for that reason?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nah, I just don't worry about it. I shows a bit of character with it there.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
the stock pegs could be a bit grippier, they seem dull.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
the stock pegs could be a bit grippier, they seem dull.
I've not had any trouble in that regard, but that kind of thing varies by user. I remember putting Vortex brand rearsets on both my street and track 600RR and having to take the Dremel tool and a cylinder shaped grinding stone and "smooth" them down a bit. They were sharp enough to cut you if you weren't careful. I could see them going through the bottom of my boots in about one or two track days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts