Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 65 miles on my bike and coming from a yamaha 1300 cruiser its a big difference. It is so light to the touch compared to the cruiser clutch, shifter most notable. The seat uuugh when your riding its easy to for get how uncomfortable it is but this has to be priority 1 i am actually taking the bike today or tomorrow to a local guy and see what he can do and i will keep you posted. I think the lights are pretty good for a stock bike myself but i went to the local auto zone to get led turn signal bulbs the connection ends were correct but the bulb its self was just a little to big i might of been able to dremal just enough to make it fit but i would rather do a little search to see what i could find i know you can get the whole signal in led but i would just like the bulb so if anybody finds something let me know. Now with this style of bike and no large wind screen i have to change my helmet full face is probably the best bet for this bike shoei rf1100 is one i have heard good things about but it is all about fit so shopping i will go. Pricing has some factor to it my belief is if the helmet is dot it will or should have the same protection as a $1000.00 one but like i said it is about comfort cause if you are not you won't want to ride. Oh i noticed one more thing i have a size 8 shoe and with the pegs my feet are a little to big i don't know how you guys with larger feet make out. Well i think this post should give you fellow 09ers something to reply to for now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your feet feel too wide for the pegs.
YES exactly. It's not annoying yet it's just something that I noticed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
With your transition from a large cruiser bike, the peg size might be an issue. I have borrowed and tested cruisers, but never owned one, so my knowledge level is far from extensive. My riding boots are 10.5 size but, transitioning from a small motorcycle, I didn't perceive any issue with the FZ-09's pegs. Agree 100% with a quality full-face helmet for riding the FZ-09. Thanks for your notes and observations, Roger!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have about 65 miles on my bike and coming from a yamaha 1300 cruiser its a big difference. It is so light to the touch compared to the cruiser clutch, shifter most notable. The seat uuugh when your riding its easy to for get how uncomfortable it is but this has to be priority 1 i am actually taking the bike today or tomorrow to a local guy and see what he can do and i will keep you posted. I think the lights are pretty good for a stock bike myself but i went to the local auto zone to get led turn signal bulbs the connection ends were correct but the bulb its self was just a little to big i might of been able to dremal just enough to make it fit but i would rather do a little search to see what i could find i know you can get the whole signal in led but i would just like the bulb so if anybody finds something let me know. Now with this style of bike and no large wind screen i have to change my helmet full face is probably the best bet for this bike shoei rf1100 is one i have heard good things about but it is all about fit so shopping i will go. Pricing has some factor to it my belief is if the helmet is dot it will or should have the same protection as a $1000.00 one but like i said it is about comfort cause if you are not you won't want to ride. Oh i noticed one more thing i have a size 8 shoe and with the pegs my feet are a little to big i don't know how you guys with larger feet make out. Well i think this post should give you fellow 09ers something to reply to

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with the seat. Narrow and rock hard. It forces the load on your ars bones.
I went 120 miles yesterday with a couple of rests. I tried moving to the rear of the seat. It is better there but quite a stretch to the bars. I suppose the seat will be the first thing that I will replace.
Has any one found any options for the seat?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Roger;
I disagree with you that a D.O.T approved helmet would probably be as good as a $1000 one. Not true at all, as any helmet manufacturer can call any helmet they make "DOT approved", as the certification is on the "honor system", in other words, it is a "self compliant" system. Snell approved helmets must meet more rigorous standards, must be submitted to Snell, and cannot be sold unless approved by the Snell foundation. A manufacturer is allowed a second submission should the first one fail, and if the second one fails, that design must be destroyed.
There are other testing organizations worldwide, and there are thousands of fake D.O.T stickers which are put on useless helmets and sold in this country. That does not mean that a helmet that has only a D.O.T certification is inferior.

Personally, all of my helmets are D.O.T AND Snell approved, as I want the best protection I can get. Getting a Snell approved helmet assures that. Getting a D.O.T only approved helmet may not.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roger;
I disagree with you that a D.O.T approved helmet would probably be as good as a $1000 one. Not true at all, as any helmet manufacturer can call any helmet they make "DOT approved", as the certification is on the "honor system", in other words, it is a "self compliant" system. Snell approved helmets must meet more rigorous standards, must be submitted to Snell, and cannot be sold unless approved by the Snell foundation. A manufacturer is allowed a second submission should the first one fail, and if the second one fails, that design must be destroyed.
There are other testing organizations worldwide, and there are thousands of fake D.O.T stickers which are put on useless helmets and sold in this country. That does not mean that a helmet that has only a D.O.T certification is inferior.

Personally, all of my helmets are D.O.T AND Snell approved, as I want the best protection I can get. Getting a Snell approved helmet assures that. Getting a D.O.T only approved helmet may not.
I agree with you but if the department of transportation DOT says ok shoei give us your $200.00 helmet and your $1000.00 one we want to preform our test to make sure you are compliant and they both pass why spend the extra $800. Yes if you get a snell you will get a better quality for sure. Don't quote me on this but in Europe there standards are way better than ours I think the rating is ece but I can check unless someone else knows. Now going back to the $1000.00 helmet there are things that most likely drive up price maybe blue tooth, graphics, tinted shield you get the idea. Please understand with a dot helmet that is minimal protection at best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Sitting up closer to the tank will tilt the front of your foot further down and allow you to get under the shift lever easier. As a side benefit, it forward biases the weight of the bike for better front end loading/feel

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
In an article in Motorcyclist magazine back in 2005, it was stated that the SNELL standard at that time was not the best choice of helmets because the foam material inside was too rigid and actually caused more head trauma upon impact than the DOT did. The SNELL corporation vehemently denied the findings and claimed that their standards were the safest/best. Fast forward to the 2010 SNELL standard and it almost matched the DOT standard exactly. During that time period, I would NOT wear a Snell rated helmet...only one that was DOT rated with NO SNELL CERTIFICATION. You can go back and search for the article and read it if you like, then draw your own conclusions, but really, it's somewhat pointless since those helmets are no longer being made. Now, if you are wearing a helmet from that time period, first thing you should do is throw it in the trash and buy a new helmet that is at least SNELL 2010 rated or DOT rated

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm already on the front of the seat most of the time. I am using the TCX X-action boots.

My first and currently only set of moto-boots. Are those bulkier than normal?

TCX X-Action Waterproof Boots - RevZilla
Those don't look much different than the Icon Reign boots (size 12) that I am using. I have not noticed any issues using the shifter. Maybe, I sit closer to the tank like Vern mentioned and that changes the angle enough.

Icon Reign Waterproof Boots - RevZilla

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I ride with several different boots, Sidi Vertigo, Icon Field Armor 2, and Thor 50/50. I wear the Thors the most. I always ride with the peg in the ball of my foot not the arch. I have much more leverage to absorb the road with my legs as suspension, and I can use the pegs to assist my arms in direction changes by weighting the pegs.

As far as helmets go, Euro standards are the best. SNELL's tests are useless. I buy a new helmet every 3 to 4 years without exception.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Nice picture Doug.....she looks fast just sitting still. Thank goodness you posted a pic of her on the bike instead of you! :cool:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I hope my biga$$ feet aren't an issue, I wear an 11-12 depending on mfr.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts