Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I'll have to wait 4-5 months before I can ride it.:grumpy:

Was set to buy a FZ09, but it just didn't fit me. FZ07 felt perfect and will probably work better for where and how I ride.

A couple of questions......

1. Not a big windshield guy, but something needs to go between the headlight and gauges. It looks unfinished to me. Yamaha's shield IMO looks the best but doesn't even cover the back side of the gauges. What is the best looking shield?

2. What's the popular fender eliminator?

3. Any options for swingarm spools that don't require drilling the swingarm?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I couple good sites to check out for windshields and rear fender eliminators are: ( I have a R&G eliminator on my 09 and like how it looks )

FZ-07 '14-'15 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

Aftermarket Performance Upgrade, Parts & Accessories for Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

I have also seen swingarm spools listed, does the bike not come with spots to thread them in?????

Yamaha uses the smallest bolt of any of the swingarm spools, a 6mm x 1.0 metric bolt, everyone else uses 8mm or 10mm.

And if you want an owners manual to download, you can download them off the Yamamha UK site for the MT-07, which is close to the FZ-07. Just ignore all the stuff about ABS.

Owner Manuals Yamaha Motor UK

Hope some of this helps.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.

I have the Ermax 25cm windscreen and Yosh FE.
6mm swingarm spools off eBay.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Paul....I have the Givi screen on my FZ07 and it works great. You can cruise at 80mph in comfort. I use EVOTECH rear spool sliders that bolt on through the axle hole. Get the Akrapovic exhaust WITH the cat convertor and baffle. Works great...4 hp gain ...more midrange.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Congrats on the new FZ07. I know you said swing arm spools without drilling into the swing arm, but honestly, the one from Graves look pretty enticing to me. Graves has been around a very long time and they produce extremely high quality products that are researched and well thought out. I'm considering getting a set for the FZ07 in our house.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couple good sites to check out for windshields and rear fender eliminators are: ( I have a R&G eliminator on my 09 and like how it looks )

FZ-07 '14-'15 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

Aftermarket Performance Upgrade, Parts & Accessories for Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

I have also seen swingarm spools listed, does the bike not come with spots to thread them in?????

Yamaha uses the smallest bolt of any of the swingarm spools, a 6mm x 1.0 metric bolt, everyone else uses 8mm or 10mm.

And if you want an owners manual to download, you can download them off the Yamamha UK site for the MT-07, which is close to the FZ-07. Just ignore all the stuff about ABS.

Owner Manuals Yamaha Motor UK

Hope some of this helps.

Good stuff.............THANKS

The 07 doesn't have any bolt holes for spools. What about welding a couple nuts to the bottom?

Paul....I have the Givi screen on my FZ07 and it works great. You can cruise at 80mph in comfort. I use EVOTECH rear spool sliders that bolt on through the axle hole. Get the Akrapovic exhaust WITH the cat convertor and baffle. Works great...4 hp gain ...more midrange.

90% of the time those spools would work, but what do you do when you need to remove the wheel? I told myself I wasn't going to go crazy on mods (who am I kidding?)..............you have the link to the exhaust? Is a programmer needed.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Congratulations, fit is everything. I went to buy a bed one time and kept dropping back to a lesser expensive one, and the salesman looked at me and said: "just remember that will have to live with your decision every night of your life." I bought the bed that felt the best to me, two price points up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good stuff.............THANKS

The 07 doesn't have any bolt holes for spools. What about welding a couple nuts to the bottom?

90% of the time those spools would work, but what do you do when you need to remove the wheel? I told myself I wasn't going to go crazy on mods (who am I kidding?)..............you have the link to the exhaust? Is a programmer needed.
Very true those spools won't work if the wheel needs removed. I have a different rear stand with frame sliders wrapped in rubber that goes underneath the swingarm I use to remove the wheel....but it's a bit shakey. I bought the Evotech spool sliders for rear crash protection, chain adjust and wheel cleaning.

The Akrapovic TITANIUM full system exhaust is the only one that doesn't use or need a fuel programmer. I didn't believe the claims at first...but it runs right if you run it with the cat converter and the baffle like they recommend. Yamaha sells and approves this exhaust for the FZ07...so no warranty issues.

I read the Australian FZ07 has a smaller bore size. If that is true.....then the Akrapovic FZ07 might not be the same.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I really like how the fz07 looks more than the fz09, but I really feel like I would enjoy the power of the fz09 more.

Congrats on the new bike though, hope you get it sooner or can ride it sooner.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Did some research and found the Aussie MT07 is 655cc. The rest of the world gets the 689cc version. So....the standard FZ07 and MT07 Akrapovic exhaust wouldn't be the same. Hopefully AKRA will make a pipe for the Australian version.

Only the bore size and the CPU is different...so I would expect some Aussie owners will be fitting the 689 cylinder and pistons and CPU.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats!!

We were going to get one but with the new addition of the FZ-09 and the insurance changes we found out that it is best to wait. We didn't want to over stretch the budget.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Good deal, bloke. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
127 Posts
I rode a Fz07 today, and I absolutely loved it. I completely underestimated the amount of power it had (lower end) and it wheelies with EASE and it has a easier balance point. Much more nimble than the fz09. It's a very nice bike and honestly between the fz09 its a hard decision. Again, I love how the fz07 looks more than the fz09. Its a bike you can really throw around and make it your b*tch. A little less stable at high speeds, but I think with a stabilizer, that will fix that no problem. I think the fz07 COULD maybe be a better fit for me, it has the power where you need it for riding around town and such. I do wish it had some power in the higher RPM's but maybe I shouldn't haha.

Riding the Fz09 around, its nice to have the better power range with the triple but makes me want to go faster. Its like a friend on cocaine, begging you to do things you shouldn't do on street at least. It's a bike that would probably get me in more trouble. Obviously its not as nimble as the FZ07, but then its got better stability on the highway.

I think the FZ07 is a HIGHLY underrated bike. The torque was great.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Everything I have read and all the youtube reviews show a lot of people are surprised at how great the FZ-07 turned out. If I was thinking of buying a SV650S or an NC750SA, I would have bought an FZ-07 and never looked back. :cool:

And has anyone else noticed how a good windscreen or windshield, helps reduce the need for a steering stabilizer? I noticed after adding a MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield, my 09 calmed right down at highway speed. I know the windshield helps add a good amount of down force on the front wheel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I rode a Fz07 today, and I absolutely loved it. I completely underestimated the amount of power it had (lower end) and it wheelies with EASE and it has a easier balance point. Much more nimble than the fz09. It's a very nice bike and honestly between the fz09 its a hard decision. Again, I love how the fz07 looks more than the fz09. Its a bike you can really throw around and make it your b*tch. A little less stable at high speeds, but I think with a stabilizer, that will fix that no problem. I think the fz07 COULD maybe be a better fit for me, it has the power where you need it for riding around town and such. I do wish it had some power in the higher RPM's but maybe I shouldn't haha.

Riding the Fz09 around, its nice to have the better power range with the triple but makes me want to go faster. Its like a friend on cocaine, begging you to do things you shouldn't do on street at least. It's a bike that would probably get me in more trouble. Obviously its not as nimble as the FZ07, but then its got better stability on the highway.

I think the FZ07 is a HIGHLY underrated bike. The torque was great.
I moved on from my FZ09 recently after 5500 happy km's.
It was a great bike, wheelied like a bastard, and stupid quick everywhere.
The tank range put me off,
The steep seat,even after the free sponge mod.
I dumped $1500 into suspension to make it behave properly, not to mention a ecu flash.
The oportunity came up to sell it, so I jumped on it.

I saw the FJ09 in person on the weekend. Seat is better, fuel tank is bigger, abs, tc, and a decent fairing. But to me it looks a bit slapped together, and for what I need it would be overkill. I have a tenere for long trips, and I can drive it through a creek if I choose..so that and the FZ07 for short trips, work commuting, and the usual dicking around should do nicely

I had a short ride on the 7 and liked it right off the get go. Looks better put together, plenty of power (wheelies-check)
Fuelling is perfect right out the box, suspension will need work, I have a drop in cartridge kit on its way, and a full system pipe.

Bike should be here in a few weeks, I'm excited to say the least

1 - 20 of 20 Posts