Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I will grant you, the ‘21 manual has a weird way to measure your chain slack. I don’t know why they had to go and change a procedure that’s been used for decades.

Here’s the XSR manual (and I’m pretty sure the FZ/ MT manuals are identical):

View attachment 166941

So you can see they are calling for 5-15mm of slack in total, which is insane. That’s way too tight, because that’s measured with no load on the rear of the bike (shock topped out), and as the swingarm travels through the part where it’s in line with the countershaft (front sprocket), it’s going to be super tight.

I like my chain to have about 25-35mm of slack, so if I measure it the way the ‘21 manual shows, I would get this measurement:

View attachment 166942

85mm from the bottom of the swingarm.

So if I push the chain upward and measure, I get this:

View attachment 166943

50mm from the swingarm. This means my slack, or free play, is 35mm, which is about the max of my preferred range.

What this means is that if I wrote my chain slack measuring procedure the same way the 2021 manual does it, I would say “Push the chain downward and measure from the center point of the chain link to the bottom of the swingarm. This measurement should be 80-85mm

Do you see how that would be the same as saying 25-35mm of slack, and not 5mm?
The swingarm on the 21 is different so you can not use the new method on the old bike.On my 21' model at 40 mm downwards pushing ,between the pins and 32mm before the end part of the plastic guard, it gives 20mm up and down free play. Mine at 46mm makes a lot of rolling noise. Also measure at different parts of the chain as they differ a little and keep the measurement at the tightest spot .

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,928 Posts
The swingarm on the 21 is different so you can not use the new method on the old bike.
You could do it the same way (obviously with different numbers), but it would be harder to be consistently accurate, since the pre-21 bikes’ swingarms are not squared off, and there’s no definitive spot to place the tape measure.

So you’re saying the 21-spec is about 20mm of free play at maximum. That still sounds a little tight to me, but it’s better than 5-15... 😜

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
That's way to much math for me. I just stand up a tape measure on the floor next to the chain and make sure the slack is close to the "big lines"!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Also consider the rider weight on the bike when measuring.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,928 Posts
Also consider the rider weight on the bike when measuring.
The measurement is supposed to be taken with no load on the bike, i.e. kickstand or centerstand...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice score! 😎👍

I can’t believe how many people seem to be “lucking“ into SP’s. 🤪 Just a few months ago, we heard nonstop screaming from people who were waiting on SP’s they ordered, wondering where their bikes were. Now, it’s “I walked into the dealership and this one was available, so I just bought it on the spot!” 😄
Funny that. My dealer also only had one left & i had to wait 3 weeks for delivery. It was late & he blamed the French & when it was late again he said is was due to the container ship that blocked the Suez canal.

i don't understand it, you'd think they'd have warehouses in every country full of bikes waiting to go to the dealers & the Japs working overtime to keep up with production on popular models.

Eventually she turned up though
Toecutter.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts