Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am down in the west/central GA area and have been lurking the forums for a few weeks ever since I had put a deposit on this bike. Funny story is I drove 120mi to a dealer to look at a used 2020 Z900 and ended up putting a deposit on this amazing machine. I got lucky and someone had canceled their deposit just a few days earlier. Already looking into some SHAD bags for the rear and a De Pretto Motto windscreen for the front since I want to do a little touring as work allows.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Nice score! 😎👍

I can’t believe how many people seem to be “lucking“ into SP’s. 🤪 Just a few months ago, we heard nonstop screaming from people who were waiting on SP’s they ordered, wondering where their bikes were. Now, it’s “I walked into the dealership and this one was available, so I just bought it on the spot!” 😄

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Welcome to the best bike forum in the whole entire web world!
I have heard that the 21's are hard to find so it seems you got lucky.
Since the 21 is an entirely new bike we hope you will be sharing your experiences as you pile on the miles. Will you be doing your own maintenance, tire changing and mods? The earlier bikes came with some goofy tight oil filters and a blatant error in the owners manual concerning chain slack and it will be interesting to see if these things have been addressed. So far I haven't seen anything, probably because nobody has done enough miles yet.
Anyway, enjoy your visits, share your rides and post up photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice score! 😎👍

I can’t believe how many people seem to be “lucking“ into SP’s. 🤪 Just a few months ago, we heard nonstop screaming from people who were waiting on SP’s they ordered, wondering where their bikes were. Now, it’s “I walked into the dealership and this one was available, so I just bought it on the spot!” 😄
Yeah they told me I was the 3rd one to put a deposit on the bike. The guy previous to me didn't want to wait and went to TX to get one that was in stock. I only waited about 2 weeks. kinda reminds me of a slightly tamer version of my old Buell 1125CR lol. I love it so far!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
18 Posts
Congrats! Awesome bike!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the best bike forum in the whole entire web world!
I have heard that the 21's are hard to find so it seems you got lucky.
Since the 21 is an entirely new bike we hope you will be sharing your experiences as you pile on the miles. Will you be doing your own maintenance, tire changing and mods? The earlier bikes came with some goofy tight oil filters and a blatant error in the owners manual concerning chain slack and it will be interesting to see if these things have been addressed. So far I haven't seen anything, probably because nobody has done enough miles yet.
Anyway, enjoy your visits, share your rides and post up photos.
I will absolutely be sharing my experience. Not sure on all of the maintenance, major ones I plan on taking to the dealer. I will be installing most mods myself, for now it is just minor cosmetic stuff. This is one of the best sound stock exhausts that I have heard so that will be a bit down the road lol.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I suspect that by the time you get her broken in, and you’re more familiar with her, she’ll put that Buell to shame... 😉

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Can you tell me more about this?
The current 21' manual states 36-41mm if I'm not mistaken.
That’s more like it. The older ones say something ridiculous, like 15 or 20mm or something...

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Can you tell me more about this?
The current 21' manual states 36-41mm if I'm not mistaken.
We would be interested in seeing the page in the handbook that shows chain slack.
Could you possibly share that with us?

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
I read what the manual says again and it seems that it also has a tight slack.
It mentions 36-41mm distance from the chain guard,giving the chain only 5mm of play while at the side stand.That's really tight imo.
Other bikes I had ,mentioned 25-30mm of chain free movement.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Welcome! Sweet 21. Post more pics when you can. :cool:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I read what the manual says again and it seems that it also has a tight slack.
It mentions 36-41mm distance from the chain guard,giving the chain only 5mm of play while at the side stand.That's really tight imo.
Other bikes I had ,mentioned 25-30mm of chain free movement.
Okay, it says to push down on the center of the chain, and it should be no more than 41mm from the chain guard, right? So if you push the chain upward, how close does it get to the chain guard? The difference between the two would be the slack measurement. Are you saying that’s only 5mm?

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
Okay, it says to push down on the center of the chain, and it should be no more than 41mm from the chain guard, right? So if you push the chain upward, how close does it get to the chain guard? The difference between the two would be the slack measurement. Are you saying that’s only 5mm?
Yeah,thats what it says also on the pic above.
36-41mm distance from the chain guard.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Yeah,thats what it says also on the pic above.
36-41mm distance from the chain guard.
Right… so adjust it to 41mm from the chain guard when pushing down on it. Then push up toward the chain guard and measure the distance to the guard from the same spot on the chain. That will be your max free play. What’s the number?

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
Right… so adjust it to 41mm from the chain guard when pushing down on it. Then push up toward the chain guard and measure the distance to the guard from the same spot on the chain. That will be your max free play. What’s the number?
5 mm if my math are right :p

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
5 mm if my math are right :p
Your math isn’t right. Let me explain…

Let’s say your chain is as tight as a drum, and the measurement from the chain to the guard under the swingarm is 36 mm. So you loosen the chain to where you can push it down to the maximum spec number, which is 41 mm.

You would now have about 10 mm of free play up and down. Are you following me?

Now, I’m quite certain that when the chain is it the 36 mm mark, it is definitely not as tight as a drum. So what you need to do is literally measure how far you can move the chain up and down to understand the free play number.

If the measurement is at 36 mm, the chain will have X amount of free play. When you set it to 41 mm, it will have X +10 mm of free play. Solve for X!

Please tell me you get this…

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I will grant you, the ‘21 manual has a weird way to measure your chain slack. I don’t know why they had to go and change a procedure that’s been used for decades.

Here’s the XSR manual (and I’m pretty sure the FZ/ MT manuals are identical):

Font Paper Paper product Newsprint Parallel

So you can see they are calling for 5-15mm of slack in total, which is insane. That’s way too tight, because that’s measured with no load on the rear of the bike (shock topped out), and as the swingarm travels through the part where it’s in line with the countershaft (front sprocket), it’s going to be super tight.

I like my chain to have about 25-35mm of slack, so if I measure it the way the ‘21 manual shows, I would get this measurement:

Tool Measuring instrument Office ruler Font Bicycle part

85mm from the bottom of the swingarm.

So if I push the chain upward and measure, I get this:

Temperature Office ruler Ruler Tool Measuring instrument

50mm from the swingarm. This means my slack, or free play, is 35mm, which is about the max of my preferred range.

What this means is that if I wrote my chain slack measuring procedure the same way the 2021 manual does it, I would say “Push the chain downward and measure from the center point of the chain link to the bottom of the swingarm. This measurement should be 80-85mm

Do you see how that would be the same as saying 25-35mm of slack, and not 5mm?

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
You are right.
This is indeed a weird way to measure it and tbh I gave it a quick read the first time and thought that 36mm was the distance if you push the chain up and 41mm if you push it down,hence the 5mm of free play.
Now that you mentioned it ,I read it more carefully and indeed it says what you wrote on the post above.
Technically speaking,it's easier with the new method,but for so many years we measured the free play, so it looks weird to us now.And almost all manuals measure free play.
I'll grab a measuring tape to see how much free play there is with the specs given by the manual.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts