Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should I be worried? anything I should do? By the time I got some paper towels to wipe it off the gas had already evaporated...

is it going to eat into the paint??

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Get a clean cotton rag, mild soap and cool water and give The Tank a Loving Bath.

Gently pat dry :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
hmm, ok, well I can't clean it until I get home from work

edit, how about any internal components?
I'd leave work Now. You can't risk paint damage. Use your shirt if necessary -- use soap and water from the Men's Room and bathe it now. Then ride it home and dry it in the privacy of your garage. :cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A good soaking with the garden hose should help clean it up, don't go crazy with a pressure washer. If you can't wait till you get home, fill up a jug or water bottle and pour it over and down the tank where the gas spilled.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Gas wont hurt the paint but it may discolor the plastics.
Just clean it off when you get home and put a nice coat of wax on the tank to shine it back up...

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
511 Posts
I did that I just grabbed the window washer squeegee and started pouring the soapy water all over the tank and sides and wiped it down ha ha no biggie except being embarrassed while people watch this idiot squeegee his bike ha ha .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gas wont damage the tank or paint. I do it all the time (not overfill but spill it on it here and there) sometimes I don't even wipe it off. Neither of my bikes had any paint issues on the tank. Plastic is a different story however.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I spill gas on any of my bikes or my cars I throw a match on it because sometimes I just don't have a paper towel or rag handy......

Sometimes I wonder about these questions. Like it's someone just seeing what kind of answers they get to solve something that should be common sense.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think the OP is just looking for other's experiences... maybe a spill affects certain (plastic) parts of the bike. Wouldn't you want to know if you were unsure?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Soap other than that intended for washing vehicles will immediately strip any wax off your tank. Regardless of what type of soap you use, give the tank a couple of coats of was after washing to protect it from future accidents.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
should I be worried? anything I should do? By the time I got some paper towels to wipe it off the gas had already evaporated...

is it going to eat into the paint??
No worries mate. It will not cause global warming, climate change, or the sky is falling. However if you listen carefully as it spills you might just hear the climate change bird singing "Im coco for Cocoa Puffs, coco for Cocoa Puffs."

As a California resident I actually enjoy watching it pee all over the cement when I top off. As it does I usually chant: " Here's one for ya Al Gore."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Done it lots of times...and now I feel guilty for not even thinking twice about it, I just grab a paper towel wipe it off. I think its an age thing, I'm 47 and the shit I worry about now differs drastically from the shit I used to worry about.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've seen a bike burn to the ground because a small fuel spill. There wasn't much left for the fire department to hose down and they only had a two block drive to get there.

The "grab a squeegee and soak it down" is a good idea and one I have done as well. One to clean off the spilled gas, and Two so it doesn't get a chance to soak into my riding gear.

And don't worry, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I dont overfill but may spill a few drops here and there...never had any issues. I sure hope the FZ's parts are not that sensitive that a few drops of gas will destroy the paint. Had a plastic tank (cover) on my last KTM, had some gas fall on it...didn't see anything happen on that beautiful orange- thought some others had issues. I guess it depends on how much gas spills on it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
You will not damage the tank. The way they clear coat motorcycle parts now days is incredible. Just try and sand a tank and see how long it takes to get to the base coat...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts