Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer just called me up. Despite predicting a first delivery in October, my dealer got the first one in stock (I put the first deposit down back in June). Requested red, but as we know, the graphite shipped first. So, heading over there tomorrow to see if the blurple wheels look better in person. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good luck brother! If you do not take it, let us know as I am sure that someone on here would love to pick that bad boy up!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I'm taking it one way or another. I'm planning to use this bike for suspension development and other items (owner of Stoltec Moto - still trying to figure out the vendor deal around here...).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dealer just called me up. Despite predicting a first delivery in October, my dealer got the first one in stock (I put the first deposit down back in June). Requested red, but as we know, the graphite shipped first. So, heading over there tomorrow to see if the blurple wheels look better in person. Fingers crossed!

Sweet jesus you sir are only an hour from me only because they are strict on route 209 with the speed limit. So mine could be at the dealer shortly we will have to meet up for sure.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As soon as it isn't a trade secret let us know what you are developing.
There are a few plans...nothing 'trade secret'. But all in due time. However, been a Penske dealer for a while and plan to get the shock spec'd and figured out before long. Helps that they are only an hour from here.

Also, do quite a bit of custom fork work, so that will be a priority. Likely going to take more time to develop than a shock, however.

I hope they work harder on suspensions than they do on their website...
Ugh, don't remind me. I won't make excuses. In fact, I'm amazed it is as 'good' as it is. To be honest, word of mouth advertising provides MORE than enough work! Just about all of my sales are generated by forums and general internet banter. You can do some googling for our Super Tenere and Triumph work...

But yes, the web site is terrible. Hoping to get some time to address it now that the riding season is winding down.

Anyway, back on topic...dealer says bike should be uncrated and ready to go tomorrow AM!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sweet jesus you sir are only an hour from me only because they are strict on route 209 with the speed limit. So mine could be at the dealer shortly we will have to meet up for sure.
Indeed. Been through your neck of the woods many times. I usually do a few Adirondack and/or Catskills runs each year. But 209...yuck. I'd rather take some of the goat trails and roll through Sussex County NJ...209 in the Poconos is wicked!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sussex county NJ is very cool to ride thru.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's here!

Happy to report that I picked it up today. I have to say, the graphite looks better in person and the wheels aren't as awful as I originally thought. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can deal. Turns out the red ones are due later in October, and the one my dealer is getting is a demo..so it was this bike or waiting God knows how long...

On another note, I managed to get away for a short 65 mile ride this afternoon. I focused on some PA back roads...ranging from essentially smooth sweepers to barely legal tar and chip goat paths. My initial thoughts:

Seating position - very narrow tank and seat. Feels really good, even narrower than my Daytona 675. The seating position is mildly cramped for my 5'9" frame, but I never cramped up. It might just need some getting used to, but you can tell that they focused on bringing the bars back and higher. High enough that I can stand on the pegs and not have to reach down for the bars. All in all, not so bad. The ~1 hr ride didn't leave me sore in the knees or butt.

Power - DAMN impressive. For only 115 hp, the acceleration is impressive. Given the displacement, you'd kinda expect it to slot right in between Triumph's 675 and 1050...and it does. It revs with the speed of the 675, though makes significantly more torque. The top end is nice, though admittedly, I wasn't on the roads where I could wring it out. I spent most of my time riding in 2nd and 3rd gear - very flexible powerband. IMO, this engine should be a wake up call to Triumph. The transmission is very smooth and clutchless upshifts are very smooth. Downshift blips are very natural and quick. You can seamlessly downshift into first gear without any complaining from the trans. Wheelies are second nature in first, second, and sometimes third gears. Given the $8k sales price, you might expect a beginner friendly bike; this however, is a very serious machine. I can't say enough good about it at this time.

Power delivery - Everyone has been complaining about 'abrupt' throttle response and surging. I have none of this. I started off in the STD mode and found it to be very natural. The throttle response is urgent, but doesn't come with any surprises. After about 10 miles, I switched to B to see how much softer it became. And softer it became. I personally don't care for B mode as it feels like there is a 'hole' right off idle. Power is there, but there is a little lag. Never stalled it, but I didn't appreciate the lull. So, I moved forward to A mode...WOW! My first thought was "holy shit, that was a change!". The throttle response is downright intense. However, after only a couple miles, my wrist adjusted. I did over 40 miles in A mode and don't plan to use any other. It completely fills in the character of that wonderful engine. By comparison's sake, my 1050 triples always had a lot of throttle snatch. THAT can be hard to manage on very tight twisty roads where you're trail braking deep into a turn with the throttle closed and then open it to power out. Both of my 1050's, stock and modified, exhibit this behavior. The FZ-09 has none of this. So, we'll have to see if this changes with miles, but I'm left thinking the reviews are the result of one of the following: preproduction fueling glitches, crappy tuning/gas for CA, ham-fisted test riders, or nit picky moto journalism. I dunno...

Brakes - damn good. I'm SO happy to see that Yamaha didn't cheap out...they gave us their standard monoblock caliper! I was half expecting to see them split down the middle with those anodized plugs only for show. Lever feel is linear and works well with two finger braking. SS lines and radial m/c are in the plans, but I'm pleased with how they are right now. Very encouraging.

Suspension - very soft spring rates on both ends. As delivered, the rebound damping was set randomly. There was enough adjustment to get both ends working in unison for my 180 lb frame, but the rear preload is maxed and the rebound adjustment is nearly there as well. The soft springs work very well on the rougher roads and chassis control is actually quite good given the low rent components. It's not until the pace really turns up and/or you find some glass smooth roads that you REALLY start looking for more spring. There is a considerable amount of harshness over some road imperfections. I need more seat time (in addition to some measurements), but my initial reaction is that the high speed compression and rebound is too heavy. If I were too make a recommendation right now, I'd look for more low speed and less high.

Penske is shut down for inventory this week, so I'll start working with those guys the following week on the shock. I'll likely dig into the forks at the same time...

All in all, very pleased. I can't believe the level of performance Yamaha crammed in this bike for $8k. It's even made in Japan!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the report 1-3-2-4 and congrats. Which braided lines are you going to use? That's a fav upgrade of mine. 12 or so years ago I put some "Fastline" lines on my SV, felt great, had an inner diameter of 2.5mm that they claimed was optimal, but it seems like they aren't sold any more.

Which radial master cylinder? I haven't used one before, what is the advantage? Less lever travel?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. Hoping to get some photos tomorrow. If the wife is willing to cooperate, I'll use the DSLR for quality...fingers crossed.

I've worked with both Spiegler and Galfer in the past. Both offer great products, are made in the USA, and are fairly priced. Unless someone else beats me to it, I plan to work with them on the kit this fall while the bike is apart for suspension development.

I've always used the Nissin radial m/c's. The Brembo stuff is nice, but I've never retrofitted one. The primary advantage is that your finger pull/force is directly in line with the piston, which is supported by the bar (radial cylinder is 90 degrees to bar whereas standard cross pump is parallel). The stiffer geometry and direct action yield better feel. The only way to adjust lever travel is to either adjust the lever itself or the adjust the lever ratio in the m/c...like the pricey Brembo RC19.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent write-up! Thank you for the good coverage of the throttle control. That is a bit of a concern for me as a new rider.
Thanks. I have to be honest with you...I wouldn't classify this bike as beginner friendly. Yes, it all comes down to the rider's demeanor and their innate skills. But this bike has some SERIOUS legs. Like I told someone else today, if I didn't know it was 115 hp, I would have thought higher. The throttle response is great, the revs build fast, and it pulls. This isn't going to outrun a liter bike, but honestly, it's really pretty damn good. It's very reminiscent of a Speed Triple in it's power delivery. STD = good, B = soft, A = INTENSE. At first, I thought A was a mistake...too much. Once I adjusted, all concerns subsided. It's very manageable. Hopefully mine isn't a ringer and they are all this good!

Great report, 1-3-2-4! Thanks much!
Thanks - no problem!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I plan on taking it waayy easy, mainly because this is one of the few bikes I enjoy looking at, and I also don't want to buy multiple bikes. I'm old enough to know not to be stupid, and I'm coordinated enough to be smooth with the machine and take the appropriate courses, and ride only in conditions well within my limits. It won't be a commuter, so I won't be forced to ride in weather and such. I plan on staying in B mode for a while, for instance.

But, you tell me, should I flat out not buy the bike until I have more experience?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
eolith, I don't recall what you said about your previous riding experience. My guess is that you have the maturity and sense to not grab more throttle than you are ready for. You are planning on taking the MSF course, if I recall for the first level course you use their bike, so you could take the course before committing to the 09

In a plane you've had vastly more HP in your hand than the rest of us ever will, but I guess it isn't exactly the same thing.

Another way to learn is get an ugly but functional used bike and do track days with it, good for braking into turns and powering out etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts