Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow yamaman. I'm right behind you at 63 and getting ready to trade my Valkyrie for the XSR900 and appreciate you answering me in the other thread about the engine guards and highway pegs that this old man will need to stretch out these aging legs. I'm also getting ready to buy a new 18" Goldwing so Ill have a comfortable ride for when the ole lady wants to go for a spin. I've been riding since the 70's and have so many different bikes I've lost count but am looking forward to another fast and great handling bike like this XSR. May have some more questions for you sir.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey headpeon, in 2010 I traded my Valkyrie Interstate for a new Goldwing as a retirement present to self. A week after retirement I rode the wing to Alaska and back from Texas........nice long fun ride. Enjoy the XSR and Wing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey headpeon, in 2010 I traded my Valkyrie Interstate for a new Goldwing as a retirement present to self. A week after retirement I rode the wing to Alaska and back from Texas........nice long fun ride. Enjoy the XSR and Wing.
Thanks sir and I sure hope to enjoy both of them as long as I'm comfortable. Do you think these cheapie "bikemaster" pegs will mount ok on those Givi engine guards?

BikeMaster Engine Guard Highway Foot Pegs - Universal

I have to be able to stretch out occasionally on a bike like the XSR900 because of back and hip problems and am so hoping this bike works out as I need something fast and fun to go with my 2 DCT bikes I will be riding also. They are presents to myself for surviving a major health scare and can't wait until they both get here and Spring!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It looks like they will work. I liked the black pegs they matched the bars, but they are more expensive at over 60 bucks. You have to really torque them down or else they will move on you.
Auto part

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like they will work. I liked the black pegs they matched the bars, but they are more expensive at over 60 bucks. You have to really torque them down or else they will move on you.
View attachment 129618
Thanks for the tip and I agree the black pegs do look better. Looked at and sat on a XSR700 today and really liked it but just can't give up that extra cylinder and the power that comes with it I don't believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
72 years old..have been riding since i was 16..owned a yamaha dealership in Boulder, Coloirado in 70's..after a million bikes..for me the xsr 900 "clicked all the right boxes" love the style and power...

·
Registered
6 Posts
36 years old. The xsr is a fun, no BS bike. The motor is a gem in my opinion and the chassis is all you'll need for the public roads

·
Registered
14 Posts
34 years old here, rode motocross for as far back as I can remember. My yz125 & 250 were all I cared about as a teen. Grew up loving older bikes, built a cb750 café racer, but I wanted something that would get up and go. I'm not a huge fan of sport bikes and the FZ09 was too transformer looking for me, so the XSR was right up my alley.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 57. It's been a long time. I wasn't able to control myself years ago, so this is my first street bike. I still love to rip, but I'm fine going the speed limit too. I laughed when I drove through a nearby school zone the first time. This bike is even fun putting along at 25 mph. When I passed the license practical test I drove up to the top of a nearby mountain, a 25-mile drive from the bottom. I've always wanted to take a motorcycle up. Lots of fun even though I froze my tail off.

When I read the specs of the then new FZ-09 I wanted to get one. When I ran across the XSR900 a few months ago while patiently buying gear and watching for the right inexpensive used bike to get back into riding, I knew I was going to get one. I'd been watching used bikes at the local Indian/Victory dealership and was surprised when I noticed a used XSR on their website. A few days later, I bought the used 60th anniversary model that was traded in with 92 miles and eleven months left on the warranty. That was the difference the XSR made for me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
A few days later, I bought the used 60th anniversary model that was traded in with 92 miles and eleven months left on the warranty. That was the difference the XSR made for me.
Wow, good find ... she's still just like new. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
2 Posts
35 years old, this is my 2nd bike. With both I've been lucky enough to get exactly the bike I wanted. I had an 03 sv650 for 3 years which I loved but was showing some concerning engine issues so was looking to sell it and get an xsr, but as fate would have it I wrote it off in a traffic accident in October which sped things up a bit. Got a blue 16 model fresh out of the crate for $1000 off, took delivery in December. I've got enough experience to stay out of trouble on it (as much as anyone can when riding daily through Melbourne), I'm actually trying to get more country riding time to increase my confidence in the twisties, right now I'm a bit of a granny on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
46 years old

The bike got my attention! I picked one up today. At 12:30 noon.
I put about 45 miles on her so far

The XSR900 should offset the 09 K1200LT in the garage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
62, started riding bikes when I was 16 Lambretta,s/Vespa’s moved on to Triumph tiger cub, BSA C15 all up to 250cc as on L plates. Had a few bikes in my 20’s then a gap of 30 yrs I got the bug again.
2015 I bought a Honda125 then did a direct access test & bought BMW F800gt (still have)
Bought XSR900 60th one year ago and it’s a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm 57. It's been a long time. I wasn't able to control myself years ago, so this is my first street bike. I still love to rip, but I'm fine going the speed limit too. I laughed when I drove through a nearby school zone the first time. This bike is even fun putting along at 25 mph. When I passed the license practical test I drove up to the top of a nearby mountain, a 25-mile drive from the bottom. I've always wanted to take a motorcycle up. Lots of fun even though I froze my tail off.

When I read the specs of the then new FZ-09 I wanted to get one. When I ran across the XSR900 a few months ago while patiently buying gear and watching for the right inexpensive used bike to get back into riding, I knew I was going to get one. I'd been watching used bikes at the local Indian/Victory dealership and was surprised when I noticed a used XSR on their website. A few days later, I bought the used 60th anniversary model that was traded in with 92 miles and eleven months left on the warranty. That was the difference the XSR made for me.

Nice work, pkotof. I got what I believe to be the last new 60th in the Mid-Atlantic (the next closest was in Ohio). That was 1 year, 1 week and 5,500 miles ago, and I still can't wipe the grin off my face. Best of all, I'd been researching and thinking about it for months, and made the decision after spending 5+ hours at the DC bike show (the other final contenders were the Thruxton R and the RnineT). When I got back from the show, I went on the dealer's website to see if they still had it, and they'd dropped the price $960 when it became a 2016 bike being sold in 2017. You better believe I emailed them immediately and called first thing to put down a deposit the following morning.

Spiritually, it replaces my much loved pearly white metallic '08 Ducati 848, which I bought new and sold about a year and a half ago... with 18,700 miles on her. I'm 58.

·
Registered
66 Posts
42, and first street bike, although I have ridden off-road/motocross bikes for over 30 years. I initially was interested in an FZ07, until I sat on one and it felt a little small. The FZ09 felt more comfortable, but I liked the look of the XSR a little better and I came across a used '16 XSR for a steal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i got mine thursday, i will be 46 in july.
i had a vtx1300 about 12 years ago, took an 8 year break.
got a cb500f that i kept for 8 months.
the guys i rode with all had fz-07s so i got one of those.
it would have been 2 years old in march.
they all sold thier bikes and left me alone, i had to have the triple, so i got the xsr

dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll be 33 in August

Previous bikes... 00 Bandit 600, 03 ZX6R, 05 R1, 12 CBR1000RR and now the 16 XSR

I've had the XSR for 1 year now and although part of me misses the sportbikes, the XSR does everything well.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts