Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the invoice says is Amsoil synthetic 10w40. I live in south texas so it gets really hot here. I cant tell if its car or motorcycle oil, the mechanic who made the change has been working on motorcycles for 20 years, he worked at a Yamaha dealership and a Harley dealership. now that he is older he owns his own shop.
what are your opinions, is this the right oil and is it good quality oil? the invoice also says 3 quarts.... is that the right amount of oil for this bike?
Thanks
Lross778550

·
Registered
160 Posts
i would assume he knows what kind of oil to use and as for the amount 3quarts is enough it actually takes just a little less then that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He knows exactly what he is doing. You have good oil and the right weight. Shake his hand and thank him for what he has just done. Same thing I run in my bike and I want the best.

·
Registered
962 Posts
As long as he used the motorcycle version you're fine. Smaller shops don't use oil by the barrel, so they open 3 bottles for your change and hav to charge you for all 3.

·
Registered
570 Posts
IMHO, if there's any left in the third bottle, the polite thing is for them to give you the bottle so you top off the oil later if needed.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
IMHO, if there's any left in the third bottle, the polite thing is for them to give you the bottle so you top off the oil later if needed.
Less than 5 ounces of oil and you would expect him to give it to you, really. I assume that you would want your old oil and filter back too so that he wouldn't have to pay for the disposal.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Well what else is he going to do with it? Throw it away or use it in someone else's bike? Might as well give it to the owner. I do see your point though it being .15 of a quart.

OP the only thing I can see that is wrong is that you paid someone else to change your oil. It really takes longer to warm the bike up than to change the oil. I bought the kn filter and oil from auto part store for 35 bucks. I called my local dealer and they wanted $100 to change the oil. The service guy got kinda cheeky when I laughed at him. I didn't mean any offense, I was taken by surprise.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I take the left over oil and combine it with leftover oil from other oil changes, and sooner or later, I have an extra quart lying around. That is what I do with it. I always believe in being kind to people that offer me a service.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, I've seen a mechanic for over 30 years forget to put a drain plug back in. Just saying.
Every single person who is an expert at what they do will eventually make a mistake, sure.

I'll just continue going through my life trusting those I have paid to do a service I was either too lazy or incompetent to do myself.

You'll give yourself a damn ulcer second guessing everyone.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Less than 5 ounces of oil and you would expect him to give it to you, really. I assume that you would want your old oil and filter back too so that he wouldn't have to pay for the disposal.
I don't have an FZ yet, so I'm not familiar with the exact amount of oil left over after a change. My comment noted that, in general, it's nice when the mechanic returns the unused portion of the oil he used (and let's face it, you paid for). If it's only a few ounces, it's not worth the trouble, but when it approaches a half-pint or more I personally like to get it back because I can make use of it.

I change my bike's oil myself, but I bring 4 quarts of Mobil 1 with me when I take my car in for service at the local auto dealer, and it's always nice when I get the leftover 10 ounces or so back. Not a big deal if I don't get it back, I don't make an issue out of it. As I noted, I just see it as a gesture of politeness.

You remember politeness, don't you? :D

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Funny story. My wife (g/f back then) took her car into the dealer to get the oil/ filter changed. She left the dealer, made is about 3 miles before it snapped a rod and flung pieces threw the block and radiator. Tech apparently only finger tightened the drain plug. It cost the dealer about 5k to do that oil change lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts