Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, the more I ride this bike, the more I love it. And, I really loved it the first time I saw it and sat on it. This bike is a perfect fit.

We went riding today with our usual group of Harleys. This time we had two Harleys, a Goldwing trike, a Honda sport bike, a V-Strom, my husband's Shadow, and the FZ-09. All of the riders were "good" riders. We went and found twisty roads and eventually made it to the Turkey Hill Ice Cream experience. Not a bad destination :O)

The FZ-09 handles so well. It's like it reads your mind. You want to turn, okay, we can do that. You want to turn faster, tighter, okay, we can do that to. How about a series of turns? Got that covered. Yeah, it was a great ride.

My husband ended up locking his helmet to the bike and the copy of the key he made didn't work to unlock the helmet. We were actually able to get a helmet for him to borrow. Instead of continuing on the ride, we went home instead because the person who was kind enough to lend us the helmet was heading home and he followed us to our house. We went on the highway instead of the back roads. Back roads are definitely more fun and less nerve wracking.

Anyway, it's true- people will try to kill you. All the time. Here's what I noticed for today:

*About a half of a mile away from my house, I was at a light and was towards the center of the lane, a bit to the right. I was getting ready to make a left hand turn. A minivan decided that it had to make a right hand turn and road up way to close to me and was partially on the grass. If I had been in a car, you would never have been able to make a turn like that. It came within about a foot of me. That was pretty damn scary.

*I had two or three people cut me off. I knew that was going to happen. Just assume that some of them will cut you off because they will even if they should not be turning. They were turning left.

*The highway was probably the worst for people trying to kill you. We were riding and there were a line of cars who were merging. One of the cars had a woman on a cell phone. She wasn't even texting, she was turning her phone in all kinds of directions, who knows what she was trying do to. She was not paying attention, that was clear. She did not have the right of way and should have gone behind me. I knew that she would side swipe me since she was not paying attention. I slowed down enough so she could go in front of me. There was no reason to risk it.

*I was the second bike back and noticed how closely the cars cut off the first bike. Most of the cars did not even signal. They came way too close.

*Getting off the highway, I had someone cut me off while I was going straight and they were making a right hand turn. Had I not assumed that everyone is out to kill you, that person would have likely have hit me.

Even with everyone trying to kill me today, I had a great day and can't wait to get on the bike again.

How has your day been? Any good rides?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Leaving soon actually, taking the wife to dinner in the mountains. Riding the Vmax though, more comfy for 2up.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Glad you had a great time out riding today.

The $64,000 Question is; What will be your Next Bike to join your growing stable...????

Do you like the "Looks" of the New KTM 390 as much as most of us do...???

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing will match the FZ-09. I really like knowing what gear I'm in. And it tells me how much gas I have left, and I can catch up to anyone in like two seconds or less, and it's light, and my feet reach the ground and are flat, and it gets good gas mileage. There's nothing out there that can match this. Who am I kidding? Maybe if they have a new and improved FZ-09 one day??! I don't even want another bike. It will pale in comparison to this one. What's the point? I can have the Harley in the garage to maintain my bad ass image. Hah. Maybe the Hells Angels will one day accept women. I would need a Harley for that.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Having a second bike is a Luxury, as is having more than one car -- that's the whole idea of having toys.....sometimes you just want to get on a different bike for a "different" kind of ride.

I'll get an R3 or KTM390 for that different feel....

The FZ will be my primary ride, but I look forward to "playing" on another bike. To each their own....

But Jen, it seems like you've had several threads looking for information to help you decide what's best for you..... In addition to the FZ. Many here will be disappointed your No longer intending to add to your stable, lol:eek:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give it some time. You're talking to the person with ten cars here. It would be a Ninja 300 if anything. Then I would ride that and realize how much it sucks compared to the FZ-09 and it would sit next to the Harley not being ridden. Who knows.

I also want to see what the Indian Scout is like. That's a game changer right there. Hundred hp, possibly rides better than a Harley. Supposedly lower center of gravity.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Give it some time. You're talking to the person with ten cars here. It would be a Ninja 300 if anything. Then I would ride that and realize how much it sucks compared to the FZ-09 and it would sit next to the Harley not being ridden. Who knows.

I also want to see what the Indian Scout is like. That's a game changer right there. Hundred hp, possibly rides better than a Harley. Supposedly lower center of gravity.
The Ninja300 doesn't suck, it's just different..... Check out the thread here comparing the Ninja 650 to the new KTM 390. It appears the New KTM 390 will be a real hoot to ride....Not as quick or powerful as the FZ-09, but it's Not intended to be....It's a "different" Riding Experience.

I too like the "look" of those new Indian's, but you couldn't pay be to ride one...lol. To each their own:eek:

Running shoes for riding, tennis shoes for tennis....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tested out the bike with the new Dunlop Q3 on the back and zx10 shock… Wow… the bike feels planted. Glued to the road in the twists - just aim and ROLL ON.

Also pulled next to two bikes at a light today, a speed triple and some other loud 600 or so? Light turns green and the guy with the loud pipes wants to go. Through second, and then barely into third I pulled way ahead… oh so fun.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can normally go past anything that is trying to race you. Not that I would know this. :D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Ninja300 doesn't suck, it's just different..... Check out the thread here comparing the Ninja 650 to the new KTM 390. It appears the New KTM 390 will be a real hoot to ride....Not as quick or powerful as the FZ-09, but it's Not intended to be....It's a "different" Riding Experience.

I too like the "look" of those new Indian's, but you couldn't pay be to ride one...lol. To each their own:eek:

The FZ-09 works fine cruising around with all the people who want to go for a hundred mile ride and watch the scenery go by. It also does more than that. FZ works for tennis or running or walking.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. I'm still new, so the amount of life-threatening situations that I am put into in under a hundred miles is still a novelty. I expect it though.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Be careful -- many of these Cagers would hit us w/o thinking or giving a damn, except that we represent the additional risk of inadvertently damaging their Car.:mad:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I'm going any major distance (all day ride kind of thing), I do like riding with a group of bikes. We normally have 10-20 bikes. I think that being more visible gives us more of a presence and less of a chance of being squished. Even with the group, there are a lot of people who want to squish us. If I know the roads well, then I feel more comfortable riding around without a group, since I know what to expect from my end and can pay even more attention to the lunatic drivers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I rode up to Auburn today on the Auburn Folsom road, a moderately twisty and enjoyable ride. I was lucky to tag along behind a couple of Harleys that were running about 10 mph over the speed limit. They acted as announcer with their loud exhaust, and a phalanx against idiots and potential cops. I think the Harley group didn't know what to make of me once I started to follow them around Auburn, finally ending up at the local Starbucks. It was a fantastic day, especially since no one actually tried to kill me.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If they're not crossing the center line, they're pulling out in front of you and then driving 15 below the posted limit. I've learned not to trust drivers when I'm turning off even if I have the right of way... too many times I've had to pull wide around an impatient driver who pulls out when I'm turning left onto the same road. You know the ones I'm talking about... they take a quick glance and miss seeing the signal light flashing and hit the gas as if to pull right in behind you... effectively cutting you off. :mad:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even when you are in a car you have to watch yourself like crazy. We were coming home from the gym yesterday and yet again, it could have been another accident. I was in my Camaro, which is white with orange racing stripes, so we are talking about a very visible car. I was pulling up to a red light and was well within my boundaries, and a car was turning left and crossed over completely into my lane while he was turning. If I had been approaching the red light faster, I would have gotten hit by this guy turning even though I was in the lane I was supposed to be in.

Two days ago, I was driving and was going the speed limit, in a purple ocean liner (the challenger), and a pickup truck pulled out from a driveway to make a left turn. I slammed on my brakes and came within a few feet of hitting this guy. That was scary. I would have high sided had I been on the motorcycle. I was actually nervous going out on the bike yesterday after the close call with the pickup truck, almost dreading the ride. I was okay when I got on the bike and left the house, but that was one of the closest calls I have had. Yesterday, it could have been an accident, but I saw what the guy was doing and slowed down enough so he didn't hit me.

Here's some irony- we live in NY during the school year and are in PA on the weekends. Since it's summer, we are in PA full time. All of this has happened in PA, not in NY. And I ride my motorcycle in PA because it's "safer." We are near Lancaster, so it's pretty rural, but there are a lot of people in the surrounding towns. We are in town. The closest cow is within 1/2 mile from my house.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Don't worry about cows. They don't drive:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This weekend went to Montauk with the wife and my friend (& his wife on their Versys)- nice ride and I don't think anyone was trying to kill us. There was so much traffic, we had to filter and "share" lanes on the two-lane highway. Except for the traffic bit, it was a pretty good day- and coming back, we were much faster. I even got my best fuel economy at 51mpg even when I was riding mostly between 60 & 75mph! Brilliant! Now, I understand how so many people are getting upper 40s in mpg- in NYC with so much stop & go traffic, my best is sometimes a 42- but average is about 36 I think.

The Duke 390 has a load of features on its tiny dash- including a better fuel gauge that reads full to empty, tells you average fuel economy in real time, even a distance-to-empty to schedule your breaks better. Then you always see the revs, the engine temp, fuel, clock, speed, odo & trip (I think). The orange back light turns brighter/dimmer depending on ambient light conditions. Diagnostics are also built in. Then forks are RC8 spec 43mm, just not adjustable. The trellis frame is a beauty, the riding ergos long-day friendly and mirrors are usable too. It is a fun point-and-squirt bike and can keep up with many 600s in the city and backroads or tight twisties where there aren't many straights. The RC390 should be similar except for the riding style. And I will bet on the KTMs more than the Ninja 300 or other 250s to deliver the fun factor- just like the Duke 200 that I had was way more fun than the Honda and Kawi 250s. The US has been missing out on some brilliant bikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts