Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Just did a temporary lunch break trade with my buddy for his 2008 GSXR 1000 - hmmm!

12K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  Satan666 
#1 ·
My coworker is always trying to get me to spend time on his GSXR 1000, so I figured I'd do it today.

Man, talk about an experiencne! I came to the FZ-09 from a 2012 Ninja 650, just for reference.

The GSXR was AMAZING. The seating position was a bit odd, but I got used to it after about 5 minutes. The handling was really bizarre initially, but I got it down pretty quick. The first couple corners scared me a tad.

The shifting was UNBELIEVABLE, and the throttle was perfection. It never jerked or lurched; it always did exactly what I expected it to do.

After dealing with the FZ-09's throttle and crap suspension for a while now, the GSXR felt like heaven. This seriously has me considering a trade in, but I should probably do an ECU flash before making that decision.

Anyway, just ranting a bit. I did NOT want to give it back. :D

#3 ·
Nice!

I chased my buddy on his GSXR1k at the track. He had a good pull in the straights but I could out-corner him anyway. He said he'd love a smaller bike.

#5 ·
Who rides a track day at low rpms?

#7 ·
what about the riding position? How long did you ride for? I've stayed away from supersports given when i go out for rides it's usually for 100+ miles and i'd die on anything that wasn't as upright as the FZ.

#8 ·
Yeah, you definitely need to get the ECU flashed via Stoltec before considering a trade...it really makes it a brand new bike...it is a must do...like what are you waiting for anyway??! Awesome that you got to swap bikes, the gixxer is pretty awesome. Personally I would go with the R1 if seriously considering a trade for a superbike...Yamaha all the way!

#10 ·
The sad thing? I paid for my Stoltec flash and had to get a refund because I ended up getting a divorce and couldn't be without my bike for that long, as my wife took the car.

I'm about to be in a position where I can comfortably be without my bike for a while, so I am probably going to go for it.

It will be kind of funny paying him again and being like, "No, seriously, dude, I want it this time!"

:D

The suspension may have to wait for a bit, but who knows.

#18 ·
You mean a $14,000 supersport has a better suspension and fuel mapping from the factory than an $8,000 naked bike?!?! Say it ain't so! Lol, seriously though, what did you expect? As mentioned, a reflash and suspension upgrade on the fz09 will give you plenty of real world performance with a riding position that you can live with on longer rides.

#20 ·
The Gixxer 1k is an amazing bike, I've had a couple. But it's a hardcore superbike built for top speed and handling and the 09 wasn't. The 1k is not comfortable for longer stints or urban commuting where the 09 thrives. The 1k motor requires high rpms and the 09 thrills in the mid-range. Two totally different bikes for two totally different experiences.

#22 ·
Two weekends ago I made the same trade except for an '05 GSXR1000. Oh.My.God.

Same experience as you. Little different at first but the bike was incredible. For me, the seat/position was great. Cruising on the highway felt AMAZING. There was literally no wind. Felt like I was in a vacuum or something. Talk about torque and speed on that bike. I can see MANY speeding tickets on that.

I got to ride it back to his house too and surprisingly on the back roads and thru a few neighborhoods, where I thought the bike would have its down falls, it was great. Throttle response was nice, shifting was smooth, and the clutch lever didn't have a heavy pull.

I commute to work whenever possible on the FZ-09 and it hasn't impressed me much in that regard. 50 mile commute one way and boy does this thing put a hurting on me. Fighting the wind the entire time; and no I don't have a wind screen because one that would reduce the wind as much as the GSXR would kill its looks. This 'comfortable' position tends to hurt my back and I find myself leaning forward on the thing similar to a SS/SB position. That could be due to the fact I sit in relatively the same position for 10+ hours a day (2 hours commuting, 8 hours minimum in an office chair).

Anyways. I'm in the same boat, contemplating a trade in or making a second purchase. The '05 GSXR referenced here was had for cheaper than the FZ09 and it was in great condition; unmolested as well.

#29 ·
The trade in for my FZ-09 was a 2005 GSXR-1000. I agree with most of the pro FZ comments except for the claim that the GSXR needs high RPMs. Mine had tons of low end and I may be shifting the FZ a little more, but I still think it's a better urban tool.
The GSXR was so fast I had to spend some time looking for road and traffic conditions that would allow me open it's throttle for more than a second or two at a time. I get to use the FZ's power more often, it feels so much lighter and it's ergonomics are much nicer. I don't miss my GSXR.

#31 ·
I agree with most of the pro FZ comments except for the claim that the GSXR needs high RPMs. Mine had tons of low end and I may be shifting the FZ a little more, but I still think it's a better urban tool.
What I meant was the inline 4 engine of the 1k really shines in the upper rpms. It is not as tame as the 600 and 750 mid-range. It has plenty of mid-range power but it excels up top. Whereas the 09's triple excels mid-range.

#35 ·
THIS IS A YAMAHA FORUM TO TALK ABOUT YAMAHAS. NOT GAY GIXXERS.

Yes I am joking. Just a Yamaha fan boy. I never took a ride on a 1k gsxr. When I had my R6 I rode my buddies 600 gsxr. Wasn't bad, but I preferred my R6. The sound wins me over for the R1. It would be a tough fight for the other 3 for 2nd place.

#39 · (Edited)
the gsxr is better at everything in my opinion I had a 750 k6 and I miss it dearly...in Quebec(canaduh) the license(plates..we have collective insurances for the roads)is 1200 @ year without counting private insurances ...they raised the license fee drastically ..in 2008 I payed 325 a year for licensing and by 2011 it was 1400..@ year(they dropped the price a little 2 years ago ..people were going mad and everything) they categorize plate fee by class of bikes..supersports,gsxr cbr r1 1200.$ standards, fz,z1000,Harleys ect..560$ and finally 400cc and less 350$.........yeah right.......oh and don't forget that since 2009 if you speed too much they take your permit on the spot and you have to sell a body part on top of it
....I love my fz-09 keep your gixxer..I would be in jail. ;)
sorry for my shitty English mates! I do what I can !

#41 · (Edited)
I had a 2010 GSXR600 before the FZ-09.

The GSXR600 was annoying, as you had to wind it out like a sewing machine to get any power (never tried the 1k). Ultimately the ergonomics made me sell it.

Although the suspension/fueling/throttle was light years ahead of the FZ-09. I sometimes miss the I4 scream :*(

Maybe its nostalgia but I kinda miss my GSXR.

Once I upgrade the seat and ECU I think I will be in love.

#43 ·
I had the same feeling years ago when i got to ride a friends fzr1000 instead of my 900 ninja. I couldn't keep the front tire on the ground in the first three gears... It was much lighter than my ninja, but it was the lesser bike overall. You could take mine cross country if you wanted to with little discomfort. Faster off the line was fine for the city, but the ninja won out in real life usage. Have I mentioned I miss that bike? :/

#45 ·
Y g t b k

It is a dream to think that the FZ09 competes with a GSXR K bike in anything other than looks. How close is the 9 going to get to 163 HP? Both bikes are close in the weight department. The GSXR COG is inches lower. The 9 is built on a budget. The GSXR is no compromise.

Street riding - BS!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motorcycle fairing

Just add high bars, a laminar lip and a tail bag for your lunch! Oh, replace the exhaust iron with a Taylormade, gain 7 HP and loose 24#. Time to visit the Central Coast . . .

Not that I don't like the 9, it is a different sport!

P.S.: If you look really close, check out the extended mirror stalks to actually see what's behind . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.