Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coworker is always trying to get me to spend time on his GSXR 1000, so I figured I'd do it today.

Man, talk about an experiencne! I came to the FZ-09 from a 2012 Ninja 650, just for reference.

The GSXR was AMAZING. The seating position was a bit odd, but I got used to it after about 5 minutes. The handling was really bizarre initially, but I got it down pretty quick. The first couple corners scared me a tad.

The shifting was UNBELIEVABLE, and the throttle was perfection. It never jerked or lurched; it always did exactly what I expected it to do.

After dealing with the FZ-09's throttle and crap suspension for a while now, the GSXR felt like heaven. This seriously has me considering a trade in, but I should probably do an ECU flash before making that decision.

Anyway, just ranting a bit. I did NOT want to give it back. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Nice!

I chased my buddy on his GSXR1k at the track. He had a good pull in the straights but I could out-corner him anyway. He said he'd love a smaller bike.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My coworker is always trying to get me to spend time on his GSXR 1000, so I figured I'd do it today.

Man, talk about an experiencne! I came to the FZ-09 from a 2012 Ninja 650, just for reference.

The GSXR was AMAZING. The seating position was a bit odd, but I got used to it after about 5 minutes. The handling was really bizarre initially, but I got it down pretty quick. The first couple corners scared me a tad.

The shifting was UNBELIEVABLE, and the throttle was perfection. It never jerked or lurched; it always did exactly what I expected it to do.

After dealing with the FZ-09's throttle and crap suspension for a while now, the GSXR felt like heaven. This seriously has me considering a trade in, but I should probably do an ECU flash before making that decision.

ECU flash + Stoltec-issued suspension upgrades bring the FZ09 up to a level that the GSXR can't compete with except when running at high RPM on the track.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
ECU flash + Stoltec-issued suspension upgrades bring the FZ09 up to a level that the GSXR can't compete with except when running at high RPM on the track.
Who rides a track day at low rpms?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
what about the riding position? How long did you ride for? I've stayed away from supersports given when i go out for rides it's usually for 100+ miles and i'd die on anything that wasn't as upright as the FZ.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah, you definitely need to get the ECU flashed via Stoltec before considering a trade...it really makes it a brand new bike...it is a must do...like what are you waiting for anyway??! Awesome that you got to swap bikes, the gixxer is pretty awesome. Personally I would go with the R1 if seriously considering a trade for a superbike...Yamaha all the way!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Who rides a track day at low rpms?
Lol right.

The supersports are a different animal. They are fundamentally different concept compared to the FZ09. The GSXR model is a track bike outfitted for the street (blinkers, headlight, taillight, tag light). Had a couple 600's and 1 750, but never had the 1000. My buddy has a '07 R1 and he wheelies past me in 2nd when I am already in third, full throttle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you definitely need to get the ECU flashed via Stoltec before considering a trade...it really makes it a brand new bike...it is a must do...like what are you waiting for anyway??! Awesome that you got to swap bikes, the gixxer is pretty awesome. Personally I would go with the R1 if seriously considering a trade for a superbike...Yamaha all the way!
The sad thing? I paid for my Stoltec flash and had to get a refund because I ended up getting a divorce and couldn't be without my bike for that long, as my wife took the car.

I'm about to be in a position where I can comfortably be without my bike for a while, so I am probably going to go for it.

It will be kind of funny paying him again and being like, "No, seriously, dude, I want it this time!"

:D

The suspension may have to wait for a bit, but who knows.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That was meant to be taken as meaning the kind of sustained high RPM riding you can really only do at the track.
Are you trying to say a modded FZ09 will handle better than a stock GSXR at the track?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Most of the 1 liter sport bikes are pretty amazing for short rides.

Take it for an all day 300 mile plus ride and give us a report then.

The forward leaning bias will beat you up pretty good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you trying to say a modded FZ09 will handle better than a stock GSXR at the track?
Thats not what he said at all. He is saying that while the gsxr1000 is a better machine, you really need to be at the track to use it to its potential. On the other hand, the fz09 is a better bike for real world street use. I agree with this sentiment, and i have owned a zx10r and gsxr750.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thats not what he said at all. He is saying that while the gsxr1000 is a better machine, you really need to be at the track to use it to its potential. On the other hand, the fz09 is a better bike for real world street use. I agree with this sentiment, and i have owned a zx10r and gsxr750.
No he didn't say that. He said it would "out perform" the GSXR in real world riding. Just how does it do that? In braking?
In acceleration? In handling? What?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I agree with that 100%.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No he didn't say that. He said it would "out perform" the GSXR in real world riding. Just how does it do that? In braking?
In acceleration? In handling? What?
Like i said, i have owned supersports. The fz09 is a much better bike for street riding. It has consistent torque throughout the revs, and IMO that alone makes it a better bike for street use. You arent constantly have to drop gears and watch the revs to be able to pass or pull hard out of corners. However if im on the track, i'll take the gsxr everytime.

But im not gonna argue over this with you. You are entitled to your own opinion

·
Registered
213 Posts
You mean a $14,000 supersport has a better suspension and fuel mapping from the factory than an $8,000 naked bike?!?! Say it ain't so! Lol, seriously though, what did you expect? As mentioned, a reflash and suspension upgrade on the fz09 will give you plenty of real world performance with a riding position that you can live with on longer rides.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Most of the 1 liter sport bikes are pretty amazing for short rides.

Take it for an all day 300 mile plus ride and give us a report then.

The forward leaning bias will beat you up pretty good.
The spirit is willing, but the wrists, knees, hips, and goodness knows what else will have none of it. :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

The Gixxer 1k is an amazing bike, I've had a couple. But it's a hardcore superbike built for top speed and handling and the 09 wasn't. The 1k is not comfortable for longer stints or urban commuting where the 09 thrives. The 1k motor requires high rpms and the 09 thrills in the mid-range. Two totally different bikes for two totally different experiences.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts