Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIKE (UK) Magazine generally does well-written articles. And they have another good report on the FZ09/MT-09.

Surprisingly, they were actually complementary of the stock suspension.

Not surprisingly, they say, "the inline 847cc inline-three is superb."

They say "throttle response isn't a highlight...as with the Kawasaki Z800 and Street Triple the response is switchy, with a step between no-fuel and fuel.

They dismissed the "vague" front end report as criticism from only one "racer" journalist, saying it felt just fine to them. The bike "eagerly swoops, darts, and flicks to little more than a nod. And does it confidently."

Comparing the FZ9 to the mighty Street Triple from their little island, they say the "Yamaha is just as agile and easy to exploit but with a stronger engine, better spec, and finer fit and finish"--also calling it "livelier, better presented, a degree more comfortable...[with] a more absorbent suspension than the Triumph's."

Here's the cover shot from my phone:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nice!

As for the suspension, I cannot wait to see what Stoltec and Triplethreat are going to do with theirs! Seems like they are getting a good starting point from this report!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Nice!

As for the suspension, I cannot wait to see what Stoltec and Triplethreat are going to do with theirs! Seems like they are getting a good starting point from this report!
The shock is currently at Penske, though they are busying themselves for the Orlando show. Hopefully have some options back in my hands next week (fingers crossed!)

As for the forks, they are apart on the bench. I have at least three courses of action mapped out, but not quite ready to publicize, yet...

·
Registered
616 Posts
The shock is currently at Penske, though they are busying themselves for the Orlando show. Hopefully have some options back in my hands next week (fingers crossed!)

As for the forks, they are apart on the bench. I have at least three courses of action mapped out, but not quite ready to publicize, yet...
Could you describe the fork design for me?
i.e. does it have rebound and compression valving in each leg,or does it have compression in one leg and rebound in the other?Which I believe is the case with the FZ8.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
There are springs in both legs, but only one does damping. The cartridge in the damping leg looks pretty standard, but the other one is 'dead'. I'll have pictures updated in my build thread this weekend. It's been tough finding time to take the pictures, let alone chronicling the details. But, it will happen...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just got the issue of Bike in the mail, fantastic article on the FZ-09. Also has nice stuff on the Triumph factory, a great article on the Schwantz vs. Rainey rivalry back in 1993, a tech piece on why throttles are snatchy and other good stuff. Definitely worth picking up at your local newsstand or bookstore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts