Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started riding so I'm in the process of getting all the gear I need. Right now I'm looking at jackets with proper protection. I am riding with leathers that I have in the mean time..

I have noticed a huge difference in wind noise with different style jackets. My leather with a traditional collar is what I started riding with, so that is my baseline.. Then I pulled out my nascar team jacket with a collar similar to most sport bike jackets. The wind noise with this jacket is insane, it's like it funnels air into the bottom of my helmet.. The only way to quite it, is to hunch my shoulders.
Is this common with low collared jackets? Is it because my neck and the bottom of the helmet are exposed? Or am I just crazy?..
I'd hate to spend 500 on a jacket and then hate wearing it..

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
This is really interesting. I've never really noticed (or given it thought) a noise difference but I have noticed that different jackets can channel the air up my helmet and at higher speeds start pushing the helmet up. I'll have to pay more attention to this as riding season continues and see if I can make any valid correlation.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
is your head position consistent? Do the jackets fit similarly? If the jackets fit differently, it may be changing your body and head position, thus creating different wind noise experiences for you...that's a total guess though.

I have an astars jaws leather jacket - it's great but i get some serious buffeting in my helmet - i think this is mainly due to the aerodynamics of my helmet though (HJC RPS10) which is meant more for a 3/4 position than upright.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I know this doesn't necessarily relate to jacket types, but wearing custom molded ear plugs while riding pretty much negates any wind noise that you are going to encounter.

Reactions: motomania

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I was actually talking to some of the Schuberth reps recently about wind noise. The told me the majority of wind noise comes from the visor and underneath the helmet. They implemented some features to counter it, one was an array of mini wind diffusers lining the top edge of their visors and the other is sealing off the bottom of the helmet as much as possible. The padding at the bottom is designed to seal around your neck. I didn't get a chance to test their helmet, but I have feeling they may be on to something, they are German by the way.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I know this doesn't necessarily relate to jacket types, but wearing custom molded ear plugs while riding pretty much negates any wind noise that you are going to encounter.
I always wear earplugs, have for at least 15 years (not custom). That's probably why I didn't notice the noise but still noticed different air currents with different jackets and on different bikes.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ear plugs!

Even moving at a relatively slow pace like 30 mph the wind buffeting is giving your ears a workout even if it is too low to really hear it.

The abuse just gets worse as speed goes up and helmets do nothing to help.

You have to remember, sound is merely pressure variations in the air that your ears can sense.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No collar track style 2pc leathers are my favorite....less wind drag and noise (with my plugs doesn't really matter about noise)
the tighter fit helps a lot!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The textile jackets are the worse because it's harder to get them to fig snug across the shoulders.

If they are not tight you can get a little flapping happening just around the top of the shoulder and up to the neck, this will drive you insane after 30 minutes and it doesn't take a big flap to do it, what you don't even notice initially can become a major annoyance on a longer ride.
Jackets that have the removable liners appear to be the worse at this because they puff out much more when the liners are in, so when you take the liner out they are looser.
Make sure you try them on with and without liners, any type of looseness across the shoulders is not acceptable.
Also try to get the ones with the sleeve adjusters with elastic in them so you can pull them tight around your arms, sometimes they flap a little there too. These also help hold the armor in place too.

A wide/ thick, high collar is better but this isn't much fun in a summer jacket.
So in a summer jacket look for a stud fit neck not velcro, as easy as velcro is if you do it up wrong it'll rub your neck raw in a flash and still isn't as secure as a press stud.

You would be amazed how quiet a good neck warmer makes a helmet.

I know these things because I'm a jacket whore.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OP, What type of helmet do you have. I have a leather alpinestars jacket and fly textile. When I had my icon helmet i would notice a difference in wind noise between the two jackets. But with my shoe RF1200 there is no difference now. They helmet has a chin curtain and seals nicely at the visor.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just started riding so I'm in the process of getting all the gear I need. Right now I'm looking at jackets with proper protection. I am riding with leathers that I have in the mean time..

I have noticed a huge difference in wind noise with different style jackets. My leather with a traditional collar is what I started riding with, so that is my baseline.. Then I pulled out my nascar team jacket with a collar similar to most sport bike jackets. The wind noise with this jacket is insane, it's like it funnels air into the bottom of my helmet.. The only way to quite it, is to hunch my shoulders.
Is this common with low collared jackets? Is it because my neck and the bottom of the helmet are exposed? Or am I just crazy?..
I'd hate to spend 500 on a jacket and then hate wearing it..
Yes you are crazy.
Choice of trousers and whether beans have been eaten recently have more bearing on wind noise. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the exact reason why I ride buck naked. And cars get out of my way! Woo Hoo!
geeez why didn't I think of that... So simple and it solves everything.. Just one question.. Do you wear one helmet or two when you ride naked?

OP, What type of helmet do you have. I have a leather alpinestars jacket and fly textile. When I had my icon helmet i would notice a difference in wind noise between the two jackets. But with my shoe RF1200 there is no difference now. They helmet has a chin curtain and seals nicely at the visor.
I have the shoei gt-air. I assume it's a noisy helmet in general due to all the venting. But the jackets make a difference.

Yes you are crazy.
Choice of trousers and whether beans have been eaten recently have more bearing on wind noise. :D
Haha.. Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

So ear plugs are on the list of gear now...

Is there a difference between foam and the higher quality noise filtering plugs?

·
Registered
652 Posts
So ear plugs are on the list of gear now...

Is there a difference between foam and the higher quality noise filtering plugs?
With earplugs there are lots of differences in comfort, efficiency etc.I recommend trying an assortment and finding the type you like best.Ears are all different shapes and what suits one person can be torture for another.
Foam plugs are really only intended for single use and gradually lose their ability to expand after repeated use.
I prefer reusable silicone plugs from Moldex.
Ear Plugs
Moldex Comets Reusable Ear Plugs (NRR 25) - Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs
Moldex Rockets Reusable Ear Plugs w/Carry Case (NRR 27) - Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs

There is a correct way to insert ear plugs.Find out what that is and follow it.Many people insert them with the wrong technique and they do not offer optimum protection.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You can still hear the bike and feel the vibrations with custom earplugs, just muted quite a bit. I listen to music through mine, been doing it for years, and I am still in tune with the road

1 - 18 of 18 Posts