Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the Jack/Lift from Harbor Freight, slid under the muffler? I've read a few of us have used that method, but I can't find a specific mention of this inexpensive lift. I have one for sale locally for half the price. It's called the ATV/Motorcycle lift, with a minimum 5 1/2 working height? It would really come in handy for working on both ends at the same time, plus use it on my off road bike as well. Thanks, G

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would never jack up a 400 pound motorcycle by the muffler. There are other safer ways to change a shock or work on it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
haven't used it on my fz but i own the grey one, my fathers harley has been on it for a few months while he's been working on it and its been holding up great

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would never jack up a 400 pound motorcycle by the muffler. There are other safer ways to change a shock or work on it.
I completely understand your point, but as said, others have done it with this particular bike/muffler combo, so that's why I asked. Appreciate your point though and others you have made in the forum CD. Thanks to both of you for responding. Cheers, G.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Anyone use the Jack/Lift from Harbor Freight, slid under the muffler? I've read a few of us have used that method, but I can't find a specific mention of this inexpensive lift. I have one for sale locally for half the price. It's called the ATV/Motorcycle lift, with a minimum 5 1/2 working height? It would really come in handy for working on both ends at the same time, plus use it on my off road bike as well. Thanks, G

Ive not used that one but I have a Craftsman jack that is very similar and before I bought my stands, I jacked my bike up just fine with it under the exhaust...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Reactions: VERSYS8

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I used that exact one on my fz6r for the 2 years I had it. No problems, worked great, but I never felt comfortable with it. The bike always felt too insecure and a gust of wind would knock the bike off. If you balance it right you can get the rear wheel up with the nose barely touching for added stabilization. Once I sold the bike I sold the stand too. Invested in a pitbull set when I got the 09. Very VERY glad I did.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used a HF floor lift on the stock cat. as a lift point. That is some serious strong metal there. No chance of damaging the cat. I used jack stands under the foot pegs for balancing the bike once the lift has it at the proper height.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used that exact one on my fz6r for the 2 years I had it. No problems, worked great, but I never felt comfortable with it. The bike always felt too insecure and a gust of wind would knock the bike off. If you balance it right you can get the rear wheel up with the nose barely touching for added stabilization. Once I sold the bike I sold the stand too. Invested in a pitbull set when I got the 09. Very VERY glad I did.

Are you talking about the wheel stands or the harbor freight jackstand?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input y'all. This was really a specific one time thing. Buy the lift, used, for 50 bucks. Do the quick job to the front end, sell it again. I'll have access to a TT lift in a month when a friend gets his, plus the use of his garage just up the street. I have a carport. None of this matters anymore, since my stock pipes are coming off and it's TT lift or nothing now. I already had a rear stand for my Versys. Just a few days can make a huge difference. CD gave me some good advice and info which I'll put into motion this week. Cheers, Greg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts