Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Some states require both brake lights to function independently. Take your chances there.

If he's going the other way in the twisties, either A) he's already determined you were speeding, and he'll turn around and chase you down, so it doesn't matter if you tap your rear brake to slow down, or B) he didn't think you were speeding, in which case it's not necessary to slow down.

Either way, he's unlikely to be able to see your brake light go on in his mirror, and even if he did see it flash he's already made up his mind as to how fast you appeared to be going. Do you really think a cop going by would think to himself, "Yeah, he looks fine. No, wait! His brake light just went on... He must have been speeding! Let's get him!"

Seriously, J., if you're so far over the speed limit on the freeway that you have to use the brakes to slow down to legal speed, he's already got you. Your natural instinct is going to be to roll off the throttle anyway (face it, we all do that when we see a cop), and that should be enough to get you down to legal speed without making a spectacle of yourself. I highly doubt your brake light is going to be the catalyst that causes the cop to pull you over, when he wouldn't have otherwise.

My point here is, this is one of those well-aged myths that has no basis in reality (kinda like "loud pipes save lives", and "don't use the front brake or you'll go over the handlebars"). Removing safety equipment because you think it might save you a speeding ticket isn't a good idea. If you ever saw a cop on the road and he didn't pull you over after you stomped on your unlit rear brake, he wasn't going to pull you over anyway. (Maybe LouG can chime in here with his take from his years on a patrol bike...)

On the other hand, having a rear brake light can be very handy when someone is tailgating you, for instance. You can lightly tap the rear brake and show them the light without actually slowing noticeably. This can be useful when you know you have a turn coming up, or when you see traffic slowing ahead and you want them to be aware, but you don't want them running you over as soon as you squeeze your front brake. I use this technique quite often. The benefits of a rear brake light far outweigh any perceived drawbacks. Please consider keeping it functional...
Understood. I've just been doing it for years. I do tap the front to let others know when I'm going to brake. The only time I really use the rear brake is when tail braking when riding hard at the track which I haven't done with the fz yet as I've only had it a little while. I'm more likely to get ticketed for the integrated head and tail lights

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
472 Posts
Okay, I have to call BS here. Please describe a scenario in which not having a brake light would keep you from getting a ticket. If anything, you would get a ticket for not having a brake light!

I understand not hitting the front brake hard if you see a cop ahead of you, but the brake light would only be seen if the cop was behind you, and I just don't see the benefit...
As a former police officer I can speak to both sides of this. Yes not having a brake light is a ticket for sure but technically you still have a brake light as your front brake still engages the light. From a law enforcement standpoint we often see people speeding and if nothing crazy I myself never wrote a ticket. But often I was looking for other things or even doing paperwork. Brake lights lighting up as soon as we see each other is often a attention grabber that can often lead to a stop. You hitting your brakes is often a admission of speeding without ever talking as if you were not speeding you don't hit your brakes. As a cop you can then articulate the length of time the light was engaged until the time you were finally able to obtain a speed reading to justify their speed was much higher than the reading. Never cite above that reading but document the observation to validate the ticket. If I only had you at 5-10 over and see you decreasing speed but no brake light it would appear your initial speed was not so high that it warranted hitting your brakes rather letting off the gas. Which would tend to suggest the speed was not "excessive " enough to issue a ticket for only a 5-10 mph violation if they are slowing. We often sit off just past posted signs and if someone is slowing without slamming on their brakes I often gave benefit of a doubt.

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As a former police officer I can speak to both sides of this. Yes not having a brake light is a ticket for sure but technically you still have a brake light as your front brake still engages the light. From a law enforcement standpoint we often see people speeding and if nothing crazy I myself never wrote a ticket. But often I was looking for other things or even doing paperwork. Brake lights lighting up as soon as we see each other is often a attention grabber that can often lead to a stop. You hitting your brakes is often a admission of speeding without ever talking as if you were not speeding you don't hit your brakes. As a cop you can then articulate the length of time the light was engaged until the time you were finally able to obtain a speed reading to justify their speed was much higher than the reading. Never cite above that reading but document the observation to validate the ticket. If I only had you at 5-10 over and see you decreasing speed but no brake light it would appear your initial speed was not so high that it warranted hitting your brakes rather letting off the gas. Which would tend to suggest the speed was not "excessive " enough to issue a ticket for only a 5-10 mph violation if they are slowing. We often sit off just past posted signs and if someone is slowing without slamming on their brakes I often gave benefit of a doubt.
A sepperate question for you. Why are integrated lights illegal? With the integrated headlight (seen earlier in this thread) I did it is much more visible than most aftermarket blinkers that have the proper spacing. I'm currently making my own taillight and it will be integrated as well. I live in CA by the way.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
472 Posts
A sepperate question for you. Why are integrated lights illegal? With the integrated headlight (seen earlier in this thread) I did it is much more visible than most aftermarket blinkers that have the proper spacing. I'm currently making my own taillight and it will be integrated as well. I live in CA by the way.
Well California has it's own ass backwards rules so for your state it is hard to say. I know the rule of thumb for this law is with the inability to differentiate the lights so that others coming in contact with you know your movement intentions. They argue that with high output lighting becoming DOT approved it's harder to see blinkers that are integrated. Many of the aftermarket blinkers are not DOT approved along with most mods we do to any vehicle (especially in CA). Same with tail lights if you watch videos of those lights it's hard to tell if it is a flasher in the light or a blinker. They also dont have their housing divided as you do which allows for color bleed and is the main reason they are not allowed. I could see CA saying your headlight has a yellow hue and therefore not enough color separation. Is it dumb... in most cases. One of my favorite laws were mud flaps in AZ. Trucks lifted above "stock" height must have them but my rock crawling jeep with its stretched wheelbase and cut out fenders does not need them because it's not a "truck". Or a universal law like movies playing in the front (dash head unit) row while driving. Law states "tv" in most states verbiage. Definition for "tv" is a device that receives an external signal and displays it on a screen. An in dash DVD player if the disc is in the head unit is not a "tv". However, a GPS is certainly a tv by definition because it receives an external signal (satellite) and displays it on the screen. Patrol car computers fall under "tv" as well. You know double standards;) sorry to jack your build post. We can DM any questions you may have and remember I am NOT an attorney and this was strictly informational and not intended to be legal advise... lol

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not keeping your light you made?
I may keep tinkering with it but needed something on the bike now as I cut off the plug from my oem light and cut the bracket that attached the OEM light. Have tried 3 different led setups and they all look great when shaded but not so good in full on sun.

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So... K tech all installed, rizoma installed, Buell clubmans flipped and clutch cable rerouted, arashi rearsets installed, passenger pegs removed due to my feet hitting with new rearsets, rear tie downs made from old blinker mounts. Still have to remount controls, install tank and duct covers, install rear blinkers and plate lights (should be here by Wednesday), fill and bleed rear brake, order all brake lines (one that's on the rear was stolen from my cbr), rear has to be +2 for new rearsets

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have all of your stock fork internals? If so I would like to buy the internals from the adjustable fork.

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The lever guard/mirror setup is interesting. Who is the mfg?
Not sure. eBay. Lever guard is cast aluminum, mirror housing is plastic. Seem to be pretty good quality though and can easily fold in the mirrors or remove just the mirror part for a track day. They are a little bulkier than what I thought they were gonna be buy still kinda fit the style of the bike and I haven't seen them before

21 - 40 of 54 Posts