Custom chain guard
Custom gauge bracket
Bar risers

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got her started with the 17 motor in her today. Time for a test ride.

While swapping the motor I removed the evap system and pair system. Also found that it already had a b&m filter and flashed ecu.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome, no pics of the swap?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree it's not rocket science, but I was saying mainly for documenting your build thread.

Reactions: Morten and J.Wright

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree it's not rocket science, but I was saying mainly for documenting your build thread.
yep there’s absolutely nothing of value here, the whole point of a build thread is to document the process, so that others may get some value out of it, and You get to show off your handy work.

Reactions: Jaronv74

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
link to write up for the integrated light...

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
553 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
472 Posts
I disconnect the rear brake switch so when I see a cop I can brake without the brake light coming on and no front end dive because I don't use the front brake. Makes it harder to tell that I'm slowing down. Pretty sure it's saved me a few speeding tickets.
Certainly has for me!!!!

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
I disconnect the rear brake switch so when I see a cop I can brake without the brake light coming on and no front end dive because I don't use the front brake. Makes it harder to tell that I'm slowing down. Pretty sure it's saved me a few speeding tickets.
Certainly has for me!!!!
Okay, I have to call BS here. Please describe a scenario in which not having a brake light would keep you from getting a ticket. If anything, you would get a ticket for not having a brake light!

I understand not hitting the front brake hard if you see a cop ahead of you, but the brake light would only be seen if the cop was behind you, and I just don't see the benefit...

·
Registered
16 fz09
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

1. Where’d you relocate the horn to?
    horn relocated inside left Intake duct. Seen it from another member
  2. Okay, I have to call BS here. Please describe a scenario in which not having a brake light would keep you from getting a ticket. If anything, you would get a ticket for not having a brake light!

I understand not hitting the front brake hard if you see a cop ahead of you, but the brake light would only be seen if the cop was behind you, and I just don't see the benefit...
    Still have brake light when I use the front brake.
Scenario. Cop passes going other direction in the twisties doesn't see my brake light.

Or. Cop getting on freeway as I'm in the fast lane

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
Still have brake light when I use the front brake.
Some states require both brake lights to function independently. Take your chances there.

Scenario. Cop passes going other direction in the twisties doesn't see my brake light.
If he's going the other way in the twisties, either A) he's already determined you were speeding, and he'll turn around and chase you down, so it doesn't matter if you tap your rear brake to slow down, or B) he didn't think you were speeding, in which case it's not necessary to slow down.

Either way, he's unlikely to be able to see your brake light go on in his mirror, and even if he did see it flash he's already made up his mind as to how fast you appeared to be going. Do you really think a cop going by would think to himself, "Yeah, he looks fine. No, wait! His brake light just went on... He must have been speeding! Let's get him!"

Or. Cop getting on freeway as I'm in the fast lane
Seriously, J., if you're so far over the speed limit on the freeway that you have to use the brakes to slow down to legal speed, he's already got you. Your natural instinct is going to be to roll off the throttle anyway (face it, we all do that when we see a cop), and that should be enough to get you down to legal speed without making a spectacle of yourself. I highly doubt your brake light is going to be the catalyst that causes the cop to pull you over, when he wouldn't have otherwise.

My point here is, this is one of those well-aged myths that has no basis in reality (kinda like "loud pipes save lives", and "don't use the front brake or you'll go over the handlebars"). Removing safety equipment because you think it might save you a speeding ticket isn't a good idea. If you ever saw a cop on the road and he didn't pull you over after you stomped on your unlit rear brake, he wasn't going to pull you over anyway. (Maybe LouG can chime in here with his take from his years on a patrol bike...)

On the other hand, having a rear brake light can be very handy when someone is tailgating you, for instance. You can lightly tap the rear brake and show them the light without actually slowing noticeably. This can be useful when you know you have a turn coming up, or when you see traffic slowing ahead and you want them to be aware, but you don't want them running you over as soon as you squeeze your front brake. I use this technique quite often. The benefits of a rear brake light far outweigh any perceived drawbacks. Please consider keeping it functional...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts