Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface: This is a tune update performed by Nels @ 2wheeldynoworks. I had a full custom tune loaded with notes in this thread:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2305-2-wheel-dyno-works-no-ethanol-tune.html

Here is my new chart:

Blue line is the old chart. Peak HP: 102 Peak Torque 58.88
Red line is the new chart. Peak HP: 102.49 Peak Torque 59.92

I'm running the full exhaust system IXIL Hyperlow with no baffles AND with honeycomb cat still inside. Nels also removed the ECU limiter with this tune.

Far from a huge performance gain but aesthetics, weight and sound were my top priorities!

Reactions: Davinci and hr1nut

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just installed my Hyperlow about an hour ago. My butt dyno said the flat spot in Torque from 4 to 6k was much better. Looking at your chart I can see why.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A couple of hours earlier, my 2015 bike with de-catted IXIL Hyperflow was at Nell's dyno yesterday too and I was prepared to do a full ECU reflash. My goal was to provide a map to anyone who bought an IXIL exhaust since none had been made up to that point. We did a base run with the baffles in and it made 104 hp and 60.42 ft.lbs. torque. The A/F ratio was spot on at 13.5:1 up to 6k rpm and then it gradually became richer, peaking at 12:1 at 10k. I know this is accurate because with no cat, his tail-pipe oxygen sensor is getting an actual measurement of CO. Anyway, it was so good with the stock ECU that we decided not to anything.

My recommendation to anyone considering buying this full system is to drill out the short catalyst and simply run it with the baffles in. It will be about as loud as the catted pipe with the baffles out. If you like loud, you can run the de-catted pipe with the baffles out with no fear of hurting anything, but it won't run as good. I know because I did it in a race with a couple of guys on liter bikes and couldn't catch them when normally I could. Nell's said the bike likes a bit of back pressure. He added that he's seen the best peak numbers from the Yosh and Carbon Akro full systems. I think the FZ likes long pipes and that's the reason Yamaha put three passes in the stock exhaust and Akro put the loop on the Carbon. I like short and knew the IXIL straight-pipe design was going to be a compromise. But after seeing 56 ft.lbs. of torque at only 3700 rpm, no dips, perfect fueling, 45 mpg even pushing it with pump gas and stock ECU, the IXIL is a good bang for the buck. It has a great header design and I'm amazed at the quality. It only saves 6 lbs. over stock, but that's because it's solid.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snagged a quick clip of a pass. As always, video doesn't do the pipe justice but it sounds great:

@motodude - the largest benefit I had on my '14 was the tweaks Nels did on my initial tune. A-mode default, throttle tip-in adjustment, engine braking adjustment and overall fueling helped a ton. I wasn't worried too much about performance gains with the IXIL but damn it looks and sounds good!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for the dyno runs guys. I picked up an Ixil , also getting a flash from Dave at Vcycle. I will run mostly with baffles in and not going to touch the cat. As you said she needs some length and baffling to make the most power. The pipe looks and sounds great. Nice to see the dip at 5k brought up.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the updates, great to see it's ok with the stock tune. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
After several months running with the baffles in, I took them out for a while and found the bike doesn't come off closed throttle as smooth as with them in. But I kind of wanted more free flowing top end so hack sawed the inlet tubes off the baffles leaving only the smaller diameter end caps in place. Now it is only slightly louder and still has great low end response and power. I think the end caps send a shock wave back to the exhaust at just the right frequency to make it run this way with the de-cat and stock 2015 map.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts