Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe Im not alone. My headlight lense is melting! I use highbeams during the day. Ive noticed a spot on my lense but figured it was frost or condensation inside the lense but upon closer examination, its melting.

Ill try to upload some pics as imageshack is now making me upgrade to premium in order to post photos. Ill try to use the forum software... OK hopefully a front and side view here:

Update edit: my headlights assembly has been replaced under warranty.

IMAG0295.jpg IMAG0296.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is pretty insane... good thing there's warranty?
Yeah I figure its a warranty issue but I really think they need to replace the lense with a more heat resistant one. But probably wont happen if Im the only one experiencing the issue. So this thread is to see if its a widespread issue.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It seems obvious enough but I would refrain from mentioning the whole high beams on 24/7 thing when you bring this up to the dealer. Even thought it should not be doing that with the highs on in the first place. They are always looking for a way out of fixing stuff. Could it be something besides the Lens? Maybe wrong bulb from factory, or bad wiring or something?

Reactions: Tunnelvision748

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should mention I've got 1300 miles on the bike and most of those were in pretty cold weather. Bought it Nov last year.

I could see this melting completely through with the nice weather coming. Easily.

As far as using high beams, I thought that was standard practice for motorcycles during the day.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The standard light is bright enough. Save you high beam for emergencies like signaling a driver or another rider OR if its pitch black outside.

Question, does your bike sit outside in the sunlight allot?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As far as using high beams, I thought that was standard practice for motorcycles during the day.
Uhhh no. It's illegal in most states.....and using high beams during the day fools you into thinking everyone can see you coming. Bad idea.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
248 Posts
I generally ride with my high beam on during daylight hours. I just had a look and mine headlight looks good, although I had noticed that it does get quite hot.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The standard light is bright enough. Save you high beam for emergencies like signaling a driver or another rider OR if its pitch black outside.

Question, does your bike sit outside in the sunlight allot?

The bike is only in sunlight when I'm riding, or tinkering, and most of that like I said was in cold weather.

But yeah, I think I'm done with high beams until I get this resolved. I've seen lense covers available I wonder if anyone sells replacement lenses yet? Aftermarket, better quality lenses I mean.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uhhh no. It's illegal in most states.....and using high beams during the day fools you into thinking everyone can see you coming. Bad idea.

This is the first I've heard of it being actually illegal and I frequent other forums where it is recomended to use the highs during the day. Plus I learned to ride in the 80s were it was common practice. Or so I thought.

I'm not afraid to change my ways. I always ride like I'm invisible to others anyway.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
But anyway there's actually only one bulb with a shutter for both high and low beam correct me if I'm wrong. So the same heat would be present with either beam used.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's not an HID bulb. There are 2 filaments in the bulb, one for high and one for low. There is more heat generated when using the high beam. And I don't blame you for using your high beams all the time. The OEM headlight is pathetic as best even on high beam. Most people switch to a projector and HID setup.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had to run out and check mine and it's fine but I don't use high often.
Nevertheless, this isn't an issue whether one should ride with high beam on or not. The issue is the lens should be able to sustain running high 24/7.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
http://www.fz09.org/forum/8-fz-09-pictures-videos/273-posting-photos.html#post3287

Short version, you up load your photos to albums in your profile, then you can link them to your posts in threads.

The link in the how-to is for the old site name ([email protected]), if you click My Profile at the top of a site page and scroll down until you see Albums on the left and then click More it will get you there.

Regards the headlight, whether or not you should use high beam in the daytime it shouldn't self destruct if you do. ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oooh! Exciting! A potential high beams debate, can't wait to read all the point / counterpoint arguments.

Ahem. Anyway. I leave mine on and the plastic is fine. Warranty issue!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oooh! Exciting! A potential high beams debate, can't wait to read all the point / counterpoint arguments.

Ahem. Anyway. I leave mine on and the plastic is fine. Warranty issue!

I would rather that didnt happen with this thread. The point was to report this issue to the members here and see if its a widespread problem. Now that I think about it, with the triagular running light system on the front end, I feel highbeams were not necessary.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would rather that didnt happen with this thread. The point was to report this issue to the members here and see if its a widespread problem. Now that I think about it, with the triagular running light system on the front end, I feel highbeams were not necessary.

Trust me, the high beams ARE NECESSARY!!! Especially during the day! If you've ever rode your FZ at night you'll very quickly realize you would be better off holding a flashlight with nearly dead batteries to light up the road. Yamaha did not put much thought or effort into the suspension or headlight on this bike. The lens should be able to withstand the high beams indefinitely without melting. Do the warranty claim and get yourself a projector and HID conversion.

Reactions: Dr_R
1 - 20 of 40 Posts