Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ivan’s performance is my go to dyno tuning shop for motorcycles, because of the quality and thoroughness of the tuning he does. This guy designs and produces all of his own tuning components and carb parts, I don’t think there is anyone else in my area that could do a better job. I have ridden many bikes tuned by Ivan including my previous bike, a Suzuki DRZ 400sm. Ivan’s tuning allowed my DRZ to run flawlessly and make great power and I was extremely excited when we discussed tuning my fz09.

My first season on the fz09 consisted of 11,000 miles. I loved the bike, but there was room for much needed improvement, mainly the “twitchy” throttle. I went to Ivan looking for a solution and the results were better than I hoped for.

The ecu flash Ivan developed changed the bike entirely in terms of ride-ability. The throttle response is much sharper and fluid. The jerkiness of the throttle is completely eliminated and the bike rides like it has normal throttle cables. “A” mode is now linear throttle, meaning you twist 20%, the throttle opens 20%. This coupled with how much more smooth the throttle response is completely makes the bike feel different and very easy to control. It is now much easier to control the power delivery while cornering, and it really makes the bike more comfortable to push harder through turns. Also engine breaking has been reduced by a large amount because all fueling issues and injector cut has been virtually eliminated.
The throttle response is very crisp and precise, no more feeling like the throttle was an on/off switch which from personal experience was not comforting when trying to make throttle adjustments while cornering.

I am thrilled with the ecu flash, and didn’t expect to see such great improvements. The most noticeable gains are the smoothness of the throttle, and power. Above 7k rpm all the way to the new redline the bike just doesn’t stop pulling. It pulls much harder in the top end than stock. the bike made 115.8hp and 64.1tq

The bike no longer feels like it runs out of breath at the top of the rev range. A good example, the front tire now lifts at 100+mph at the top of third gear. Second gear wants to do a back flip if you grab too much throttle. I’m not a lightweight either 200+

I have about 1000 miles of riding on the new ecu flash so far, and over the past weekend I was switching back and forth with a friend that has a stock ecu fz09 with a full Akrapovic exhaust. The difference is amazing; they really don’t feel like the same bike. Riding the stock bike, the throttle felt laggy and jumpy, and because of this it upsets the balance of the bike is upset when cornering. With Ivan’s flash that’s eliminated. We also did a few races,2nd and 3rd gear pulls from a roll, and no matter what speed or gear by the end of the gear we started the race, I would put about 2-3 bike lengths between us after about 7k rpm.

After my friend rode my bike flashed, he immediately scheduled to have his bike flashed.

Ivan has 9 months of tuning R&D into this flash, and almost 1 year in file work preparing for the tuning. He uses his own software and hardware interfaces and is not limited by other software’s abilities and the results reflect that. This flash makes the bike run and behave like it should have from the factory. Ivan also removed my O2 sensor because his flash requires that it be disconnected.
The improvements are noticeable as soon as you let out the clutch and touch the throttle. If you’re looking to solve all the running issues with this bike, improve throttle response and ride-ability, gain more power, remove the speed limiter and make the fz09 much more rideable, this flash will not disappoint you

A link to Ivan’s info:
Ivan's Performance Products

Ivan's Performance Products

Mods that are done to my bike:
Two Bros S1R full exhaust
powercommander 5
quickshifter
K&N filter
Ivan’s ecu flash

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
For those that don't know....Ivan is famous in Yamaha circles. He made his own jet kits back in the days of the first R1'S and the first Gen FZ1's. From there he went on to the "ride by wire bikes" and any bike that has a "decell cut" function in the bikes ECU. His reputation is beyond reproach...and I am one of his JET KIT customers. I also know him personally and have ridden with him at the FZ01 rally and the Gap.
You never see me go out of my way to publicly endorse the integrity...character and expertise of a any vendor...but in this case it's well deserved.

I do not have any experience with an Ivan reflash so I can't testify on if it works or not.....but if Ivan put his name on it....it will work as advertised.

·
Registered
654 Posts
+1 on this is exactly how I feel about vcyclenuts flash, feels like a completely different bike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hoping to get the Australian ECU flash within the next year or so, nobody in NZ is doing flashes for the 09 at this point in time sadly.

·
Vendor
1,046 Posts
Isn't the PCV redundant since you have the ECU flash? What is the purpose?

My guess, is that his flash does not perform fuel correction and he used the pcv to perform this. I do not know for sure, but there would be no reason to do fuel control with the ecu and with the pcv.

Ivan's does great work im sure his flash is excelent

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, but for what I saved on your flash, I could almost buy an aftermarket seat. If the PCV is required, then I could almost buy 2 aftermarket seats. Or I could use all that cash I saved to pad my ass!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
reading is fundamental...
Ivan said:
I sometimes choose not to make the final fuel mapping inside the ECU because it is not possible to make changes to your ECU without mailing it back to me. I do adjust most fueling problems inside and try to make the tune 90% for most users... this makes a fuel tuner optional for many of the models that I offer this service for.

Sometimes, I use the Power Commander to make the final fueling changes which works just as good or better than using the ecu. It's not that I am after the small profit of the PC sale, it's that I can update the fueling and e-mail it to my customers if they change something on their bike, or if I make an update to the fueling for product improvement. This way you don't have to send your ecu back to me at your inconvenience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the pcv is not completely necessary, but it does help make minor fuel adjustments and ease of updating maps. I had it prior to the flash because I put an exhaust on right away, I had a year of riding before flashing the bike. Also I have the pc for my quickshifter, that is until ivan finishes his for the flash. most likely, the power commander will be removed once that is done.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Thanks for answering without acting like a feminine hygine product. I appreciate your candor

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but for what I saved on your flash, I could almost buy an aftermarket seat. If the PCV is required, then I could almost buy 2 aftermarket seats. Or I could use all that cash I saved to pad my ass!
in terms of cost id find it hard to believe a flash costing that little could be as effective as ivans. the difference was huge theres no doubt it was worth every penny. there's every bit of $350 in improvements in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Reading is? Or scouring the web is?
LOL, still cant read huh??? there was not a whole lot of scouring involved ...its right in the link in this thread...you know, the one you posted in?

I mean, why comment on the subject if you didn't even read the damn information that was posted?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Wow. You are a peach.

I was more interested in why the OP had it. As it turns out, he is likely removing it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Wow. You are a peach.

I was more interested in why the OP had it. As it turns out, he is likely removing it.

ActuallyI think you were more interested in taking about the Vcycle flash..just like you do in EVERY SINGLE thread where someone is talking about a flash .

I'm sure the Vcycle flash is fine, but I would bet money Ivans is better

1 - 20 of 48 Posts