Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered ... new rider this past season with a Kawi Vulcan 900 V-Twin and that thing is crude and hates to turn (it weighs over 600 lbs) so looking to get an FZ-09 come spring.

Will see if there are any deals on new '14's at that time but anyone try a front fork swap from the European MT-09 model as I hate the gold forks?

Looking to get the grey as shown here:

Europe MT-09:

And what we get :-(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) I suppose you could simply order the outer tubes from Yamaha UK based dealer/supplier, but I imagine it would be easier/cheaper to have the gold ones anodized silver/grey or even powder coated.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are a few guys that have changed the colour of their forks here:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/5200-powder-coating-forks.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/2211-my-build.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1519-finally-no-more-gold-forks.html

Another simple and cheap way, if you can still get them would be to wrap your fork tubes. They use to sell a carbon fibre looking dirt bike fork tube wraps, to help protect the forks. Not sure if they still do, or if you could find something that would fit??? just another idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Just slap an Ohlin sticker on the gold forks and everyone will think you've been modding the bike! :cool:

Seriously, welcome to the forum and see a couple of the ^^^^^ posts on changing the color of the forks tubes. I've got the Rapid Red model and I actually like the gold fork' color......just not the fact that they need some more spring weight and some valving in the internals.

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
welcome - I dig the golf fork (i would prefer it over the euro silver) but i'd take black over either color. As mentioned earlier - the cheap option of the vinyl wrap looks pretty good. One member wrapped his in a carbon fiber wrap - i personally think that looks awesome.

How your bike looks is a completely personal and subjective thing though - good news is - there are lot of options that members have already done so you can pick which fits your style best.

Keep us posted if you get the ride, spring can't come soon enough and we're not even in the thick of winter yet :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Lou, i'm a long time reader here and first time poster as well. Thanks for all the info to all here. Funny to here your story, i'm the exact same. I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom se. Had it for 5 years, put a 23,000kms on it and was ready to move on. Was a good bike but the 5 speed was driving me nuts as well as some other things. I have always had motocross bikes and still own a Yamaha wr250r which I love. I love the riding position etc. and went to a Yamaha test ride to try an fz09 out and it was a done deal. Picked up a 2014 liquid graphite. It's exactly what I wanted, something with powerl, fun, light and cool. Many people don't like the softer suspension but I like it, just my opinion. As for the front forks I love the gold. I've had the headlight recall completed and got the ecu re-flashed at the same time. Very glad I did, much better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Lou, i'm a long time reader here and first time poster as well. Thanks for all the info to all here. Funny to here your story, i'm the exact same. I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 custom se. Had it for 5 years, put a 23,000kms on it and was ready to move on. Was a good bike but the 5 speed was driving me nuts as well as some other things. I have always had motocross bikes and still own a Yamaha wr250r which I love. I love the riding position etc. and went to a Yamaha test ride to try an fz09 out and it was a done deal. Picked up a 2014 liquid graphite. It's exactly what I wanted, something with powerl, fun, light and cool. Many people don't like the softer suspension but I like it, just my opinion. As for the front forks I love the gold. I've had the headlight recall completed and got the ecu re-flashed at the same time. Very glad I did, much better.
Hey someone local ... kinda. :) You lasted much longer than I will with the Vulcan. Ya, just too buzzy of a motor and I took a short ride on the highway to see how it'd fair and I'm afraid to go past 90 kmh as it's just not smooth at all.

Thx for chiming in and hope to hear more from ya!

Btw, what's the headlight recall? Been lurking here for a few days and haven't come across that yet.

Also, would you say the ECU update was worth it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a few guys that have changed the colour of their forks here:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/5200-powder-coating-forks.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/2211-my-build.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1519-finally-no-more-gold-forks.html

Another simple and cheap way, if you can still get them would be to wrap your fork tubes. They use to sell a carbon fibre looking dirt bike fork tube wraps, to help protect the forks. Not sure if they still do, or if you could find something that would fit??? just another idea.
Thx for the links fellow Canuck! Read them all ... good ideas from those & everyone else. Thx guys!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just registered ... new rider this past season with a Kawi Vulcan 900 V-Twin and that thing is crude and hates to turn (it weighs over 600 lbs) so looking to get an FZ-09 come spring.

Will see if there are any deals on new '14's at that time but anyone try a front fork swap from the European MT-09 model as I hate the gold forks?

Looking to get the grey as shown here:

Europe MT-09:

And what we get :-(

Howdy neighbour!
Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of left over 2014s up for grabs. Try Brampton Powersports and Snow City Cycle.
Happy shopping :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey csa888 ... nice to know you're also from Brampton (I smell a mini-meet in the spring). :D

Ya, I've already been to BPS to test-sit on 1 and at 5'7" the balls of my feet are on the floor and the stance is upright, just as I wanted. I'm leaning towards a 2015 at this point but we'll see come spring.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bought mine at bps. Only a month plus until the bike show at the international center - rexdale Blvd and Dixon. Or is it Derry and airport to you Brampton people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Airport & Derry at the International Ctr, yep! Is there much room to take off MSRP on new bikes? I'm guessing $500 is the most??

·
Registered
2 Posts
The headlight recall was a simple fix, apparently the wire harness when turned to one side can come undone. Was a simple fix, didn't have any problems with mine but figured I better get it done. The ecu reflash was not a recall but dealers will provide this if a customer complains about the jerky throttle especally in the std/a modes. Was very cold the day I had mine done so not much time to test but did feel excellent after from the short ride I could fit in.
You will love the bike, keep in touch.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd also go with a 2015 unless the discount on the leftover 2014 was Substantial.

$500 is insulting. :(

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after someone on the Vulcan forums suggested I maybe go with the FZ-07 (being a rider with only several months of experience), I've done extensive online research and think it may be the best bet for me and with an Akrapovic exhaust sounds awesome!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can't go wrong with the 07... tons of fun for sure! Not as much power as the 09, but it's a little lighter. I probably would have bought the 07 if was introduced first. :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So after someone on the Vulcan forums suggested I maybe go with the FZ-07 (being a rider with only several months of experience), I've done extensive online research and think it may be the best bet for me and with an Akrapovic exhaust sounds awesome!!

I think if you ride the FZ09 in "B" Mode for another couple months you'd be glad you stepped up initially with the 09. There's no $1000 Mod to re-claim the missing 48 hp of the 07. The Akra-Carbon on the 09 is icing on the cake.:cool:

Putting fuel cost and purchase price aside, would anyone opt for a 4 cyl if a 6 cyl or V8 was available at no additional cost...??? What man doesn't appreciate LOTS OF POWA....??? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts