Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent my ECU to Vcyclenut today for him to work his magic.

So the scooter will bee down for a while.

Now what to do in the mean time since I wont be able to scratch the 2 wheel itch for a while?

Guess I could spend some time trying to figure out where Vcyclenut got his business name?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sent mine also....
You going with the custom flash?

I'm gonna do the following.

A mode: Quick turn

STD mode: stock A mode

B mode: smooth

Was not interested in the reduced traction mode. So figured I would keep the stock A mode for several reasons.

1. If I need to stretch fuel economy it may help some. 2. It was my favorite stock mode, in fact its the only mode I used. So just in case I am not real happy with the new maps I will always have it to go back to.

3. I can switch back to it to make a comparison with the new maps. Don't know about you but at my age my memory just isn't what it used to bee!

·
Registered
342 Posts
A Mode = quick turn
STD = smooth
B = reduced traction
top speed/quick shift = yes
fans on 205 off 195
yes to the rest
went with carbon map for the ti akra should work pretty good.... cant wait to get it back....ordering my Penske next week hate I have to pull tank off again but o well

·
Registered
216 Posts
A Mode = quick turn
STD = smooth
B = reduced traction
fans on 205 off 195
yes to the rest
went with carbon map for the ti akra should work pretty good.... cant wait to get it back....ordering my Penske next week hate I have to pull tank off again but o well
I'll be interested in hearing how the carbon map works with your Ti. Any chance of a dyno run? You will love the Penske, so far it's the best upgrade I've made on my bike. Nick had it set up almost perfect out of the box. His re-flash runs a close second to the Penske. I adjusted pretty quickly to the snatchy throttle. My other Yamaha (FJR1300) has a fairly snatchy throttle and a lot more weight to contend with. Let us know when you get all back together again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
contacted dyno jet today about the map......their response was the carbon is just a skin its just for looks the pipe will flow the same whether ti or carbon....LMAO!!!!! I was like OK!!!!!! I have talked with several people it should be fine if not ill either get the carbon or just have the ti map loaded...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts

Was not interested in the reduced traction mode. So figured I would keep the stock A mode for several reasons.

1. If I need to stretch fuel economy it may help some. 2. It was my favorite stock mode, in fact its the only mode I used. So just in case I am not real happy with the new maps I will always have it to go back to.

3. I can switch back to it to make a comparison with the new maps. Don't know about you but at my age my memory just isn't what it used to bee!

How will stock A mode stretch your fuel?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Mode = quick turn
STD = smooth
B = reduced traction
fans on 205 off 195
yes to the rest
You don't have to take the tank off to do your shock. I have the RZ6rr and just had it off twice in the last few days. I can take it off in 10 minutes and re-install in 15.

The Penske will be even easier since it does not have the big reservoir hanging off the end of the shock.

Let me know when you get ready to do the install. If you like we can talk and I can describe how to do it. It really is not that hard.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How will stock A mode stretch your fuel?
Talked with a couple of guys on the forum that said their milage was down 2 to 3 mpg after the flash.

David (Vcyclenut) told me the same thing with the new maps.

So I figured that the stock map would still give me a little cushion if I was trying to stretch it to the next gas station.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I don't think it means stock map, I think it means stock response. I think the new fuel map applies to all modes. You are simply selecting the throttle mapping.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quick question if i may...

When you order your "flash"...you need to select and choose these dirrerent modes? What do they all mean? ie quick turn, smooth etc? Can you also select the default mode to start with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just sent mine to him Saturday. He already flashed it, and has it back in the mail. Pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't think it means stock map, I think it means stock response. I think the new fuel map applies to all modes. You are simply selecting the throttle mapping.
+1 to this. There is only one fuel map, 3 throttle/timing maps. After the flash update the only thing that will affect your fuel economy is your wrist. From that point of view, a standard B mode that limits WOT would be safest for fuel economy ;)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm going to choose:

STD = smooth
A = quick turn
B = reduced traction

I won't use B, but the next owner may like having a non full power option. I will only use A :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Quite misleading. LOL... hopefully it doesn't reduce traction ;)

My flash update from Nick is the same as yours. B mode is untouched, A quick turn (default), STD is very linear power delivery. I haven't used B mode since the flash update, but I try to avoid wet weather riding.

I guess B mode is like Flex thrust in the jet

1 - 20 of 43 Posts