Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How lucky we are to have a bike that weighs 417 pounds full of gas. My first new Yamaha was a 1983 XS650 and it weighed 650 pounds. After a bad crash in 1999 I bought a Goldwing to slow me down 904 pounds. My first 100 Hp bike was a 1997 Bandit 1200 530 pounds. In 2003 I got a Z1000 only 460 pounds relatively light but no FZ. I had a good friend that had his own bike shop and when I pulled in on the Bandit he said " What are you doing on that thing? It's a whale! ". His idea that light weight was more important than big power has stuck with me and probably had a lot to do with picking the FZ09. Thanks Chuck rest in peace buddy.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I buy bikes as little over 400 pounds as possible. My first street bike was a '76 Honda CB400F, about 38HP and 400 pounds, lots of fun for 3 years. Then I got a '79 Suzuki GS750, something like 525 pounds, a well reviewed bike but the frames and suspensions of the time were such crap that you were better off with less HP and weight. Then I put a Windjammer on it to go to Maine and Alaska in the same summer. Had some good times on it but when I got home I didn't ride again for 20 years lol. Taught me to buy light.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Back in my flat track racing days I remember something CR Axtel said.

CR was the premier tuner back in the day.

Some how he came up with a formula for weight vs horse power.

It went like this. 7 pounds = 1 horse power.

I think he was responsible for a few plump riders going on a diet.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Now the question is how much weight can be cut from the FZ09. I know some exhaust drop 12lbs. I cant see much else short of custom made wheels.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow a 97 Bandit 1200... That brings back memories for me... That was my first bike when I was 17/18... Bought it with a stage 2 jet kit and a pipe. It definitely was a blast. Thought I was mature enough to handle it. Totaled it within a year. Actually put a hole in someone's door.... Managed to ride it home stuck in 3rd after the accident. Very VERY fortunate. I need to learn how to make full sentences and explain stories better haha... Then I had an R6... Same tragic ending (same ending, different story. Wasn't much of an idiot on that bike).... Hopefully the FZ has a better ending, or no ending at all....

Thread needs pics...

Bent forks/frame/subframe. Motor always fired right up... Had plans to make a go kart but not funds. Sold everything for a bit of $.

Bought the R6 from a guy at worked and literally fell in love for the 1st time.

Did a lot over winter (full exhaust custom tune yadda yadda)...

Vowed to always be responsible and wear gear and treat a bike with respect. Loved that bike so much after all the time I spent working on it.

Then this happened...

Spent a week in the hospital. Broke some bones. Needed surgery. Girlfriend and mom had to wipe my ass for 4 months. Sucked. Was going around a turn, and hit some loose gravel. Saved it, but in the other lane. A vehicle was coming at me so I swerved and skidded into some kind of bridge thing...

After a few months of moping around I saw the FZ09 and i fell in love again Lol.

Sorry about the long elaborate story.

So it makes sense with the thread and your first post, I agree the Bandit was a whale.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good story. Great pics. Sorry about the bikes. My Bandit was blue. My accident maybe not as bad. Dislocated my shoulder and ripped my collarbone out of my chest. My wife ( who's fault it was ) endo'd her ZX9R five times and had to have her ankle put back together with plates and screws. I thought the Goldwing would slow me down but I couldn't take it and bought a CBR600F4i a few years later. Hope you have better luck with your FZ!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Back in my flat track racing days I remember something CR Axtel said.
CR was the premier tuner back in the day.
Some how he came up with a formula for weight vs horse power.

It went like this. 7 pounds = 1 horse power.
I think he was responsible for a few plump riders going on a diet.
I think the number depends on where you are starting from. For my riding weight on a stock 09 it would be something like:

(415 pounds + 170 pounds) / 105 wheel HP = 5.57

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thus the reason why I used to tear people up on my RD350-400 Yamahas. It would piss off the GS and KZ owners. My GPz, Hurricane, and VFR were all big fat beasts.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quit picking on the Bandits! I've owned two. Loved them both. But the lure of loosing almost a 140lbs of weight brought me to the FZ-09. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

a pic with my Max.

Reactions: onthemove

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now the question is how much weight can be cut from the FZ09. I know some exhaust drop 12lbs. I cant see much else short of custom made wheels.
depends on how crazy you are willing to go... you can:

Remove all unescessary components, horns, lights, moldings, trim, plastics under the seat.
Then the fun starts....

You can take the engine apart and rebuild it using magnesium parts to shed even more weight. Carbon fiber wheels and composite suspension units can shed a bit too.
Replace every nut and bolt on it with aluminum or magnesium alloy parts. every gram counts.

When we were kids racing, wed go running in a sweat-suit before the race t shed water-weight. Similar to boxers when they go to weigh in. Worked for short races, though long races, hydration was more important.

·
Registered
263 Posts
depends on how crazy you are willing to go... you can:

Remove all unescessary components, horns, lights, moldings, trim, plastics under the seat.
Then the fun starts....

You can take the engine apart and rebuild it using magnesium parts to shed even more weight. Carbon fiber wheels and composite suspension units can shed a bit too.
Replace every nut and bolt on it with aluminum or magnesium alloy parts. every gram counts.

When we were kids racing, wed go running in a sweat-suit before the race t shed water-weight. Similar to boxers when they go to weigh in. Worked for short races, though long races, hydration was more important.
I think the furthest I would go is aftermarket exhaust and carbon fiber wheels. That should be good for approx 24lbs I'm guessing. I don't know what the current wheel set weighs. I'll weigh them when I change tires which is a long ways out from now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts