Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...i just hope i can get one

Been looking at a replacment for a while now, for a vulcan900 ive had for about 2 years. Salesperson pointed the 09 out to me, told me a little about it, and said it was a demo so any time id like to come back and test it out would be welcome. weather-related issues prevented me from riding it for about another week. As soon as i did, though, i was smitten

A little backstory....my first bike was an 05 gixxer 600. Very fun, very fast, and very not commuter friendly. I had gotten it as a coming home gift to myself (as does every other military member coming home with that huge chunk of deployment cash). Trust me, i had my fun with it. But after i was done and got back in civilian life it became more of a commuter. And just like that it became unmanageable under normal riding conditions

Now, i was never one to take normal twisty backroads at full lean. The only time i tried dragging was in an empty mall parking lot with no loose gravel or light poles. Other than that i was always too wary of gravely turns,, blind corners, other traffic, etc. I also grew very tired of the low slung forward position you get from ss' as it is very uncomfortable for me

So i got rid of it in 08 in order to help get the car i really wanted, and that was that. Forward to spring of 2012 i got another bike. This time i decided to go the commuter friendly route, so i got a leftover '11 vn900. Got some bags for it and have been riding that since

But, ever since i hopped on the vulcan ive had that yearning for power, and its only gotten worse over time. With only 58 ftlb on something totalling nearly 900lbs loaded up, its not the most fun thing ever. And with only 5 speeds, anything above 50mph feels like im overworking the engine

Ill put it like this.....the normal car i drive is a hyundai elantra. The vulcan is like a convertable hyundai elantra. Get it?

I recently tested a harley fat bob, too. Loads of power, felt nimble enough (although its still >600 lbs). Had a nice enough sitting arrangement....but it had the good ol fashioned rubber engine mounted vibration. Oh god i would hate that in traffic

As bad as everyone says the suspension is on the 09, its probably the best for me in terms of comfort. As far as having power back like i did in my old gixxer, this would improve upon it. And i might actually get some enjoyment out of riding again

So there it is....i want the fz09. Ive got to do some financial rearrangement but i think i can manage. I only have a few questions for you owners out there.

First off, does the mode always start in "A" after startup, or is it wherever it was last set?

Secondly, and more important, i got rid of my old front and rear stands i had for the gixxer. I now have a craftsman motorcycle lift that pretty much assumes youll lift from the frame. To me it looks like the lowest part of the fz is all exhaust. Im gonna guess i cant use my lift on this bike, unless anyone else can vouch for the strength of the exhaust piping

I hope to stay a part of this forum, as im fiarly tech savvy and enjoy tinkering. My plan is to purchase by the summer, so ill at least keep trolling around here until then. I REALLY hope i can get this bike! Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The bike starts out in Standard mode. The bike is awesome. You won't be disappointed. I can't believe I wasted my time on a Harley before this. You'll love the bike. Welcome and thanks for your service!

·
Registered
186 Posts
It starts in STD. One push will give you A Then B. It's a great bike.

Thanks for your service buddy. Doc will be around if you have any more questions :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome, oaklandopen. As Jen and FZ9Bandit mentioned, thank you for your service. For the FZ-09, I recommend getting front and rear stands and not attempt using the lift. As good as the FZ-09 seems on the first day, it gets better afterward. I doubt you will regret an FZ-09 purchase and will probably be thrilled with the choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me, i wanted to love the harleys....but the stigma prevailed. I may go back and try a nightrod (since they are so willing to let ppl test their bikes out). But those are nearly twice as much in terms of cost to the fz09, and im sure no where near as nimble

I want this bike so bad, but ive got to be able to get it without a lien, so it may take all summer

Thanks for the mode info. Id rather it stay in the last setting before shutoff, but i guess thats not too bad of a quirk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thank's

Im really excited about the bike, i really want things to work out so i can get off the vulcan. I have no desire in altering the bike, except for perhaps a battery tender and mayyyybe some sort of storage device. Im going to have to use a backpack initially, but ill search for whatever else there is. Saddlebags are definately a nice thing to have, and come in handy too often, but wouldnt work on the 09. And im not interested in tank bags

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Saddlebags are definately a nice thing to have, and come in handy too often, but wouldnt work on the 09. And im not interested in tank bags
Not sure what you mean here.
Saddlebags will most certainly work on the Niner. I've seen a handful of posts with people outfitting their bike with saddlebags.

Personally I'm waiting for the SW Motech rear rack to hit US soil sometime this month so I can throw a 42L top case on there for when I need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really only meant in terms of looks. It's easy enough to throw some leather bags on a cruiser, but I'd hand to be more thoughtful with the 09. Maybe if a set pops out at me I'd get them, but I'll stick with a backpack till then

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://s19.postimg.cc/p1leny56b/239836_R1_21_4.jpg
screenshot program windows

This was the old gixxer. Hard to tell by the overcast pic but I painted it in indigo ink pearl to match the Tacoma I had at the time. I always liked the truck and bike color matching so I did it myself

http://s19.postimg.cc/jep1qh2nn/IMAG0620.jpg
free upload

Here is the current Vulcan I hope to replace

The other unfortunate thing is I am also an avid camper, but with a non-toyhauler fifth wheel. So basically I can't really take the bike with me wherever we go for vacation, which I really want to do. I'd love to take a bike with me to the dragon or a route 66 trip and anything like that. I just hope I can get an opportunity to do that stuff before I become an old fart and start looking at goldwings lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts