Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I did my 600 mile oil change, I installed a PL4610 filter (members on here said it was compatible and have had no issues with it).

This is not my first rodeo- oiled the new oil filters gasket, cleaned the mating surface, ensured the old gasket was gone, hand tightened and a little less than a 1/4 turn with the wrench. Filled, ran for a bit, waited and topped off, ran some more- looked good to go no drips/leaks. Rode it for about 20 min and put it up for the night.
Next morning there is a puddle of oil under her, dripping from filter. So cleaned it up, wrenched filter a tiny bit more, topped off and rode. Next day puddle again. Had extra filter, another PL14610, so swapped them out (figured possibly first one had bad gasket) but am having same issue. Looking at getting a different manufacturers or OEM filter and see if they work.

Did I just get a bad batch and has anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try tightening it a bit more. i turn the oil filter 1/2 turn past where the gasket touches metal and haven't had any leaking issues.
That was the last thing I tried with the first one and just ended up warping it, still leaked ( and was a biotch to remove, it was on tight) and thus I put on the other one.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Someone else had this issue and if I remember correctly, it had something to do with the threads not allowing the filter to tighten all the way.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
interesting about the threads.

whirlwind, if you still have one of those filters on hand, can you post a clear photo of the entire bottom of the filter? (preferably at an oblique angle so we can see the depth of the threads)

fwiw, the purolator filter i've used in the past with no issues was the pl14612. it's the shorter version of the pl14610 but it's possible the base plate is different in some way, causing issues with tightening.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting about the threads.

whirlwind, if you still have one of those filters on hand, can you post a clear photo of the entire bottom of the filter? (preferably at an oblique angle so we can see the depth of the threads)

fwiw, the purolator filter i've used in the past with no issues was the pl14612. it's the shorter version of the pl14610 but it's possible the base plate is different in some way, causing issues with tightening.
My bad it is the PL14612 I used not the PL14610.
Here are the pics of the used filters and one of a new one.
View attachment 17738 View attachment 17739 View attachment 17740 View attachment 17741

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i can't tell for certain from those photos, but it looks a little different than the 14612 i have (purchased about a year ago):

the base plate on yours looks convex (raised up in the center) rather than going down like mine (and the stock filter). if this is the case, it could be the raised central part on yours is keeping you from tightening the filter correctly. see if you can return the filter(s) to the place of purchase. you can tell them that purolator changed the design of the filter causing installation issues.

i'm currently running a fram xg6607 - no problems and it's one of the best filters money can buy. maybe you can get one or two in exchange.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i can't tell for certain from those photos, but it looks a little different than the 14612 i have (purchased about a year ago):

the base plate on yours looks convex (raised up in the center) rather than going down like mine (and the stock filter). if this is the case, it could be the raised central part on yours is keeping you from tightening the filter correctly. see if you can return the filter(s) to the place of purchase. you can tell them that purolator changed the design of the filter causing installation issues.

i'm currently running a fram xg6607 - no problems and it's one of the best filters money can buy. maybe you can get one or two in exchange.
Yep, that appears to be the culprit- WTF Purolator- same number but it is obvious they changed the specs or some one was asleep on the assembly line as all three I purchased are like this..
The Fram XG was my next stop.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, notice that inner threaded plate is convex on the new filter, and concave on the old? You can't tighten the filter because that plate is bulging out, instead of recessed.

Mystery solved
look at the filter on the right of the first pic. You can see scratches where the threaded plate was contacting the oil filter housing on the bike. Good Catch!

Reactions: Whirlwind

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Get a K&N and be done with it..:)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, that appears to be the culprit- WTF Purolator- same number but it is obvious they changed the specs or some one was asleep on the assembly line as all three I purchased are like this..
changes in design aren't unusual, as long as they work correctly for the intended application. purolator never specified this filter to be used on motorcycles - it just happened to work in the past - so the fault is really ours, not theirs.

The Fram XG was my next stop.
as long as it looks like this, it'll work:

p.s. if you've got one of those fixed-size oil filter wrenches (like a cap-type one that has a socket on it) that fits the oem filter perfectly, it won't work on the fram xg - it's just slightly larger in diameter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Purolator changed the thread plate on these to get more threads on the cars there made for. They sent me a letter about it after I asked. Left a nice puddle in my shop floor.

Reactions: Whirlwind

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
changes in design aren't unusual, as long as they work correctly for the intended application. purolator never specified this filter to be used on motorcycles - it just happened to work in the past - so the fault is really ours, not theirs.
as a matter of fact, I think they say NOT to use it on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
657 Posts
as a matter of fact, I think they say NOT to use it on a motorcycle.
Well sure .. they have to say that to remove liability on their end. But these are great filters for bikes, I have used many in the past, and if it weren't for the design change, would continue using them. Just like Rotella T6 is a synthetic diesel oil - not for bikes - but it happens to work exceptionally well in sport bike engines.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Well sure .. they have to say that to remove liability on their end. But these are great filters for bikes, I have used many in the past, and if it weren't for the design change, would continue using them. Just like Rotella T6 is a synthetic diesel oil - not for bikes - but it happens to work exceptionally well in sport bike engines.
Impossible! T6 doesn't have a picture of a bike on the bottle,how can it be good for a motorcycle?

·
Registered
673 Posts
What's wrong with getting oil filters from a bike shop or an online motorcycle parts website ? How much money do you save putting an ugly automotive filter on your bike ?
I like how people have "opinions" and "experience" with certain filters. Have you done any actual research or clinical testing to prove one is better than the other ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts