Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all, I've a 15 MT09, 38000k's (23000 miles) and lately the issue has been, only in 4th gear, what feels like the ignition cutting out (like lifting the quick shifter not quite far enough to change gear) or something in the gearbox not engaging fully and dropping in and out while coasting then accelerating. It does not drop out of gear, and changes gear up and down without noticable problems.
I have disconnected the quick shifter and the issue still exists.
I found the clutch basket cracked and one fibre disk in pieces. Second one out from the inner of the basket.
These have both been replaced and the issue is still present, only in 4th gear. All other clutch components are within factory specs.
Oil and filter have been changed and no visible metal particles detected.
Chain and sprockets are are within wear limits and correctly adjusted.

Short of removing the gearbox, stripping and inspecting it, has anyone got any suggestions or experienced a similar problem??

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,505 Posts
I would say its not the oil, but how its ridden !!
Agree - are you doing clutch-up wheelies in 4th gear a lot? I've read about the clutch basket cracking if you do a lot of clutch-up wheelies. Never heard of anyone having gear-wear issues. Do you have any pictures of the wear on the gears? Maybe you got unlucky and somehow your set wasn't hardened properly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree - are you doing clutch-up wheelies in 4th gear a lot? I've read about the clutch basket cracking if you do a lot of clutch-up wheelies. Never heard of anyone having gear-wear issues. Do you have any pictures of the wear on the gears? Maybe you got unlucky and somehow your set wasn't hardened properly?
No clutch up wheelies in 4th, 2nd and sometimes in 3rd... Was finding false neutral occasionally into 4th with the quick shifter, so that may have been part of the cause??

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I was about to ask if you had a quick shifter, and bingo. The false neutral was the dogs not fully engaging.
Is it OE or aftermarket?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
An incorrectly set up QS will kill a gearbox, as you've discovered.
One reason I haven't bothered with them. I use the QS and blipping system God gave me.

Reactions: abe57 and Benno_9

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing the pictures.
That looks gnarly.

Do you happen to have the settings of the QS by chance? I wonder how they compare to others.

·
Registered
302 Posts
No settings as such, it was set up to the same length as the original shift linkage.
Shit man sorry to see that. what were the ignition kill timings? Too short can cause power to come back on before the dogs engage fully and mess it up like that.
But also, if the gearbox was prone to false neutrals even before the qs was installed, it already had problems but the qs makes it much much worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shit man sorry to see that. what were the ignition kill timings? Too short can cause power to come back on before the dogs engage fully and mess it up like that.
But also, if the gearbox was prone to false neutrals even before the qs was installed, it already had problems but the qs makes it much much worse.
I believe the ignition kill is 20 miliseconds, and prior to the fitment of the qs, there was no known or felt issues.
Probably travelled around 15000k's before false neutrals started to appear and it went downhill from there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.