Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to install protaper bars on my bike and I'm having an issue with the knurled side. I tried smoothing the knurling down a bit with a dremel, rounding the edges at the end of the bar, and prying the clutch lever holder thing that slips on the the bars apart with a screwdriver and nothing has worked. I somewhat bent it out of shape prying it apart with a screwdriver but managed to get it back nearly how it was with some pliers. Any tips from people who have done this already?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I filed the knurled part down with a flat file for about 5 minutes all around the bar. I took a small flat screwdriver and inserted into tab on clutch mount to pry open the tab more and voila. Slid right on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filed the knurled part down with a flat file for about 5 minutes all around the bar. I took a small flat screwdriver and inserted into tab on clutch mount to pry open the tab more and voila. Slid right on.
I'll give that a shot, thanks man.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Don't keep prying it or it will break. Cheap metal. Only needed to pry it with something fatter like a tire tool just enough as you are slipping it on the bar. That way it won't bend out of shape.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't keep prying it or it will break. Cheap metal. Only needed to pry it with something fatter like a tire tool just enough as you are slipping it on the bar. That way it won't bend out of shape.
Yeah, I saw Marthy's post about that and used pliers to get it (nearly) back to normal shape, definitely didn't want to break it. Such a stupid design though, they really should have gone with a two piece and some screws.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If memory serves, I used some emory clothe to take the peaks off of the knurling and was able to lightly open up the clutch bracket to get it over. Emory clothe lets you iuse it like a shoe-shine rag which for me was fairly quick, and worked pretty evenly. Then I ended up removing the bars as I didn't like the increased width...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I removed an inch on either side to keep it the same width as OEM

·
Registered
123 Posts
The increased width makes it great for mounting bar end mirrors. (You don't need a mount, just slid your grips in slightly, and clamp the mirrors to the bar ends, where they meet up with the bars. (And you will have to thread your bars to use the stock bar end weights, but it's the right size hole, you just need the right tap, 15mm x1.5 if I remember correctly, but check that first before you cut any threads, it's been awhile since I did it on my FZ1 and ProTapers.)

I cut down that set by 1/2 inch per side, and then wished I had not.

Also thinking of adding bash bars to this setup, make the FZ09 really look like a misplaced ADV bike or big SM. (The FZ1 setup that way was fun indeed.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts