Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have to admit when I bought the bike I mentioned to the sales rep that it seemed like the forks were sticking about mid stroke. He thought is was normal for the bike but we all know sales reps are liars. Anyhow, I figured it was something that might break in after a couple hundred miles but alas it has not. So I'm just wondering is this normal with these cheap forks? I've owned a lot of bikes and never had one with forks that would stick or feel like they were sticking through the stroke. Is this just one of the issues that come with these poorly built forks, or is there something really wrong with my forks?

·
Registered
768 Posts
There's a possibility the forks aren't parallel. It's easy and free to fix, if so.
Loosen axle pinch bolt (right fork leg end) , sit on the bike and pump the front end with the handlebars several times as hard as you can then retighten the pinch bolt again.
If it helps, you're good to go. If not, it's one thing eliminated.
Also, visually look and see of the front end is "straight", as in the wheel is pointed straight when the bars are, too. There's a chance the forks are twisted in the triple clamps a hair.
Loosening the lower clamp bolts a *little* and then placing the wheel against a fixed object (corner of your house, shed, door frame, etc...) and giving things a shove might help.
Retighten and check, etc...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you referring to the pinch bolts on the axle or upper/lower triple?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
My forks have been super critical with "sticktion".
I have Race Tech springs and a Gold Valve that have merely "put lipstick on a pig". They're way better than stock only if I pay close attention to the "tip" offered in the service manual. Be sure the outer fork and axle are flush as shown. Just a little bit makes a big difference. These forks really need all the help they can get!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried all those tricks and it still seems like it's sticking about mid stroke.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you referring to the pinch bolts on the axle or upper/lower triple?
I worded that weird originally. Meant to say axle pinch bolt.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If the lower triple clamp pinch bolts are overtorqued it can cause this...

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you can't get it fixed, and it is still under warranty you might consider riding to the dealership and showing them a floor model that has a smooth front fork and then what yours is doing. Tell them it has always done that, what the sales rep said to get your money and have them deal with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks hr1nut!

I'll go take a look at those, I don't think that's the issue but it's worth at least looking at.. I'm going to try a take a quick vid of what I'm seeing/hearing and post that up as well. Might help in explaining the issue I'm having..

Thanks all!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here is a vid of the forks with the noise that I'm referring to. You will need speakers turned up pretty loud.

Not only is there a noise but you can actually feel something catching or hanging up in the legs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sounds like they need an internal inspection as you have something gone wrong inside. Any fork/shock shop can repair them. If you go that route you may want to consider upgrading the internal cartridges to a performance suspension to increase the ride quality.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you talking about the little clunking noise? Try pushing up and down on the forks without holding the front brake, and see if the noise goes away. The brake rotor buttons shift ever so slightly as the rotor moves, making a clunk like that which is completely normal. Look for smooth operation without applying the front brake.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you talking about the little clunking noise? Try pushing up and down on the forks without holding the front brake, and see if the noise goes away. The brake rotor buttons shift ever so slightly as the rotor moves, making a clunk like that which is completely normal. Look for smooth operation without applying the front brake.
Bingo, this was it. What I strongly suspected was the forks was actually noise coming from the caliper. I feel dumb now.. lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hmm, so its not "sticking" at all?

PS i love the video how you're trying to capture a quiet noise and a big truck goes by I heard what sound like the start of "son of a..." lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm, so its not "sticking" at all?

PS i love the video how you're trying to capture a quiet noise and a big truck goes by I heard what sound like the start of "son of a..." lol
LOL, how perceptive of you and yes it was about to come out but my son was holding the cam.....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is a new bike, take it back to the dealer and complain.

Forks no matter how cheap should not bind up or make noises mid stroke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts