Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Chrome for browser. Large pictures are automatically shrunk to size for optimum viewing pleasure with a bar across the top saying the image has been resized. Previously clicking that bar would open up the photo in another window, full sized. Now when I click that bar, the picture automatically downloads to my computer. I really don't need to be downloading these pictures just to view it in it's original size. What happened?

·
Registered
320 Posts
It opens in a tab for me, like it always did. Have you tried it on another user account to see if it is a setting in chrome? This is the only thing I see online regarding that issue:

The web server is probably serving the image using the image/x-png MIME type. Chrome does not recognise this as an image (as of August 2012 February 2013), hence offers the file as a download.

image/x-png is a legacy MIME type from the days before it got its official name, image/png, in 1996. However, when Internet Explorer uploads an image it does so using image/x-png "for backward compatibility". I believe this was the case up to IE8, and was "fixed" in IE9. If the web server does not correctly handle this (the web server should detect this non-standard MIME type and treat it as image/png), then it may serve up the client-provided MIME type to other users, including to Google Chrome. Additionally, some web sites will serve up all PNGs as image/x-png.

If you're the web developer you should detect incoming image/x-png and treat it as image-png (never serve up image/x-png).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if it has to do with the source of the image file ie. where it is hot linked from. Example, check out THIS POST. What happens when you click the bar at the top of the image? For me it straight downloads the image to my chrome downloads folder without any prompts.

Now look below at the keyboard in my signature. Clicking that bar opens the full size image in a new tab...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I think I just answered my own question. It appears that it is dependent on where the image file is hosted. For example, the image in Post #1885 is hosted by tapatalk.com. The image URL prompts a download of said image, even when copy and pasting into the address bar. Post #1886, however uses a different host for the hotlink of the image (dropbox). SO when clicking THAT bar, it opens in a new window.

Weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts