Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got around to installing an 09 Zx10r shock. From what I've read, people are mounting them towards the tank, with the reservoir facing in either the up or down position. I opted to face it down to avoid having to trim the plastic under the seat and make access to the adjusters easier. I didn't see any other users mention this, but when I bounce on the seat the reservoir makes light contact with the bolt right underneath it. I believe this bolt secures possibly the speed sensor in the tranny? See photo below. It clears everything else including the starter. Has anyone else had this issue? I may just file the bolt down on the edge unless people have found this to be an issue when mounting the reservoir down. Thanks all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
whats wrong with trimming the plastic? i'd rather cut off that 2$ plastic part instead of trimming that bolt and have a heated reservoir due to the temperatures of the engine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a problem trimming the plastic and can flip it easily. But the adjusters are easier to access with the resovoir down and I don't have to cut anything. I was just under the impression that people have run them both ways with no issues. So am I the first to run into this problem?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is your bike, hack it up as you wish to do.

Hacking up a plastic bit is one thing, hacking up something more substantial, should be carefully considered.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think filing the corning of a bolt is considered "hacking up a bike". Ide appreciate some information from someone who has mounted the resovoir in the down position to chime in rather than the other two guys offering no insight whatsoever into whether its actually a problem. It's been done by many others this way so ide like to hear from them.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I mention hacking up the bike because that is what it is.

If I go looking at a used bike and someone has hacked it up in either of the ways you describe, I presume they don't care about their bike and have hacked it up in numerous other ways and failed to maintain it properly because they had so little concern for how it was hacked up.

This observation is built up from 40+ years of riding and working on my motorcycles and countless friend's bikes that come to me because the previous owner did a amateur hack job of something...

For the most part, modifications and upgrades devalue the bike for many reasons. This is why it is important to keep the stock parts so you can put the bike back to stock when you decide to sell it.

It is your bike, you hack it up as you choose, I am simply offering the wisdom of experience and suggest you consider very carefully what you are doing to the bike and the devaluing of the bike in the mind of just about everyone that would consider buying a used FZ09 in the future.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can always replace the bolt with one with a lower profile head, perhaps a flat phillips screw head. Perhaps you can also consider grinding a little off the shock too. I will probably be installing my zx10 shock in a few days so I'll let you know what I observe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FYI. I installed mine with the reservoir facing down and there are no issues. Nothing touches and nothing needs to be filed, hacked, adjusted or otherwise modified. I repainted mine prior to installation so I would know if anything was touching.

Also I ride in a tropical environment where the daytime temps are seldom below 30 degrees Celsius all year round. There are no issues related to overheating also. I've been riding with it for over 6 months now.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
962 Posts
You can replace the bolt with a flush allen head bolt - but if it's touching with you bouncing on it then it isn't going to be enough to be safe. I'd recommend flipping the shock, because if you're carrying a passenger and hit a piece of debris or pothole - it could mean the difference between a hard jarring or going down hard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Rado and Justwantoride, that was the kind of answer I was hoping to get. Not a lecture on how filing the corner of a screw is destroying the value of my bike. I ended up flipping it resovoir up for now and trimming the plastic. But like I stated you can't access the adjusters without pivoting the tank up which is a pain for quick adjustments. Ill keep it like this for the moment and if I remove it for whatever reason I'll flip it resovoir down and put a low profile bolt in. The short ride I made on it today already feels leaps and bounds better than stock. Glad I finally did this mod.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps it would be best to replace the bolt and grind down the reservoir a bit to be safe.

File away dude, you can always buy a new bolt for $1 later :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I ended up flipping it resovoir up for now and trimming the plastic. But like I stated you can't access the adjusters without pivoting the tank up which is a pain for quick adjustments.
Thank you very much for the info. If I put the shock in facing up then I will have to remove the seat to adjust it, and that will be a big ordeal for me since Cecil's box is bolted down in several places over the seat. I will try to get mine in upside down and see how it goes. I'm glad that you like the handling of the shock :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hit that sucker with a dye grinder, no biggy... I would prefer keeping canister away from heat but that's just me, others have faced it down with no complaints I believe...could also look for the same stud with a lower profile head if you wanted to as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
+100, trim the plastic.

Once you remove the plugs from the plastic you'll be cutting, you can lift the tray upwards. There's a main harness running down the right side that has 2" slack and a thin set of wires on the left (heavy gauge to the starter & solenoid). Work these wires under the tray, slide the tray up & use a hacksaw from the side of the tray.

I didn't want to cut the tray either, but it took all of 2 seconds to cut perfectly. Changing that bolt, filing, etc will take way more time.

The other members are right, you don't want that reservoir near any heat. Shock gets hot enough when you're pushing the pace.

Reactions: bobZ

·
Registered
276 Posts
^ +1. After I saw how tight it was to the engine I trimmed the plastic and put it in right side up. The shock fits very well right side up with no clearance issues whatsoever. The zx10r shock is awesome, between that and the increase in fork oil weight the bike is much more planted.

Trimming the end off the tray is simple. I just moved the end plug connector out of the way, then I cut the tray using a metal cutting jigsaw blade locked into a set of vice grips. I did not need to lift the tray to cut it.Then I used a file to smooth out the edge where I cut it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As i also said, the engine will heat up the internals of the shock. After around an hour driving around i noticed a stamping rear wheel and a change in behaviour of the rear shock. thats when i turned my shock around with the reservoir facing up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts