Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening.
I'm in Korea. rode MT-09A today.
now my MT-09 trips is 442miles. (712km)

check this photo.
is this an oil leak? (I'm sure that)
right side on engine. cam chain side.

is anybody have same problems?

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive engine part

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sure looks like it to me! That's the first leak I've seen at the head gasket. Someone else posted pics of the valve cover leaking a month or so ago. I haven't heard of any other leaks beside these two. Mine doesn't seem to leak after 1000 miles.

I'd take it into the dealer.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that post. (another oil leak)
but mine doesn't leak head gasket.
only cylinder gasket. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Padgett,
mine is same leak like your fz-09.

engine right side camchain cover, and rear of engine.(like your photos)

How about your oil leak progress?
I hope this is a temporary phenomenon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oil leak - cylinder head gasket
exhaust gasket
spark plug cap

mine is obviously defective :crybaby2:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you taken it to the dealer? You have a warranty right? They should fix it! Obviously assembled incorrectly. Good luck!

Daniel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the leaking still visible? Any resolution?
yes. it's still leaking.
I visited the dealer.
dealer says ride 600miles more. and re-checking.

I hope stop the leak. (manufacturing gasket adhesive leak)
I feel bad for the brand new engine repair.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yikes... I noticed the same with mine. I was told that zinc is added to the break in oil that Yamaha uses in all new bikes. I was also told zinc was added to help to seal any leaks and/or gaps in the engines internal components. If this is true then running the break in oil for the entire 600 miles could possibly make a difference and stop some of the seeping.?. Yet the manual states change the break in oil at 600 miles OR 1 month. ?.
A year or so a go I bought a Yamaha 6r from a young girl. She bought the bike new in 09 rode it 324 miles dropped it on her foot in her driveway then pushed it in her garage and left it sitting for nearly 3 years with the break in oil still in it. She started it once a month... she said..... anyhow I changed all the fluids...etc... and it proved to be one of the best running bikes I've ever owned... Go figure.... keep us informed on your leak and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow my dealer told me they change that fluid out before the bike leaves on day one. It's a standard part of dealer prep.

If your dealer looks at a bike leaking visibly at the head gasket in more than one place and tells you to ride it more to fix it IMHO it's time to consider another dealer fr your service needs going forward.

If my dealer told me that I'd let him know that I was really disappointed with his answer and that i was going to get a second opinion and that I was on the forums discussing his level of service. In other words his answer would have been unacceptable to me. I'm not sure how the social interaction works in your country so maybe this isn't helpful.

Anyway I hope they take care of it for you.

Daniel

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes... I noticed the same with mine. I was told that zinc is added to the break in oil that Yamaha uses in all new bikes. I was also told zinc was added to help to seal any leaks and/or gaps in the engines internal components. If this is true then running the break in oil for the entire 600 miles could possibly make a difference and stop some of the seeping.?. Yet the manual states change the break in oil at 600 miles OR 1 month. ?.
A year or so a go I bought a Yamaha 6r from a young girl. She bought the bike new in 09 rode it 324 miles dropped it on her foot in her driveway then pushed it in her garage and left it sitting for nearly 3 years with the break in oil still in it. She started it once a month... she said..... anyhow I changed all the fluids...etc... and it proved to be one of the best running bikes I've ever owned... Go figure.... keep us informed on your leak and I'll do the same.
I don't think that the break-in stock engine oils happened.
check this link - New Motorcycle Check list, Break in

but strangely, 150 miles when replacing the engine oil started to leaking. (AMSOIL MCF 10W40 with genuine oil filter)
I'll be leaving tomorrow to travel 300miles.
I'll let the results report.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mine did this, but has stopped after 900 miles. clean the area off as best as you can with a rag and wd-40.. keep riding it, it might come back a little less. After I cleaned it the 2nd time it hasnt come back.

Yamaha told me its normal, its various greases used during the engine assembly. If it doesn't go away after 1k miles, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine did this, but has stopped after 900 miles. clean the area off as best as you can with a rag and wd-40.. keep riding it, it might come back a little less. After I cleaned it the 2nd time it hasnt come back.

Yamaha told me its normal, its various greases used during the engine assembly. If it doesn't go away after 1k miles, take it to the dealer.
Awesome info... Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
mine has this to only rode it for one day 60 km and is now packed away for winter it is not leaking but has a little stain along the gasket area back of motor behind the cam chain tensioner talked to a tech and he said is normal gasket seating in with heat cycles and some parts and packing greases just enough for the dust to stick and make it visible should go away with some more heat cycles and some more miles watch it should go away by first service aka ride it and keep an eye on it seeping weeping or tears of boredom from not being rode enough my last bike was a Yamaha 1700 Warrior and had the same thing till she got broke in good and and everything sealed up never had any problems after that the FZ will have to wait for spring now then i will put the miles on her....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts