Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This seems like a misfire condition to me. My bike only has 300+ miles on it and I believe it has done this from the beginning.

Is this a potential problem and cause for lack of performance or is it normal? I might be picking my bike apart, but I have been having very different performance "like easy" wheelies and accidental wheelies. Any wheelies other than 1st gear have to be intentional.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Seems normal to me. I am viewing it from my phone. Can you describe the issue?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine, I believe it is due to the O2 sensor leaning out at idle or cruise conditions. I could be totally wrong though. But either way still sounds exactly like mine. Mine even has these little hiccups at cruising speed........a surging. But am not worried at all becasue as soon as you give it gas...........it just gets up and totally boogies.

Wheelies.

1st gear it will do it all by itself. You can just even look at the bike sideways and it will do it.

I have to intentionally make it pop wheelies in any other gear. Rolling on throttle quickly in 2nd at about 6k rpm will also lift the front and will keep it there until redline. I can give it full throttle at 3k rpm......and the bike will do nothing except go straight with a little bit of lightness on the front. 3k rpm more and its a whole different story.

So sounds very similar to what you have described.

I think you may be a little over critical of your new bike. Stress less, ride more!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Doesn't seem to be an issue unless you notice power loss at a certain rpm or anything. Assume you're using the 91 octane gas as stated in the manual right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Normal noise and running they all do that......It's a "feature"

Reactions: andy8199

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't hear anything odd about that either. Are you used to 4 cylinder engines? Maybe that's the "misfire" you're hearing ;)

I wonder if maybe the sound of the weird stock exhaust is creating the illusion of a misfire. The stock exhaust sounds awful at lower RPMs, especially with no load.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, for all the replies. I'm probably paranoid/obsessing about my new bike:( Even my wife is ready to strangle me over this stuff. The 09 is my first brand new bike and the most I have ever paid too. I did a serious wheelie tryout last night (cautiously) 1st is a given, no matter what. 2nd on a flat is around 7k rpm and crack the throttle and the front comes right up. I even tried 3rd cresting a hill and it came up with a little effort. Is what I stated sound perfectly normal?????? Are the differences of what I am experiencing and what I have read about simply riding style, body weight and position. As in someone that weighs 30+50lbs more than me maybe able to wheelie 2nd at 4-5k rpm vs. my 6,500-7,000 rpm????

·
Registered
128 Posts
But either way still sounds exactly like mine. Mine even has these little hiccups at cruising speed........a surging. But am not worried at all because as soon as you give it gas...........it just gets up and totally boogies.
Sounds like mine as well and this surging as mentioned above is annoying to me in slow stop/go traffic. I could say it annoying/surging around 10-15 mph in 1st, low 20-25 mph in 2nd and 30-35mph in 3rd .. all of which are in the 3000 to 3600 rpm range. Get past those rpms and it smooths out. Had the dealer check throttle body synch and idle (just because they wouldn't during the 1st service). Nothing changed after throttle body synch checked. At this point, I just accept it and enjoy the higher rpms :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Had the dealer check throttle body synch and idle (just because they wouldn't during the 1st service). Nothing changed after throttle body synch checked. At this point, I just accept it and enjoy the higher rpms :)
Strange that the dealer wouldnt check it, as its part of every scheduled service.........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you folks think there will be a noticeable difference when I add Graves exhaust with Power Commander?:):)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Strange that the dealer wouldnt check it, as its part of every scheduled service.........
Mine tried to skip it on my 1st service, sat down for 15 minutes and they were done. Looked at the invoice and asked where the sync was, then had them bring it back in to finish the job.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine did right before I had the Throttle Bodies Synced. They were off, and one of em especially so. Have you done this yet?

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I first bought my 1990 F150 with a 302 engine, it had some knocking coming from the lower end. Scared the crap outta me ( I would of had to put a 347 in it... Economical ;)
Anyways, took it to a mechanic and he told me if there is no loss of power, or anything irregular, it is just a noisy engine. Put 50k miles on it since then and runs like a champ, although still a little noisy.

As far as the FZ goes - I used to think it made all kinds of weird noises mostly because I am used to a single cylinder thumper 250 that sounds a lot different. 4 thousand miles later the FZ still makes all the engine noise (whine, clutch, triple goodness, etc.) however, performance has never suffered, and it is a well designed, well built piece of machinery.

You have an 847cc engine that puts out over 100 hp.. Not many people can say that! Like everybody is saying, focus on what the bike will do, ride often, and enjoy your 2014 Yamaha FZ-09!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts