Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Many times new riders make mistakes that lead to unintentional dismounts and the dropping of ones beautiful and beloved motorcycle.

in that regard i always advise new riders to purchase a solid used motorcycle to gain the experience required to avoid these mistakes..... something that wont break the bank if you happen to throw it down the road or just drop it in a parking lot. a good dual sport would be my first advice.

But if you have the coin and desire a brand new motorcycle then i say purchase what you want.....Life is too short....its just a motorcycle.... you desire to be a rider..... a true rider is always in control of his /her machine...... you are in control of the throttle so the motorcycle will not do anything that you do not direct it to do......... period.

take the time for basic rider training courses.... take the time for advanced rider training courses and spend some time on a track to give your riding skills a chance to mature before you start mixing it up with 4 wheel death machines on the road.

I cannot over state this. You do not want to be figuring out/ or even thinking about how to control a motorcycle while also dealing with distracted drivers who are trying their level best to kill you......

·
Registered
103 Posts
ABS and traction control could be a perfect safety net for a beginning rider (and experienced rider as well).... its very nice the XSR900 has both ABS and TC as well as a nice slipper clutch (couple of times i could have used one back in the day).

Ride modes can tame throttle response until you have enough experience to want more.

Its not that tall a bike so being able to get both feet down is good for a newbie (unless said newbie is vertically challenged.)

I really dont think the XSR900 can be labeled too big.... it's only 847cc and actually weighs less than many 600cc bikes. it carries a lot of that weight low so it handles more like a bicycle/supermoto than a superbike. Thats one of the main things i like about the bike is the fact it seems to disappear under me when riding in the twisties.... which proves a good balance of power/handling and braking is there.

Since you have ridden mountain bikes i know you are aware of the risk management part of riding as well as avoiding target fixation (look where you want to go).... those skills will translate directly to riding a motorcycle.

Being proficient with your street skills will take time and lots of practice but IMO that is no reason to have to ride a POS bike around. I mean what kind of beater bike can you get that has ABS? traction control? slipper clutch? The wrong bike can hurt your desire to ride if your heart isnt with it... I know i would rather learn on a bike that i love and that was capable of growing with me

In the end everyone has to steer their own boat... but if you do decide to get a cheaper bike to learn on let it be because the XSR was 'too nice' not because it's 'too big'

Obligatory bike pic...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Compared to a bicycle the grip provided by a modern motorcycle tire will be a revelation. I've been street riding for 36 years and mtn biking for at least that long... before it was even called mtn biking.... it was just called riding a bicycle in the woods on the same singletrack i rode my dirtbike on.

i have never had even one of those 'hand of God throwing me down' moments on a motorcycle like i have had many many times on a bicycle....

Hey i thought i was riding my bike and now i am laying on the ground having trouble breathing..... isn't the sky really blue today?....

Maybe thats why i'm the way i am now cause a few of those moments happened before bicycle helmets were even invented!!! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I still have the first brand new motorcycle i ever bought.... 1985 RZ350 in surprisingly the same colors as my XSR.... it is about the love.

yes i have dropped it, but you know what?......i fixed it and kept riding it

The motorcycle will never do that crazy stuff all by itself.... and FYI passing cars at 105mph on one wheel on public roads does not score well in the risk management dept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts