Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just keeping it real here. Had the FZ-09 for two years and absolutely loved it in town. But on the highway or at speeds over 70, ughhh. The bike is not planted. Granted, I had a 2015 with no upgrades to the suspension which may be the reason for the "loose" feeling at high speeds. I was going to get a stabilizer just before selling it after a very intense I-75 run from Tampa to Ft. Myers. My ass would pucker every time I passed a semi or even other cars above 80 as the front end would feel loose and unstable (like it wanted to wobble).

After selling the FZ I recently picked up a '13 Monster 797 (all stock) and jesus, what a difference at speed. Solid as a rock. It's braking and handling are amazing too. No, you don't get the trill of the 0-60 pull the FZ provides, but I'm having a blast on the Monster.

Anyway, I may get back into an FZ-09 one day, especially with all the upgrades in the newer models.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
2014 FZ-09 and yes there was a couple times before adding a windscreen the front end felt light in bad wind and when accelerating hard. After installing an MRA Vario Touring Windscreen, the bike feels planted at any speed. I have been in some nasty Chinook winds with no issues and had the bike up to 190 kph (118 mph) quite a few times with no issues. The windscreen acts light a front end spoiler and keeps the front end planted. You may not be getting the same down forces front a small sport screen. Unfortunately MRA does not make the same windscreen for the LED headlight setup on the 2017, so not sure how the 2017 version works???

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ-09 '14-'16 | TwistedThrottle.com

Product Font Technology Vehicle Photography

The spoiler can be easily adjusted with one hand while riding, but I usually leave it all the way up. It might be a little to large for some peoples taste, but I don't even really notice it anymore.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yea I will admit, not a good highway commuter. But again, I never felt unstable or wobbly at a steady 80-85mph. Where the FZ loses in my eyes is the wind. I have a Puig sport screen and that helps, but I ended up investing in an amazing helmet to help. I got an arai defiant helmet designed for naked and unfaired bikes. It made a huge difference in comfort ecspecially over long distances. Next up is a new seat but no matter what, you won't fix the wind without a huge windscreen, which I have heard can also have negative effects on steering at speed due to where they mount on our bikes compared to others. If highway is your main use for a bike, you could live with the fz but may want to shop around

·
Banned
1,065 Posts
I have a massive windscreen and it actually makes the windnoise worse. It ends up directing a more concentrated wind blast right on your helmet.

I can't stand it, but it's a necessary evil when the other option is a constant really cold wind blast on your entire body.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honestly I just think on a motorcycle your not going to get the same 'comfort' that you get in a car, no matter the bike. I rode a honda before getting the Fz and even with a full fairing and a decent sized windscreen, the wind would beat me up on cold days on the highway. I suspect if the distance is long enough even guys on gold wings would complain about comfort.

Its a bike, not a Cadillac

I never liked boring straight highways anyway, motorcycling is a recreational activity, and I find no joy in a long, straight grey concrete highway

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a massive windscreen and it actually makes the windnoise worse. It ends up directing a more concentrated wind blast right on your helmet.

I can't stand it, but it's a necessary evil when the other option is a constant really cold wind blast on your entire body.
Quality gear, including an electric liner takes care of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well FWIW, my '15 feels just fine even in howling gusty side winds as long as I'm under 80 or so. Over 100 the front end gets pretty floaty and sketchy feeling, but I never go that fast so it doesn't worry me. I think a proper fork setup would probably fix that right up, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I rarely ride on the highway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've had this bike since it came out and still don't think it's dangerous. My R3 is more "dangerous" as far as a bike that will kill you (rear tire locks easily, gets stuck and won't shift into gear which can be a bit of an issue with cars behind you). I never felt the FZ was trying to kill me like that R3 was, I couldn't imagine getting the R3 as a new rider. You know the FZ is fast and you need to ride accordingly. Making beginner mistakes if you don't know what you are doing or not respecting the power of the bike could both be dangerous. I'm also a lighter rider and haven't experienced the "bad suspension." I also like the feel of the throttle and expect how it reacts, so that's not an issue either. If you feel the need to test out the 0 to 60 all the time, know yourself and maybe this bike won't be a good idea. Who you are as a rider matters.

Reactions: LouG and ridetofish

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've ridden MT-125 for 430miles. Then done Honda NC750S for another 300miles, then bought XSR900 and I have no issues. Done around 100miles now on my XSR. It's all about riders maturity and approach. If you don't twist the wrist like a maniac and won't do it accidently on a pothole due to too tight grip you should be fine.

Motorcycles are not dangers. Riders and drivers around you are.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Before I purchased my FZ I asked the same questions...I think when anyone asks "is it dangerous" they mean...did the manufacturer do some odd/weird things with this bike to make it faulty/hair trigger like or mal-equipped or like a Frankenstein bike instead of a properly genetically bred machine with all the right traits in all the right places etc...

In my opinion no...it is not exceptionally. dangerous...it does have tons of torque with virtually instant delivery though, which on a scale of magnitude for sensitivity and delivery I would say it's about twice as quick in that respect than any other bike I've ridden so it caaaaan get you into trouble. Definitely brought some of my MSF Course knowledge back when talking about accelerating without wrist motion and using locked wrist and elbow and shoulders.

I agree with everyone here...if you have experience on different machines and are patient in learning the machine in incremental steps you'll love/respect it right

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yea I will admit, not a good highway commuter. But again, I never felt unstable or wobbly at a steady 80-85mph. Where the FZ loses in my eyes is the wind. I have a Puig sport screen and that helps, but I ended up investing in an amazing helmet to help. I got an arai defiant helmet designed for naked and unfaired bikes. It made a huge difference in comfort ecspecially over long distances. Next up is a new seat but no matter what, you won't fix the wind without a huge windscreen, which I have heard can also have negative effects on steering at speed due to where they mount on our bikes compared to others. If highway is your main use for a bike, you could live with the fz but may want to shop around

Shark's newer SPARTAN or older version SPEED R are both great as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The head wobble at speed is not a universal problem with the bike. It seems to only certain machines. Some people blame tires, others point to suspension. I've had my fz over 120 mph, accelerating hard, and had no wobble at all. I've adjusted my suspension by starting on a magazines recommendation for my weight and I'm a stickler about tire pressure. I wanted a dampener more on my 2007 R6 than I do on the 2016 FZ. I have had the front end come up much faster than expected, but I was trying to pick the wheel up. It didn't just happen to me. Other times under hard acceleration you will get power wheelies but a good rider will adjust to this (AND ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT). I left a parking lot and while still leaning from my turn out of the lot, I powered the front wheel up under some hard acceleration. It was probably the coolest feeling I've had on this machine, that moment when you realized you just man handled it for a second!! I had no intention of doing the leaning power wheelie, just accelerating hard for smiles.
What magazine's recommendation was that? Can you share please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been planning on getting the fz09 after many years of saving. I've searched the internet about reviews, top speed, power etc.. on youtube and found many people highlighting how dangerous it is. I've come through a video where he said he almost backflipped when encountering a bump as he twisted his throttle by just a little and seeing C2W saying even B MODE is too much power to feel 'controllable'. Is it that dangerous or are those exaggerations?

I've ridden a 125 for 2 years and a 500 for a year, is that enough to cope with the torque monster?
I bought this bike as my first bike after having only CMSP (california MSF) course 2 days on a dual sport as experience. Bought it from a dude and rode it home 2 hours on the highway that day in traffic in B mode as was totally fine. I've had it for a month since and love everything about it (including STD mode)

I think being safe with it is dependent upon who is riding it. If you have riding experience, your chances of backflipping it are pretty much zero if you are being safe riding it.
I've accidentally wheelied it once (a very small wheelie) but it was because I was testing out the STD mode acceleration at its max. You need to lean forward when accelerating it to keep the wheel down, but it is not that aggressive.

The modes are not that different for everyday riding. B mode is definitely not too much power lol. Nice smooth acceleration and such. STD mode makes the bike a bit angrier. A mode is the danger zone...it turns into a fire breathing dragon/wheelie machine/speed demon in A mode.

So in conclusion, definitely people are exaggerating. But still be careful!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts